• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Members in/around Charlotte NC

ATPTac

Hey all, was curious if there are any active members in or around Charlotte. We just recently purchased our first Deuce and I'm in the process of learning the in's and out's of the truck and wouldn't mind a more knowledgeable person showing me some things on the truck. Plus I have a few odd issues (well they seem like issues, could be normal for all I know) that I would like someone who has been around these to see what they think about it. I guess to summarize I'm just looking for some MV junkies to pal around with, tinker with trucks, and drink beer.
:beer:

I have quite a bit of work ahead of me with this truck, which I feel pretty confident I can handle but it also wouldn't hurt to have some people who have experience doing work on these around to give pointers and the like.

Thanks!

Jeremy

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeremy,

Yes, there are people in the Charlotte area (and Spartanburg, Raleigh, Lancaster, Monroe, Columbia, Rock Hill, Albemarle, Morgantown, Gastonia, and other places not too far away). On the top of the page there is a pull-down called the "Member Map" and there is an older thread > NC and Ga Member database and Map? that also has a lot of specific information which may not have been transferred yet. HTH.

ATPTac

I'm just North of you in Lexington, NC. About 45 minutes North

Hit me up and I can try to help!!

Walter
Cool deal, I'll have to let you know next time we're gonna be out working on the truck and the weather is going to be halfway decent. I was wanting to get the brakes redone before it got too cold out, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen at this point. Then again around here it will probably be back up in the mid 70's in a couple weeks.

I am up in Winston-Salem. If you are doing brake work, I would suggest upgrading to dual circuit A3 style brakes. I bought everything for about $500 and upgraded a deuce I used to have, not too bad of a job and gives the extra safety of separate front/rear brakes.

ATPTac

CBR, I saw a thread a while back (might have been yours, honestly don't remember) where somebody put an A3 brake system on an A2 and if I remember correctly there was a decent amount of modification required to get it to work. Where did you source parts from? I'd prefer not to change over to a system where parts are going to be hard to get for it if I have issues down the road.

wb1895

Properly maintained, the A2 brake system is a good system. BUT it must be properly maintained. Reference the TM for proper maintenance, and a GOOD PMCS before, during, and after will prevent most problems

CBR, I saw a thread a while back (might have been yours, honestly don't remember) where somebody put an A3 brake system on an A2 and if I remember correctly there was a decent amount of modification required to get it to work. Where did you source parts from? I'd prefer not to change over to a system where parts are going to be hard to get for it if I have issues down the road.
I bought everything from a guy on eBay, he was parting out some A3's. The A3 master cylinder is easy to rebuild, the only wearable items are two o-rings. An air pack off an A2 will work on an A3 as well, probably even a 5-ton air pack would be fine. My write-up on the swap probably wasn't the best, but it outlines a few of the things that have to be done. None of it was too complicated, if you plan to do brake work I would suggest doing the swap. If you replace all your wheel cylinders and rebuild or replace your master cylinder the stock system is probably fine. If you are running on 40 year old parts that is taking a big chance, if at any time a wheel cylinder blows on any wheel, you would lose ALL brakes.

ATPTac

Well, my plan is to replace all 6 wheel cylinders and do all the axle seals, repack the bearings, etc..., replace the master cylinder, replace all the rubber hoses with steel braided, and replace and/or rebuild the air pack. I thought about going with the dual circuit system initially, but I think for simplicities sake I'm going to just stick with doing a full brake system overhaul.

And a big thanks to wb1895 for coming out this weekend and helping out with the Deuce... and keeping me from thinking I was going to have to spend $800+ on a transmission. I still need to hunt down a spring for the parking brake... And fix the stupid horn.

wb1895

Well, my plan is to replace all 6 wheel cylinders and do all the axle seals, repack the bearings, etc..., replace the master cylinder, replace all the rubber hoses with steel braided, and replace and/or rebuild the air pack. I thought about going with the dual circuit system initially, but I think for simplicities sake I'm going to just stick with doing a full brake system overhaul.

And a big thanks to wb1895 for coming out this weekend and helping out with the Deuce... and keeping me from thinking I was going to have to spend $800+ on a transmission. I still need to hunt down a spring for the parking brake... And fix the stupid horn.

No problem at all I was happy to help. Thats how things usually work with me, when I fix one thing, something else breaks. Call me anytime you need more help.

Another Ahab

I bought everything from a guy on eBay, he was parting out some A3's. The A3 master cylinder is easy to rebuild, the only wearable items are two o-rings. An air pack off an A2 will work on an A3 as well, probably even a 5-ton air pack would be fine. My write-up on the swap probably wasn't the best, but it outlines a few of the things that have to be done. None of it was too complicated, if you plan to do brake work I would suggest doing the swap. If you replace all your wheel cylinders and rebuild or replace your master cylinder the stock system is probably fine. If you are running on 40 year old parts that is taking a big chance, if at any time a wheel cylinder blows on any wheel, you would lose ALL brakes.
Do you remember the title of your thread? Just asking to save a little time on the search (you can bog down, and even get distracted, in the process, know what I mean?). Can you recall it?

ATPTac

Hey I am in salisbury nc 28147 about 40 mintues north of you
Cool, good to know there are some more people in my vicinity. We should all get together and have a mini rally or something along those lines sometime soon.

No problem at all I was happy to help. Thats how things usually work with me, when I fix one thing, something else breaks. Call me anytime you need more help.
Story of my life with anything automotive... One of the reasons I decided a while back that our primary "road trip car" would be a car that is always in warranty (it sucks, but I've accepted the fact that as long as I keep this policy we'll always have a car payment).

In other bad news, we have to find a new home for the Deuce. Where we have it parked at my father-in-law's work, apparently some jack*** complained about it. We can still park it there, but can't work on it there, and also the in law has to "accompany" me if we want to even go in the lot to take it out and drive it. :evil:aua So needless to say, I don't want to have to call him up to come out there if I just want to go start it up or whatever. Going to start looking into storage lots or something around the house and see what I can come up with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks