• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Melted Manifold with Torch

sellbooze

In the removal of my turbo , I broke the rear threaded studs off in the exhaust manifold. This morning I took my blue tip wrench out and while heating up the manifold I melted a small spot.... :shock:
What to do ? carefully grind down ?

SDC12214.jpg

SDC12215.jpg

noaccount

You could grind it off, however if you managed to warp the face even slightly you may have a difficult time getting it to reseal. A visit to a machine shop may be in order.

cornrichard

It looks to me like you just got the surface hot and got a run. It may have warped, but I doubt it. I know that if it was mine I would clip that off with a cut off wheel and put everything back together. The gaskets are cheap and it is only about a 45 min job to pull a turbo. The headache of pulling the exhaust manifold, and then the wait at the machine shop would play into my decision making process. I would bet a 12 pack it will work fine.

Ridgerunner

I'd grind it down, and put everything back togather. It's right at the outer edge of the mounting/sealing surface, on the outside of the bolt anyways. You should be fine. Run it for a bit, then ckeck for leaks.

Jake0147

From that picture you may have, could have, and probably should have a bunch of stuff wrong with that...

Grind it down CAREFULLY back to flat, use a brand new gasket, and I'd bet it'll be fine. If not, all the bolts have already been loosened one way or another, you'll have fresh never seize compound in there anyhow I'm sure, it won't be near such a chore to get back to where you are for more intrusive corrective actions.

I still bet it's fine though. You aren't the first to be faced with that dilemma.

modified

Grind it down and check the flatness with an inked piece of 1/4" flat glass (or a "true" flat surface you trust) pressed against the surface. That should convey obvious deviations. highly unlikely for cast iron to warp as a result of your torch job.

renovate7

Don't know what type of gasket goes in there or it's thickness but can you install 2 gaskets to allow for extra compression in that area, should it be warped?

RANDYDIRT

Get it flat with judicious use of a grinder with a flap wheel. Then coat your new gasket (both sides) with "Oklahoma Chrome" (silver bumper paint).Apply newly coated gasket while still wet with paint. Be sure and have anti-seize on the bolts. The aluminum in the paint will form a good seal, and it won't be that hard of a deal to get back apart if things don't go as planned. I have actually reused head gaskets on a hi-compression small block Ford with this trick.

Your mileage may vary...

Dirt

resqur

I agree with Frodrbaggins...use a belt sander to ensure a flat surfece for the mating...a good dose of copper RTV would be well worth the effort to close any defects from finishing.

sellbooze

All turned out GREAT !!!
I took my grinder , replaced the hard wheel with a flap sand wheel , and slowly took it it down to a nice flat finish. I used a brand new gasket on the exhaust and oil supply. Looks good ! Ran for a while, No leaks as of yet. Got dark on me , so I will run again tomorrow and see how it goes.
Thanks to all my SS family for the input !