• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Member in Distress

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somedic is broke down on I57 north of Effingham about 150 miles south of Chicago with a GL deuce. Has fuel issues. Anyone nearby can lend a hand? He's at a truckstop. Info is 2nd info from Offy. Cell is 219-512-4788.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, I didn't see how much time had lapsed between when you posted and when I called till just now.

[thumbzup] glad he got home. he called me and had a issue. talked him threw a few things and he got it to fire back up. and was heading home. last i knew he messaged me and said he just got off I-57.

Somemedic

Gentlemen... stories of my untimely demise were greatly exagerated...

Drove the truck from the TN/MS border up into IL the other night, parents leading with CUCV being towed by me in the 35. Pulled like it wasnt even there. But I have so much more to tell...

I picked up the deuce from Shelby around 12 noon and stayed around trying to figure out if I wanted to drive it home or not since I wasnt sure the brakes were working well. Bled the air tanks and toped off the master cyclinder and pumped them a bit and they were ok but I didnt want to add another 5700 of blazer to find out I was wrong. My dad decided to drive the cucv instead of tow it. Down the road we went. I noticed right off the lights were bad and dim. The volt meter said they werent being charged. Dude on the post said it was ok and they would come up since the truck had been sitting a year but I was thinking otherwise. As the sun went down and we needed another 150miles back to my parents place I knew I wasnt going to make it with brown lights and iffy brakes (They were getting more solid feeling as I drove though). In Tupelo I pulled into a fire station and told my dad I needed some different batts, ones I had in the blazer for the 35 were too big. Firefighter gave me the di-structions to the AZ where I could exchange them. So we exchanged them and put them in the truck and it fired up with bright lights... but the volt meter said no dice. So we made it back to my dads place late but I could see for the moment.

Took the alt into some doofus who said he could fix it in a day or 2 for 150.00 but refused to test it. So I tried a different place in a town called Corinth. That guy could fix with a smaller alt but I was going to have to get my own bracket. Happened by the Corinth MS Natl Guard and they had some guys working out side who gave me a tour and pulled an alt off a hummer with a 6.2 for me. Let me in a sherriff edition with all the bells and whistles but the kicker was the work shop. Its the portable sea cargo sized box that goes onto the back of a hemitt. The sides of the box open up and keep the rain off of you while you step up onto and out of the mud on a grating. the tool box/bench area was illuminated by a 8k gen in the front of the box, the toll area had a welder, compressed air and a hydraulic reel to power ANYTHING. These guys were top notch and the locking cabinet was lined with tool holders and it was all snap on or matco hand stuff. Stupid sweet set up...

Alt worked like a champ. Got the TMs for bleeding the brakes and did that for a firmer feel. Drove it 200miles and it ran like a champ after I dumped 10 gal of waste motor oil into the tank. Loaded up the tank with unleaded and it drove fine.

Next day I was driving and got a heavy fuel smell followed by the motor missing and sputtering. Tracked the line and noticed there was a crack (1/4" air or ice maker tubing). Not too bad for being on the side of I57. Pulled the hose and wrapped it with electrical tape to limp it into a semi repair joint in Effingham. Fixed for under 5 bucks and back on the road. Also loaded up some straight unleaded and drove on up.

Noticed the motor wasnt making the power it was previously and could barely make 50mph. Pulled into a rest stop and it just died. I was getting panicy when I called Darrell. He told me to drain the primary and secondary filters... lotta crap came out. Truck fired up and i pulled the throttle out a bit and called Ernie Baals who mentioned that I might need to thicken up the fuel mix with some diesel. First chance i did and the truck really began to smooth out and make more power. Thank you Ernie Darrell and Chris for the calls and concern, it felt like I wasnt all alone after all.

Ive gotten it home and will take it to the station to replace the filters. Oil seems to be fine and will change it soon. Cant find a dipstick for the tranny level and the trans case stick label is missing. I'll be doing some reading for awhile... thanks alot guys for the help tho

FreightTrain

Banned
The deuce(and Almost all Manuals) don't have dipsticks for the tranny.There is a plug with a square drive half way up the case on the side for checking fluid levels.Same for the transfer case.make sure you don't pull the one that is low down in the case or your gonna get a smelly nasty suprise!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks