• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Medium towbar pin question

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks, sounds like it was operator error, not the pin's fault. Make sure you use the pins that have the clip thingys, not the ball detent type and you will be fine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more warning on pins. You can technically use the pins from the shackles but the diaper pin used to retain them is not up to the task of retaining the pin in the towbar.

randyscycle

One more warning on pins. You can technically use the pins from the shackles but the diaper pin used to retain them is not up to the task of retaining the pin in the towbar.
Since all the load technically should be on the 1" pin itself, and under load the pins shouldn't move, would it really matter about the little "diaper" pin? I mean all it does is keep the 1" pins from falling out, right? Unless the towbar pin were installed upside down there shouldn't be much danger of the small retaining pin taking any load at all I'd think.

Not sure about this and if anyone has any thoughts, by all means please speak up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In theory you are 100% correct, my personal experience counters that. I had one diaper pin shear off. Caught it at a stop/check. The pin was over half way out. Checked the other pin, it was bent at each edge of the pin. This is just my experience, your mileage may vary.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my odd habits, is to carry "electrical tape" in all my vehicles. When towing with a tow-bar, I wrap anything with pins, with the tape, as an extra measure of safety. I wrap the big pins head, down to the bar, I wrap the safety/retaining pins, so they cant get loose or fall off. I wrap the hooks of the saftey chain to the chain.

When chain-binding and hauling with straps or chains, I wrap the hook openings with tape also. If there were a failure, it might keep the hook from becoming unhooked. I also wrap the extra strap (rolled up) with tape, to itself.

It does take a little longer to get ready, and to unbind things, but I feel extremely secure, doing it this way. I also stop often and recheck things as I go. I have never had a failure since doing it this way.(I will not let my guard down though)

I look at other vehicles coming at me and wonder(get scared) often, is that load secure? What if.....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since all the load technically should be on the 1" pin itself, and under load the pins shouldn't move, would it really matter about the little "diaper" pin? I mean all it does is keep the 1" pins from falling out, right?
I will second what Kenny and others said, and base my opinion on personal experience.

I made a tow with the bumper shackle pins and came uncomfortably close to finding out exactly how safety chains work. As it turned out I was lucky, all that happened was the diaper pins sheared and the tow pins almost came loose, so I only had to use the :oops: in my post and take a chiding from the assembled wisdom here. The pin-shearing happened in just a few miles, though it was a winding hilly road.
The attached pic shows what it looked like when we got to the farm.

I did promptly pick up the correct tow pins, won't make the same mistake twice.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

randyscycle

Thanks again for the replies! I appreciate the real-time experience. Not just a friend of a friends, cousins', sister's, boyfriend's, opinion......:-D

So it seems that those pins do move around enough to cause that little diaper pin to shear. I wouldn't have thought so, but under those kinds of stresses, I suppose anything is possible. Guess that is why they only use them for the shackle.

The pins I looked at at TSC, use the 5/16" diameter retaining clips with the fold over ring on them that clips around the 1" pin itself. I'd think that's be a lot safer with the sort of double security. I do like the idea of the electrical tape too. Seems like one more added measure of fail-safe.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at Memphis Equipment yesterday and bought their last clip headed pin ($10) for tow bars so we need another source, with the clip head the pin cannot rotate causing problem for the retaining pin regardless of retaining pin size.
James G.

New tow bar pins

Just bumping this back up. I think it is the most recent in the deuce forum, if not it is still pertinent.
I just received a new complete set of pins from New Venture (an original manufacturer) as mentioned in this thread from the 5 ton forum http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?6473-Tow-bar-pins/page3

Checked them with a dial caliper vs the NSN spec and test fit everything. They fit well and were within tolerance. Shipping was fast and communication with them was superb. They seem expensive on the front end, but if I ever need to use the tow bar (knock on wood) I don't want to have a sub par pin malfunction cause an accident. It came down to the fact that I would rather spend a couple bills than loose a truck, cause an injury, or worse.

If anybody is looking for new pins they said they still have a "few" left. Actually how many I have no idea

The case is an old first aid kit with a temporary ad-hoc label to keep them from getting beat up.

New Pins.jpgFirst aid.jpgCase.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks