• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meetings in Hickory,NC

MDSA

March 14 Wt Meeting

JBlack and I met at exit 106 and convoyed into Hickory for our monthly meeting. J got a real good deal on a Deuce from a guard unit in Alabama. It's a really nice truck. Runs flawlessly. I finally brought an ammo trailer (which is for sale). Had a good meal and good talk.

Attachments

MDSA

I think I'll drive the "old" truck this time. I know my youngest son is working; not sure about the other boy.

Brandon, I'll try to be over your place by 11:30ish so we can convoy.

MDSA

April Meeting

Our April meeting in Hickory was different. I got stuck behind my house - sort of.

We had a lot of rain Friday so the hill behind my house was just too slick for the Deuce to climb Saturday morning. So I drive over to Brandon's in the pickup and find Bruce and Shannon already there. Brandon wants to show off the "New" truck and offers to pull me up the hill. I'm only 5 minutes from Brandon so off we go.

Because of a creek and manhole I can't get a running start at the hill and can't quite get up the steep bottom of the hill. Brandon backs part way into the woods and we hook my winch to his pintel. The winch was just enough pull to get me up and then I was under my own power.

After reeling in the cable, Brandon can't get out of the woods because of a lip a few feet from the pavement abd everything is slicks. I'm thinking, "Oh great, now how are we going to get him out?" But he backs up, pulls in his mirrors, and takes a running start at the lip and makes it up and out. I then have the same problem but manage to get out. Part of the problem is a tree that narrows the path through the woods so you can't get any speed without knocking off a mirror. That tree is now gone - see pics.

Once mirrors are readjusted we are on our way, slinging mud as we go. Bruce is with Brandon and Shannon rides with me. Shannon is having a blast watching the smoke from my non-turbo blackout the cars behind us, and we both get a kick watching the back end of Brandon's truck bounce off the pavement. We literally saw daylight under his tires several times as we hit bumps. Bruce said there was daylight under his butt several times as well.

Had a real good meal and time of fellowship. Discussed many upcoming events. Going to be a busy year. Had a good time, and it was fun to put the trucks through a test.

Attachments

AMGeneral

Don't let the pics fool you,that hill is steep and slick,and you can't get a running start at it either!! And I had to find some way to get pics of the 818 in here somewhere.Definetly gotta get some weight for the rear of the 818(top of my head is still sore!!).

But to quote someones signature line,

"Happiness is a front mounted winch"

AMGeneral

Just FYI,we discussed next month's meeting and it may be an all day affair in conjunction with a local airshow/fly in,details upcoming in future posts,Stay tuned!!!!

MDSA

Slight change in plans. There is an airshow in Morganton which we plan to attend in force as part of the exhibits. So far 4 of us are meeting at AMGeneral's house at 7:30 to convoy to the airport (3 Deuces and a jeep). His house is an easy 1/2 mile off exit 106 on I-40 or you can meet us at the airport anytime.

rsh253

Brian,

I hope I can come. It would probably be easiest for me to meet you at the airport. I might trailer the jeep rather than drive the deuce. Do you see any problem with that?

I'm not familiar with the area, however. Is this the right airport?

Foothills Regional Aviation
3566 Morganton Lenoir Airport Rd, Morganton, NC 28655

Thanks, Russ

MDSA

Yes, that is the right airport. I guess 7:30 would be awful early coming from Rock Hill. We'll look for you whenever you get there.

I know google maps will get you there, but I'd stay out of Morganton proper. If google tells you to take hwy 18 to Antioch Rd, you will have a very tight turn in town. Suggestion: If you get off I-40 at exit 107, take a right at the top of the ramp, then take an immediate left onto Summers Rd once you've crossed over the interstate. Follow Summers about 1+ mile to a cemetery and turn right onto Burke Memorial Park. At the stop sign take a left and then an immediate right onto Zion. Follow Zion to the stop sign. Take a right and an immediate left onto Huffman Bridge Rd. After a couple or 3 miles, you will come to a sharp turn at the Antioch Baptist Church. The airport road is on the right after the church.

Hope this helps.

AMGeneral

Russ,

Sorry,I don't get here much during the day,The way I was gonna route you is a little different,but here goes...

Take I-40 west to exit 107(Drexel) and turn right at the end of the off ramp,Turn right and proceed 4 miles on that road(HWY 114/Main st./Drexel Rd.) then turn left on Amhearst Rd(it's a dead end you have to turn right or left) take Amhearst for 1 mile then turn right onto Huffman Bridge Rd.It turns into Antioch Rd.After you make the right onto Huffman Bridge it is 4 miles to the road taking you to the airport,it is on you right.

Brandon

rsh253

Brian, Brandon,

Thanks for the directions. Now I have a choice on how to get to the airshow! I'll be loading the jeep onto the trailer tomorrow night and plan on meeting you there Sat. morning. Sorry I missed the other thread on this event.

-Russ

AMGeneral

Meeting time/place change

Ok folks,it's that time again,but this month we are trying something different.

Planning to move the meeting time from 12:30 PM to 9:00 AM and moving the meeting site from the Golden corral off exit 125(I-40) to NC HWY 321 Exit 33(Startown Rd.) to a small diner/truck stop. This is somewhat closer to Gastionia and points south and may be a easier commute with an MV(less traffic).

So again,that is 9:00 AM Exit #33(Startown Rd.) off NC HWY 321, coming north bound at the top of the ramp turn right,the diner/truck stop is on the right, coming southbound turn left at the top of the ramp,cross the bridge and the location is on the right.

synchronoize your watches for 9:00 AM Sat June 13th!!

See you there!!!!