• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MCAS - Miramar Air Show

TheRecorder

*****Air Show 2011 - Miramar*****

It’s time once again to make plans to attend this years Miramar air show. September 30th October 1st and 2nd 2011.

I have already contacted Major Stephen “MadDog” Nagel - USMC to schedule our display for the weekend.

SS member, JD Toumanian, myself TheRecorder, will be there and anyone with their MV to display, are welcome to attend this 3 day event. There are some things to coordinate prior to arriving and entering MCAS Miramar. Some simple “Do” and “Do Not Do” items as well since it is a Military installation.

All in all, it’s a fantastic time to come together amongst some 800,000 people (2009 count), and let them see what these Steel Soldiers are all about. Plus you get to see an awesome display of Military Air Power and tactics along with many other activities, sights and sounds.
You can post questions and I’ll get the answer posted as well.

Revised 7-25

I have new information regarding requirements for Military vehicles at Miramar. I have been informed that MV's wanting to attend should be original as far as standard military equipment, military paint and appearance. Since this show will be seen by 100's of thousands of people hosted by the military, they wish to have these standards observed.

***** “At Ease” *****

MCAS Miramar Air Show - Highlight Reel (2009)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W43z6H01tEc&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

Attachments

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
Thanks Jim, my first question, since it is a 3 day event, do you set up everyday, or set up once and go back to the event during operating hours?.. or do you and Jon camp out and ride bikes like Chino? :)

and being that this is a longer-bigger event,,, on a base,,, what general rules apply-- are BBQs allowed,? that kind of stuff.....hemet ryan was easy going.....(How would this compare to all 3 chino ryan mirmar )

Last edited:

shannondeese

The best part of the airshow is going to happen the day before visitors are allowed in. On the 29th my squadron is returning home from our deployment. We will be flying in formation and doing a "Hollywood' shut down. then all of us will file out of the back of the birds and formup. March forward stop and be dismissed and then our families run out to us on the line. If any of you are there early and are setting up your displays. Look down towards Hanger 6 when you see all the helicopters flying in formation in the afternoon. It's a very moving sight.

usmctopgun

The best part of the airshow is going to happen the day before visitors are allowed in. On the 29th my squadron is returning home from our deployment. We will be flying in formation and doing a "Hollywood' shut down. then all of us will file out of the back of the birds and formup. March forward stop and be dismissed and then our families run out to us on the line. If any of you are there early and are setting up your displays. Look down towards Hanger 6 when you see all the helicopters flying in formation in the afternoon. It's a very moving sight.
Sounds awesome, would love to see that.

On a side note, I've been to air shows all across the US and abroad, Miramar is still my favorite! I miss San Diego everyday!

deuceaid

Banned

I take it that you ride 53`s,, ( my Favorite!), I would have been a 53 driver, but my health kept me out of the service. That would be fun, a friend of mine told me about the fly-in a few years back..... I really should get down there to see it...

TheRecorder

Thanks Jim, my first question, since it is a 3 day event, do you set up everyday, or set up once and go back to the event during operating hours?.. or do you and Jon camp out and ride bikes like Chino? :)

and being that this is a longer-bigger event,,, on a base,,, what general rules apply-- are BBQs allowed,? that kind of stuff.....hemet ryan was easy going.....(How would this compare to all 3 chino ryan mirmar )

Basic rule applies for all air shows. Must be in position, stopped and static on the flight line prior to the public opening. We arrived on base Thursday late afternoon last year, parked in our designated site, rode our bikes out and stayed in a hotel just off base, to return in the morning prior to opening time to set up etc. Since it's a Military base, we were told we can not camp in our vehicles.

I'm not entirely sure yet, but I don't think BBQs would be a good idea on the flight line with all those people. We would be attatched to the Aircrew static displays which has a terrific "Aircrew Chalet" that provides food and beverage (FREE) throughout each day, provided you have the appropiate wrist bands for each day, along with access to the Air Show Chalet up front in the bleacher area to watch the show if you want.

This will be similar to Hemet and Chino, but on a much larger scale.
It's esiest to leave the MV's in place on base, once in position, rather that driving them to and from off base locations due to narrow time periods and distance. Each time you enter the base, you would have to go through an inspection process.
You can have a support vehicle (POV) to use to get on and off base and would be much easier, plus there is a designated VIP type area on the tarmac near our display that we can use as opposed to public parking much farther away.

I hope the helps getting started on what to exspect, there is more but it's time to go to work at 10:30 p.m. tonight. Need Diesel Money.

Last edited:

TheRecorder

This is great info !

Rustygears

Might just do it. Need to see if I can get my new rubber by then. Can't drive it until it's replaced. Those 17 year old rotting Super single michelins are death traps. If not this year then next for sure.

I go to the miramar show every year and of all the shows cross the country I've been to, it's the best by far. It was even better two years ago when the t-birds did the show because the angels were too busy enjoying Hawaii to squeeze in one of the largest domestic shows that they have always done for decades. The t-birds put on a superior show.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would love to attend, but sadly the dates are the same for my annual trek to Vegas for Frozen Fury, which I never miss. Maybe next year the dates will work out (Frozen Fury can be a week earlier on occasion).

Hope you all have a great time.

deuceaid

Banned
I`m starting to sound corny , but is there a flag raising ceremony ... I was watching the vids from ryan, and I saw alot of flags in trucks...... ,,,, but we never had any official ceremony to raise the flag......

why even bother,,, we enjoy retired MVs, but we dont reflect the original reason that we can enjoy them.......

I myself (in hind sight) believe we should have drawn a line off the sides of the trucks and set up a pole and raised the flag, I would even like an Honor gaurd to unfold and raise....... (sorry , my 3rd grade grounds keeper-teacher,,, tought us how to raise and lower the flag--- and what to do if it touched the ground!!):rant:

deuceaid

Banned
Would love to attend, but sadly the dates are the same for my annual trek to Vegas for Frozen Fury, which I never miss. Maybe next year the dates will work out (Frozen Fury can be a week earlier on occasion).

Hope you all have a great time.

Bill please explain what that is, or at least give us a link---- nothing is frozzen in LV, except the prime rib, and filet minot and all the rest of the food...

shannondeese

Actually my MOS is for CH-46E airframes and hydraulics. But I have been around long enough that I have worked on the CH-53E for a few years too. Now I am the Airframes Division Chief so I have CH-46E's, CH-53E's, AH-1W's, UH-1N's, and AV8-B's that I am responsible for. I will be glad to be off this boat and back in San Diego. I live about 10 minutes from Mirimar. Next year for the airshow Ya'll are welcome to come to the house for a BBQ. I'll be a bit busy this year, I think the wife would kill me if I had BBQ the weekend after I got home. Enjoy the show.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill please explain what that is, or at least give us a link---- nothing is frozzen in LV, except the prime rib, and filet minot and all the rest of the food...
Frozen Fury is a pre-season hockey game between the LA Kings and the Colorado Avalance at the MGM in Las Vegas. It is a must do for any hockey fan, let alone a Kings fan. Basically 3-4 days of drunk hockey fans having a good time.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen Miramar since 2001 (pre-9/11). I told them I used to be stationed there as a squid and they let me on the base. I drove all over the place and except for the hangars there was nothing left.

I lived in the old WWII barracks before I left.

I always enjoyed the air shows and it was the place I saw the YF-17 fly before it was accepted as the F-18.

firefirefire90

I know my dad's friend Jim Ostrich will be there. Idk if you guys know him around here but I know he has a willy's jeep, M35, 1 m1009, and 1 m1028/1008(idk which), the Mig 21 Fishbed Cockpit display, 2 T-28's, and I think a Aero L-29 from I think it's warbirds west air museum?

TheRecorder

I know my dad's friend Jim Ostrich will be there. Idk if you guys know him around here but I know he has a willy's jeep, M35, 1 m1009, and 1 m1028/1008(idk which), the Mig 21 Fishbed Cockpit display, 2 T-28's, and I think a Aero L-29 from I think it's warbirds west air museum?

Great, we met Jim last year as we were set up adjacent to his "Warbirds West Air Museum" display. A really great person. I will email him and let him know we'll be there too.

Here is his display to the left of ours.
The two people standing together to the very left in the photo, Jim is the one on the left.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheRecorder

I haven't seen Miramar since 2001 (pre-9/11). I told them I used to be stationed there as a squid and they let me on the base. I drove all over the place and except for the hangars there was nothing left.

I lived in the old WWII barracks before I left.

I always enjoyed the air shows and it was the place I saw the YF-17 fly before it was accepted as the F-18.

Well, I know it would be AWSOME for you to make it. I know that would be a big task from Ohio.
I stayed in the same barracks for a time at Fort Riley just below Custer Hill, Camp Forsyth Camp Forsyth, Ft. Riley, KS; 2d L & L Area, the barracks are longer there as of 2005, I did the exact same thing. While driving to Overland park Ks. from Calif. I stopped in to re-live some past memories, and many things have changed from when I was stationed there. However, It all came back to life in a fond way.

Good Times !

TheRecorder

Might just do it. Need to see if I can get my new rubber by then. Can't drive it until it's replaced. Those 17 year old rotting Super single michelins are death traps. If not this year then next for sure.

I go to the miramar show every year and of all the shows cross the country I've been to, it's the best by far. It was even better two years ago when the t-birds did the show because the angels were too busy enjoying Hawaii to squeeze in one of the largest domestic shows that they have always done for decades. The t-birds put on a superior show.

Try,Try,Try

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks