• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mechanical Brake Light Switch

Ok, not sure this constitutes a true modification but it is a slight upgrade to say the least. Now forgive me if this is beating the dead horse and if I have missed any threads that may have already addressed this, though I did a fair amount of research in order to prevent that but we make mistakes.

I got tired of replacing the Hydraulic Brake light switch on my deuce and didn't like the idea of putting in on my air line ( didn't want the added areas to leak and figured this would not be a good thing to lose brake lights when a sudden and entire loss of air pressure may be experienced) so my Father and I devised a mechanical switch which I hope is going to be fool proof and permanent.
Before I begin a full length thread on something like this I am hoping to see if anyone else has already done this so Im not. :deadhorse: Anyone?

A Blind Man

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about Doing just that with a mechanical NC limit switch and bracket, so that it would engage right on the shaft of the master cylinder, (or rather disengage as soon as you moved the pedal approximately 1/8") but with a new air switch being $20 and considering that these switches are used on all sorts of heavy trucks, I took the easy way out... though I do have to say IMO a loss of brake lights will be the least of your concern when you lose air pressure... just my 2cents though

I can't say that I've seen someone on here do a mechanical brake light switch, but there are lots of build threads that I'm sure someone had to do it for one reason or another. (like switching the brakes from a/hyd to hydro or something else)

Do it anyways, it never hurts to have another person's take on a theme/idea

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about Doing just that with a mechanical NC limit switch and bracket, so that it would engage right on the shaft of the master cylinder, (or rather disengage as soon as you moved the pedal approximately 1/8") but with a new air switch being $20 and considering that these switches are used on all sorts of heavy trucks, I took the easy way out... though I do have to say IMO a loss of brake lights will be the least of your concern when you lose air pressure... just my 2cents though

I can't say that I've seen someone on here do a mechanical brake light switch, but there are lots of build threads that I'm sure someone had to do it for one reason or another. (like switching the brakes from a/hyd to hydro or something else)

Do it anyways, it never hurts to have another person's take on a theme/idea
A leak in a air brake light switch isn't going to cause you to lose your brakes in a instant . These are air assist brakes so you might start to lose the power assit but you will still have brakes . If you pay attention to the air gauge and a working safety buzzer it should be a issue . The biggest issue with these trucks are hydraulic leaks that lead to total brake failure due to the single circut design.

winfred

did it, el-cheapo threaded body brake light switch from phartz stoor on a metal bracket screwed to the floor where the pedal arm can contact it, crimp on bullet connectors fit into the original plug so no modifications done to anything except a couple bit tip screws through the floor

I had an old micro switch laying around in my electronics junk drawer that I bolted to the floor underneath. When the arm I pushed down it breaks contact with the switch which I wired normally closed. I made a pigtail to go from the Packard connectors to the ring terminals so I didn't have to cut my original harness.
Found these Last brackets lying around and made a nice mount without any fabrication as the one has slots on both axes for adjustments. It triggers at approx. 1/8-1/4" of pedal. This way if I lose brake booster due to air loss and have a high hard pedal it still triggers. Plus it's hidden and fairly well protected from road spray and such.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks