• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Me and my boy went for a drive today.

KsM715

Ive lived in this area for 15 years now and always wanted to hike up to the top of this hill right across I-70 from Marshall Army Airfield (on Ft Riley) but never got around to doing it. So today me and my 8 year old son, Colby, went for a drive. (sadly not in a MV) The little park there has a few small arty pieces and one little tracked APC. I knew what the piece at the top of the hill was but I dont know what the others are. well except the 155, it had a sign beside it but the others had the signs missing.

It looks like someone has taken something off the Atomic gun recently, in the one pic you can see that cylinder above the gun is still shiney and it looks like all the other cylinders have been painted over.

Some Blackhawks were doing some touch and go's down on the airfield. It was pretty neat to sit up there and watch them for a bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jeff I did the same thing last Saturday coming back from Salina. The smaller gun is a 75MM, the apc is a M114, wish I had it as it will fit in a garage!
Have you taken him to the Museums on post? The are 2 the Calvary and the 1st Div.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting! Sorry, but that has to be the worst maintained display I have ever seen. I know the Army has other priorities, but the displays at other bases are night and day from that.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff,

Thanks for posting that trip. I've driven by and wondered what exactly was on that hilltop...now I know. Too far to make a trip myself, unless I happen to be going out west again sometime. I might have to make an extra day to stop and check it out.

KsM715

Jeff I did the same thing last Saturday coming back from Salina. The smaller gun is a 75MM, the apc is a M114, wish I had it as it will fit in a garage!
Have you taken him to the Museums on post? The are 2 the Calvary and the 1st Div.
We haven't gone as a family but I have been to those Museums, when I was stationed there back in the 90's in the USAF

Thanks for posting! Sorry, but that has to be the worst maintained display I have ever seen. I know the Army has other priorities, but the displays at other bases are night and day from that.
They are off Post I dont think they are maintained by the US Army. On the M114 both taillights have had the lenses stolen and the lenses on the front lights are gone as well and all the glass in the periscopes is busted out.

The displays that are set up at the museum and around the different units on post are in much better shape.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, do you know who the displays belong to then? I wonder if they could be adopted by a military musuem somewhere that is on good terms with the CMH (Center for Military History).

KsM715

I dont know but I can find out. I drive by it about 2-3 time a week. I wire houses and do service calls over that way all the time.

KsM715

Being 1 of only 3 youd think it would be somewhere were peple cant scibble on it and scratch their names in the paint. but on the other hand my son loved climbing all over it and I'll admit I climbed up to look around too.

KsM715

heres one just north of Yuma

So the sign here at Ft Riley says one of three, the other two are in Ft Sill, and Aberdeen. Hmmmmm? Now I have to find out who is in charge of this display so we can get the facts straightend out and get the signs updated.

GoHot229

Theres a SS Member who posted a utube video of the Atomic Gun , its transport, setup, and fireing. Most impressive, and what was even more titelatious was the M? vehicle pulling the trailer/gun-frame, a sort of precurser to the Hmmet. Time with the kids is always a good investment in their future. We need to weigh what's 'really' important and what can wait, and invest the time in our family and dear ones, time goes by too quickly. remember the song "The Cats in the Cradle" how true.

DyoMikeR

Thats cool. I live in Salina and have drove by there many many times. Next time i will have to stop and make the walk up to check them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks