• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

membership rolls

lenz1079

i was wondering if it would improve our ability to communicate and for cells of members by giving us the ability to search for members by zip code as is done on the kids my space forum. you put in a zip code and pick a distance from milage number and the search will tel you every member within that distance of the zip code. Also if a member has been inactive for more than 500 days they should be removed from sight to help reduce the # of unused member IDs to search thru. im trying to figure out what members and trucks are close to me so i can network.

Mike_Pop

Mike,

Not everyone is on the member map. Maybe you need to promote it when someone new registers, set up a default notification page or a "rules & FAQ" page when someone signs up?

It's very difficult to find someone in the members list. I know it would be a lot of work to put it all in a database but wouldn't that help in finding someone?

mangus580

Mike, it would be somewhat the same as the map.... people would have to enter it.

I suppose I could look into a search feature based on location.... but I am sure some people wouldnt like that... Just look at the people who try to skirt the location requirement.

Mike_Pop

Just look at the people who try to skirt the location requirement.
I think the people who put themselves on the map are more willing to help out anyway. I like the map but there are a lot of people who frequent the boards who aren't on the map. It would be nice to know their locations since I do so much driving across the US.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mike P. feel free to post up and let us know when you are headed out. I would be more than happy to PM you a phone # so you could stop and BS or call for help if the event came up. AHEMMM, or we could get the assistance member feature working. HEHE

Mike_Pop

About two years ago, someone in the Unimog community put together a database of Mog owners, shops, and dealers. Putting your name on the list was strictly voluntary. Whenever I go anywhere, I always have that list with me. It's very detailed with phone numbers and even with people whose homes are, "safe havens" where you can spend the night. The list was very helpful when I was broken down in Battle Mtn, NV. I was able to order parts and have them shipped to me. I also had some great technical advice from people who posted my situation on the message boards and then others called me.

A list like this would be great to have for SS. I know it would take a lot of time and effort to set up but I would be willing to pay for an updated list every year. Just another way that SS can bring in some money to pay for the cost of running the site.

mangus580

Mike... a list like that was talked about on the Mil-Veh a couple years ago... I offered to set it up here on SS... and it caused a HUGE stink. I dropped it. I do still have plans for it, i just havent really worked it out much yet.

Notice my marker is green on the map?

Mike_Pop

Mike,

Yes, I did notice the different colored markers. Have you thought about putting a list to a vote? Remember, SS is not the mil-veh list.

Mike_Pop

I'm on it first thing I did was register on the map.
Joe,

The only reason you put yourself on the map is because Vincentown is in the middle of the sticks and you are lonely!

cbvet

Maybe it's just me or my computer skills, but the member map is worthless to me.
The "balloons" are all blank.
And at one point I know I agreed to be an assistance member, but the mark where my entry should be is red.
There must be a better way.
Eric
CBVET

mangus580

Mike, I just havent had time to finish working out that project.

Eric, I have never set up the 'assistance member' setup. thats why your marker is still red. Also, the balloons shouldnt be blank.... I know mine isnt.

dc3coyote

I think a regional thing would be great for the road trips, maybe set up a list alonig that line, let people just say what interstate or highway they are near. and there cell number.

CanadaDeuce

Zip codes ...........

Hi everyone

Think this is a wonderfull idea, BUT keep in mind maybe we should make it CDN friendly
this means using CDN postal codes also, might seem silly but I dont know about you guys but from where I live Im more likely to cross into the USA to attend a meet iN WA or ID than drive across Caanda to a meet, Canada is as wide as USA and maybe wider so how many from MT woud go to NY ??, not many, would you come north to AB ??, maybe if you knew where or who was a member......... OH YA dont forget your passport ! LOL

just my CDN 4.5 cents worth :wink:

CanadaDeuce

Angus1

Re: RE: membership rolls

cbvet said:
Mike,
I've tried several locations, but my balloons are still blank.
Do you suppose it's because of my vasectomy?
Eric
Are you clicking on them? they are blank for me also, untill I click on them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm on the member map and will be an assistance when it is available and I will PM anyone my phone number and exact location when asked. What I'm a little uncomfortable with is posting my name, phone number, and address for all the world to see. There's alot of people lurking around the web that are up to no good or just plain crazy.

mangus580

Re: RE: membership rolls

[quote="cbvet"[\]Do you suppose it's because of my vasectomy?
Eric[/quote]

Well thats whats wrong!!!

rofl

no clue! Do you have this problem on ANY google map?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks