• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Me-262

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The government has more than a few originals tucked away.
Along with other German aircraft that were cutting edge during the war.
Nice big hanger packed full.

No
I haven't any pics and never will and cannot say location.
But they do exist
Ah yes! The Goobermint has lots of those BIG HANGERS, MASSIVE UNMARKED WAREHOUSES and even some HOLLOW MOUNTAINS that "don't exist".
Even Hollywood knows all about them.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRP0MBNoieY

"This forum will self destruct in 10 seconds."

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, MAN.

Am I in trouble, AGAIN?!

View attachment 677453

No, Sir, not in any more trouble (right now).
I was referring to the SECRET storage facilities and any discussion of them "self-destructing" to maintain their secrecy.

As for the ME-262 - I've read much on it's flight characteristics. She wasn't the most aerobatic bird in the air. That's why, in spite of its speed, that allies still managed to shoot some of them down.

They were indeed yet another step forward in manned-flight.

Another Ahab

I was reading somewhere that the A-10 "Warthog" was in part designed by a former Luftwaffe pilot who flew in the Me-262's towards the end of the war, and had some take-away from the experience.

The nose-mounted cannon in those things (6 of them I think it was), was firing rounds that each weighed like a half-pound or something. They were relatively low velocity but packed a punch. If I can find that link again I'll post it.

She was never meant as a fighter apparently. Her role was bomber interceptor. It's good that they showed up so late.

Another Ahab

I was reading somewhere that the A-10 "Warthog" was in part designed by a former Luftwaffe pilot who flew in the Me-262's towards the end of the war, and had some take-away from the experience.

The nose-mounted cannon in those things (6 of them I think it was), was firing rounds that each weighed like a half-pound or something. They were relatively low velocity but packed a punch. If I can find that link again I'll post it.

She was never meant as a fighter apparently. Her role was bomber interceptor. It's good that they showed up so late.
I had it wrong.

It was Hans-Ulrich Rudell (the ace Stuka pilot, not an Me-262 flyer), who was apparently consulted on development of the A-10.

Another Ahab

Joke all you want but they are there.

It is what it is.
Don't get me wrong, Tinstar. I believe you!

I was just wondering where the Smithsonian has the Me-262 that they display to the public.

I grew up around here, and what a lot of people from out of town can't know is that "The" Smithsonian, is not just ONE museum.

I think overall there are about 15-20 museums within the Smithsonian "system".

My guess would be that the Me-262 is out at Uvar-Hadzy.

Another Ahab

I was just wondering where the Smithsonian has the Me-262 that they display to the public.

I grew up around here, and what a lot of people from out of town can't know is that "The" Smithsonian, is not just ONE museum.

Don't waste your time betting on me in any tie-breaker!

As I learned from ColdWarrior, the internet is my friend. And I'm my own worst enemy. I was completely wrong:

- The Me-262 is downtown, at the Air and Space Museum. I haven't been there in years. Might need to return soon (I mean it's FREE, right?!):

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But do you know where the Me-262 on public display is?
Last time I saw the Smithsonian's 262, it was at the National Air and Space Museum in DC.

The Me-262 I've seen most recently was in the Naval Aviation museum on NAS Pensacola (last month). I've also seen them at the Evergreen Air Museum in Oregon (a couple of years ago), the RAF Museum at Hendon (outside London) a while back, and at the USAF Museum in Dayton.

Cheers

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah yes! The Goobermint has lots of those BIG HANGERS, MASSIVE UNMARKED WAREHOUSES and even some HOLLOW MOUNTAINS that "don't exist".
Even Hollywood knows all about them.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRP0MBNoieY

"This forum will self destruct in 10 seconds."
Joke all you want but they are there.

It is what it is.
LOL - Wasn't joking!
I have been in quite a few of those places that don't exist myself.
"Never saw it. Never happened."

and... That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The now infamous NSA stood for No Such Agency back when I was assigned to it. Only since its now wide-spread publicity can I now cautiously speak of it.

Another Ahab

If your guessing Eastern US, you would be very cold.
I'm no wizard and that's for certain, Mr Tinstar, because I thought maybe you meant the Smithsonian facilities over in Suitland MD.

That's always been kind of their storage "cellar" for stuff they can't fit into the various museum buildings.

Back before Udvar-Hazy got built that's where a lot of the aircraft there were stored.

If I remember right, the Suitland facility was always open to the public (secrecy is kind of the EXACT opposite of the Smithsonian mission). But it was never really publicized by them. Not sure what the deal about that is now.

Funny, I'm born-and-raised here but I've never been out there to Suitland to check it out.

If I find something about it I'll post it up here.

Another Ahab

If I remember right, the Suitland facility was always open to the public (secrecy is kind of the EXACT opposite of the Smithsonian mission). But it was never really publicized by them. Not sure what the deal about that is now.

Funny, I'm born-and-raised here but I've never been out there to Suitland to check it out.

If I find something about it I'll post it up here.

Here you go, I found this.

I notice here it says "not open to the public", but I'm pretty sure that's all post 9/11 and due now to security concerns.

I'm remembering back in the day that you could go out there if you wanted to (or at least I think I'm remembering that right), but I never knew anybody that went and checked it out:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks