• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Me and my Deuce FISH for residents in Trenton, NJ

NJDrillSgt

That was us on the news, click our page to check out other photos about the flood. We were a Godsend to the Trenton PD....we even SAVED Gov. Corzine from the waters - he decided his suburban would make it through 4 ft of rushing water....we pulled him into my deuce shortly after. We worked 56 hours....no water in the engine, just in the rears....they are drained and filled already. Blew two inner/left rear tires as well...she made it 70 miles home with no problem. God - I love this truck. In addition, we needed to be able to go deeper than 6 ft (8ft to be exact) and didn't own a snorkle....so I make one - PVC, 90MPH tape, etc...

www.cma-usmcc.org/news.html

Steve

m.walker

Job well done congrats , it's a shame no one else was prepared enough to help ! This might be a wake up call for people preparing their vehicles , get it done now you don't know when you'll need it !

NJDrillSgt

Myself and a few other staff members here are starting an Emergency Response Team to mobilize for these types of things - on a volunteer basis. Anyone interested to learn more can drop me an email at:

hq@cma-usmcc.org

rdixiemiller

Make sure you service all the wheel bearings. As deep as you were, check the tranny and t-case for water. In that one picture, you were very close to getting a slug of water into the engine, not a good thing.
Look up the threads that Cranetruck has on fording his deuce. If you are going to respond to these floods, you need to make sure you are not going to drown out and need rescue yourself!
Good work, y'all did great!

rmgill

Bravo for rescuing your Governor. Did he say anything about a civilian with a privately owned "army truck"?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Steve, gutsy performance and glad it ended well!

Gerhard, the steam blown from the exhaust is probably due to a leak in the exhaust system. As long as the rpm is kept up the water will be turned to steam , but if the engine stalls for some reason, the pipe will fill with water and it may become impossible to start the engine again.

I'm interested in knowing other preps that must have been done, some things are very forgiving on this vehicle as we all know, but you can't let the compressor suck water and the crankcase breather operates with very little positive pressure and in water deep enough to cover the engine, the crankcase would begin to take on water, etc.
In more than six feet of water, the cab will quickly fill up, eight feet of water would require a very tall driver or breathing apparatus. :)
Still curious about these things, so Steve, please let us know the details, thanks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I figured, Bjorn. Diesels don't swallow water for long! 6 feet would be over the hood! Very unforgiving for a deuce without the fording kit attached... :shock:

Gerhard

Katch1

outstanding! the picture throught the chain link fence tells all, I hope you advised your gov. to use more common sense in the future

Desert Rat

At the very least I would seriously get one of the 3&1/2 inch elbows from NAPA and install it between the mushroom and the air filter canister. It does two beneficial things. First it gets the mushroom top level so water does not collect in the lobe over the mesh and rust through the mushroom. Secondly, it gets you an additional eight inches in height to put it within eyeshot of the driver's vision so you know when to back up and not suck water into the engine. I have one on mine. I spent all of $8 and painted it to look more "military". There are small extensions you can buy too to raise the mushroom higher as well. Don't forget to silicone the ends for a water-tight seal too. Just my 2cents .

NJDrillSgt

If you look in the picture through the fence, it was taken AFTER I rigged a snorkle (I was getting nervous about how close to the intake I was)...The water, at the deepest points, had me sitting up to my waist in the driver's seat. I haven't found those photos yet, but the one through the fence was close.

As for the water in the exhaust, that happens because of leaks. I'm sure the exhaust was waterproof in 69', not anymore. As cranetruck said, as long as the RPMs are up, it spits what's left of the water out...the rest turns to steam.

NJDrillSgt

Anyone in the Jersey area want to make a charitable contribution of parts to the Academy? I am in need of:

Complete set of tires - would like the more squared off looking ones, NDCC??

Snorke kit

Pioneer tool rack (tools too?)

If you have something laying around or would like to help us with the cost, we are a non-profit, charitable contribution organization. We would appreciate anything offered. In addition, we are looking for volunteer instructors, one night per week, one weekend per month, 2 weeks per summer (sounds like a reserve commercial!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks