• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Megasquirt Injection

steelypip

No reason it won't work, but I've never heard of anybody doing it. Putting injector bungs in that intake manifold wouldn't be the most fun in the world. It would likely get you a little fuel economy, but no more power.

The big problem with boosting the efficiency of a straight six is the long intake manifold, which results in uneven cylinder filling and uneven mixture distribution. The solution is usually to go to a dual plane manifold or three little manifolds (like Jaguar did). As it's a flat head, you're not going to get a lot for your trouble - the compression ratio will always be low, and the chamber will always have a large surface area relative to the volume.

Flatheads are smooth, but they are not noted for great fuel economy or amazing power for a reason.

U1100L

The engine is what it is, efficiency is no concern.

Yes, the injector bungs being a real character builder.

Was thinking the way of Megasquirt fuel only E.C.U. and T.B.I. off something like 4.3 v6 Chevy.
M.A.P, T.P.S and I.A.C are incorporated in the Throttle body along with the injectors. O2 sensor in the pipe, high press. pump.

I know easier said than done.

steelypip

Wouldn't get you a thing over a better carburetor except for less altitude sensitivity, but I see that you're on the east coast, and that's not likely to be an issue either. I know plenty of people have done TBI on things with Megasquirt, and it works fine, but the mixture distribution in the manifold will remain terrible...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would think that a throttle body FI setup from holley would be more easy to install. Just power, fuel, tach, O2, and of course the TB swap/linkage.

teletech

No help with the megasquirt. I ran an early version of the Holley on a AMC 360 where I saw a large jump in mileage and felt it worth the money but more recently I did a Holley Pro-jection TBI 1-bbl kit on a flathead-6 jeep and wish I hadn't. It provided good cold start and running and somewhat more efficient mid-range but no in power and being TBI I could never get the idle quite right. A nice feature is that with infrequently used toys you don't keep having the carburettor dry out which can be an issue for seals and priming before a start but it's a lot of work for that benefit.
You can also run the Holley in open-loop if you don't have a way to mount an O2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks