• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Melting instrument cluster light lenses

riderdan

All,

I replaced one of my instrument light lenses (the little green-topped turret guys that screw in and out to control brightness) because it had melted. Looking at the other one, I see that it's starting to melt too. I noticed after I tried to turn the lens to change the brightness the other night and it was too hot to touch.

Has anyone else seen this? I think either the lamps aren't correct or the voltage is too high--I don't remember ever having a similar issue in those long ago days when I drove one of these for uncle sugar.

I'm thinking of switching to LEDs. Is the BA9S the correct lamp?

DatGuyC

Do you happen to have the P/N for the LED replacement?
I just got some cheap ba9s based LED bulbs from ebay. Even though the ones I got say they are rated for 24v they seem to burn out pretty quick. I think either the vibrations are killing them or they are really 12v bulbs so I'm in the process of finding some more robust.

Where do you find the clears?
Ebay, though I think Kascar sells them also.

Edit: P/N
[h=1]12339203-1[/h]

Last edited:

ryanruck

Here you go.

Go get your new, clear light caps and just go get some new BA9Ss from SuperBrightLEDs. Then you'll actually be able to read your gauges at night. :mrgreen:

Action

All,

......I replaced one of my instrument light lenses (the little green-topped turret guys that screw in and out to control brightness) because it had melted. Looking at the other one, I see that it's starting to melt too. I noticed after I tried to turn the lens to change the brightness the other night and it was too hot to touch.
I thought we controlled the brightness of the dash lights with the left lever of the light switch....

hummer4x4guy

There was a notice put out some time ago due to this issue and replacement bulbs were sent out. I somehow got a few of the new "kits" with the new proper bulbs to correct this issue. The bulbs in the kit are ge1864, not sure what the bulb # was that originally came in the trucks.

papakb

The problem with the lenses melting has to do with the heat (power) produced by the bulb. Since they are in a closed housing all of that heat is confined and melts the lenses. That problem is eliminated by using LEDs or low power lamps. The problem with low power lamps is their light output is also lower and may not illuminate the gauges enough to see easily. Now the problem with LEDs is that their light outputs tend to be directional so what you want to look for is an LED with diffused output, meaning the light is radiated 360 degrees out the sides. There are plenty of sources for them on the internet and 99% of them come from China. Personally I've been using 10-30v LEDs in a T1 3/4 housing with a BA9S base and have had no problems with burnout or heat since I installed them.

We did put one into the turn signal switch in an M151 one time and it refused to light because the indicator light socket was wired backwards. A regular incandescent bulb doesn't care what the polarity of the power is but it is important to an LED.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

riderdan

Here's the damaged lens
melted-lens.jpg

I've got LEDs in it now, much brighter and not as hot. They were just a dollar or so each, so this was an easy fix.
led-for-instruments.jpg
These little guys have LEDs going all the way around, so they really light it up well.

Last edited:

riderdan

I wouldn't... You're way overpaying for everything there versus piecing it all together on your own. That's about $30 more than you need to spend.
Those o-rings are pretty inexpensive and the replacement light caps aren't that expensive either.
Agreed. That's price is about twice what it's worth. The LED bulbs are all over (Amazon, eBay, etc) and you can get them for a couple bucks each. I think the lens deals are like $8. Unless you don't want to hassle with researching and ordering the parts. But really that eBay seller has a 100% (at least) markup.

ryanruck

I've got LEDs in it now, much brighter and not as hot. They were just a dollar or so each, so this was an easy fix.
View attachment 692879
These little guys have LEDs going all the way around, so they really light it up well.
I forgot to mention I got those exact same lights before my SuperBrightLED ones and after a short time, some of the diodes started flickering off and on at random. Complained to the seller and they sent me new ones. Same thing. Really distracting while driving so keep an eye out... Zero problems out of the SBL bulbs to date.

And kcobean, in case you need it, I happened to have a package with the o-ring sitting right nearby that has the NSN and PN. NSN: 5330-00-297-6329, PN 7358626.

kcobean

I forgot to mention I got those exact same lights before my SuperBrightLED ones and after a short time, some of the diodes started flickering off and on at random. Complained to the seller and they sent me new ones. Same thing. Really distracting while driving so keep an eye out... Zero problems out of the SBL bulbs to date.

And kcobean, in case you need it, I happened to have a package with the o-ring sitting right nearby that has the NSN and PN. NSN: 5330-00-297-6329, PN 7358626.
Thanks Ryan. Do you have a source for the LEDs that you're using (the SuperBrightLED ones, not the ones that flickered).

ryanruck

Thanks Ryan. Do you have a source for the LEDs that you're using (the SuperBrightLED ones, not the ones that flickered).
Right here. The 28v ones are only available in the 32 degree beam angle but, just glue some aluminum foil to the inside of the caps and it diffuses the light better though.

20170705235037-8a915204-me.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks