• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

melted a glow plug wire

Brutusdog

So, I completed the fuel filter replacement today on my M1009. Switched to a Napa spin on thanks to the instructions provided by other SS readers. Works great. Started right up, no leaks, no problems. Turned the truck off and went on to other tasks.

The wife got home, asked what I had beed doing all day. Showed her and started up the truck. After about 20 seconds, engine starts smoking. Quickly shut it off. After inspection, the wire going to the glow plug right under the filter looks like the insulation fried.

After about 20 minutes, of doing other stuff, I started it up again. No problem, no smoke, seems fine other than the insulation messed up on the wire. It was getting dark and I had other obligations so I have done nothing else yet.

Any ideas? Was it related to the filter swap? Maybe I dripped fuel on it causing the problem? Maybe it got pushed up against something hot? Coincidence?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glowplug wires are fusible links. They are designed to protect the system.

mistaken1

...... so there is a good possibility that glow plug wire is now open and will not power that glow plug.

Sounds like something happened that allowed a short circuit from that glow plug lead to the chassis/block causing the fusible link to open.

Brutusdog

I did notice after the smoke that the wire was up against the engine. If I spilled a little diesel, maybe that led to the short. I guess I now need to replace that particular wire. Is that part something Napa would be able to get? I have never messed with the glow plugs, how hard is that to do?

O.D. Fever

I agree with Mistaken, the glow plug shorted out and fried the wire. I had one do that and put on a new wire, smoked again. One new plug and another wire, all is fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks