• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MB JEEP Research

farmguy

Hey everyone,

I don't get on here often but have a few questions I hope someone would like to help me with. I have a plastic model MB Jeep I am building and am trying to research it as much as I can. I am trying to amp up my game on this one and want to get it very realistic down to, proper engine coloring, typical damage that these jeeps might have received on the frontline, typical rust spots, wear and tear. And usual filthiness of the jeep, is it easy to get mud inside the jeep, blood stains on medical jeeps, is the windshield easy to keep clean? Did the drivers keep the engine spotless or was it a bit more ragged? Would the undercarriage have been rusted or muddy or both? Things of that nature. I have been doing research however most the pictures are either black and white making it a bit harder to decipher or modern pictures of fancy decked out jeeps with shiny OD, custom engines painted vibrant colors and other such things that make it a bit annoying. These questions may seem odd but nothing ruins a model more than adding mud and rust in the wrong places, I want this model to have a regular worn out appearance for a jeep in the ETO, not a beater that looks like it was shot up then torched then rolled in the mud and not a jeep that just rolled off the assembly line all gussied up and pretty. If anyone could help me with this endeavor I would be grateful! Pictures would also be a huge help, I've never even seen a MB engine with my own eyes, let alone a good color photo.
Thanks in advance!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a model forum, feel free to share more there.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
MB engines were green, GPWs were Ford gray.

This thread might be of some help, but the majority of the pictures are in B&W-color WWII shots are uncommon.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...vorite-pictures-this-time-let-s-do-WWII-Jeeps!

In short, if you look at enough pictures, you'll realize that Jeeps in WWII look nothing like what you see in parades: they're beat to death, missing parts, cobbled together to keep running (driving junk is better than walking), etc.

FrankUSMC

If you are going for detail, there is one item that is always over looked on WWII jeep models. That is the front springs. If you look at the photos that clinto provided, look at the jeeps that are in combat, them look at photos of restored jeeps. The jeeps in combat, the front springs are very tired. I read a great story years ago written by a WWII combat veteran, and in several of the photos he had he pointed out how worn out the front springs were on there jeeps.
Another item you could add just to make the other modelers crazy, mix up the tires. That is if you are building a jeep in the later part of the war. The Army had one huge shortage of tires after DDay. They were having civilian tires shipped in to fill the gap. Think about it, how many flat tires you would have driving down the road with ammo on it, nice POINTED ammo, and jagged pieces of shrapnel. You can go though tires very fast.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

61sleepercab

WWII Jeeps had a 90 day life expectancy or so in combat. Try finding news reel film for some as used conditions. Movies sometimes dress up stuff and it is funny how many Korean era deuces find their way into WWII films. I had a Willys MB but it had been repainted so I cannot help on petina . Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks