• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Member Map not working

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I try the member map, I see it fill up and then goes out and the following message appears

Google has disabled use of the Maps API for this application. The provided key is not a valid Google API Key, or it is not authorized for the Google Maps Javascript API v2 on this site. If you are the owner of this application, you can learn about obtaining a valid key here: http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/v2/introduction.html#Obtaining_Key
Something on SS side or should I change any settings in my browsers?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The members map has been out of commission for some time now.

We need it back someday.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as we pay Google the $10,000 we can get it running again. NOT.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
??

For-profit web sites are permitted to generate up to 25 000 map loads per day using the Google Maps JavaScript API v2.

A map load is counted when a map is initialized on a web page. User interaction with a map after it has loaded (eg. panning the map, zooming the map, or changing from roadmap to satellite map) does not have any impact on usage limits.

In order to ensure that sites which experience short term spikes in usage are not adversely affected by the Maps API usage limits, only sites that exceed the limits for more than 90 consecutive days are subject to the limits.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In order to ensure that sites which experience short term spikes in usage are not adversely affected by the Maps API usage limits, only sites that exceed the limits for more than 90 consecutive days are subject to the limits.
We exceeded it, at that point they wanted us to fork over $10K a YEAR.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, for The Google Business version, not the free one. I didn't figure SS needed a million a day.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Once you tip beyond it, they say you need it.

I'd like to revisit the member map at a later date, we're moving to a new server and software package. That's the other reason I've not put any further effort into this. (It's not compatible without a upgrade to the add on)

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy had said before that Google wanted cash to make maps work.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ss-mai...suggestions/82428-member-map-not-working.html

His response is on the second page.
SS here is a victim of it's own success. That is the problem of not being on-line every day and the time-difference between Europe and the US. This week I went through the entire thread of our new admin from last year (head of for the achievements). When that thread ran, it was in a time I had to set other priorities and was not online for several days or even few weeks more than an occasional glimpse. Even when on-line every day, I notice that threads disappear out of sight very quick.

To give an example, a thread might come up when I just log off for an early night, have some responses and than get pushed down the line before I am awake again. So certainly in weekends I might actually miss that thread coming by at all. A week off-line and almost too much posts have passed by to catch up with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks