• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

meo002 starter trouble

Hello all and how is every body? Okay,I need a little guidance with my 002 genset.
I came home from work today and wanted to change the oil in my genset before it got dark.I went outside to start the unit up and let it warm up and couldn't get the starter to engage.I am getting the selenoid to click and engage but the starter will not turn.
I then checked the starter wire connections,saw a little rust.I removed the starter cleaned the wire connections and put the starter back in.Still just the selenoid clicking.I jumped the starter and it turned the engine over.Made oil pressure too.Still would not start.
Is there a issue because the tank is only a 1/4 full?(I was going to fill it after I did the oil change)Is there a pressure switch that has to see fuel pressure from the electric pumps before the starter engages?One thing I did seem to notice was the electric pumps didn't slow down the clicking noise during priming.
I ran the unit about two weeks ago when I thought it would be good just to fire it up and run it.Started like normal.Now I see little smoke when I jumped the stater.
Any help would be appreciated,Thanks and a safe weekend to all.
metalworker393

coyote62ny

have you taken the starter apart mabe you have a broken wire or a bad bushing could just need a good cleaning and lube i use lubra plate on the bushings at the end of the armature shaft my mep-003 was doing funny things with the starter i cleaned it good with electrical cleaner lubed the shaft and bendix works fine now

derf

Low fuel switch? These gen sets have a switch in the tank to keep them from running out of fuel.
Edit: the 016B types have a low fuel shutdown but I'm not sure if the 002s and 003s have them.

Last edited:
Mep002 starting trouble

I don't think it's the starter.I jumped it out last night and it cranked the engine over.It still wouldn'y start though.I was wondering if the float switch for the auxillary fuel supply was tied into the starting circut so as not to allow the machine to be started unless the tank had a certain level.
The last time I ran the machine I had also pulled the emergency shutdown button to make sure everything was functioning.

Carl_in_NH

No, there is no connection from the AUX pump float switch to the starter. Could be the switch that senses engine speed and disables the starter giving you grief. The TM will point you in the correct direction.

Since the electric pumps are not slowing down, one can assume they are not building pressure in the system; check your fuel filters.

jeepin

If you are jumping the starter without holding the start switch to "crank" on the panel you are not bypassing the low oil press shutdown circuit. If I recall the manual correctly the crank position bypassed low oil shutdown pressure circuit which is why you are supposed to hold the crank position for a few seconds after the motor fires. If you want to continue to troubleshoot I think the oil pressure sender needs to be "open" for the set to run so you could just take both leads off the sender, tape them over and continue with your troubleshooting.

Carl_in_NH

The low oil pressure switch will not prevent the system from cranking the starter; think about it, there's no oil pressure when you go to start the engine, and if the oil pressure switch prevented you from turning it over you'd never be able to start it.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to continue to troubleshoot I think the oil pressure sender needs to be "open" for the set to run so you could just take both leads off the sender, tape them over and continue with your troubleshooting.
I agree with Carl, I doubt that the oil pressure switch is causing his problems. And for your own knowledge, the oil pressure switch "closes" with oil pressure. If you wanted to bypass it you would need to short the leads of the switch together or remove them and connect them together to bypass.

I need to know what you are actually hearing when you try to start the engine? If you are absolutely positive that the solenoid is engaging and the starter is not turning, then the starter lockout switch that Carl mentioned is probably not the issue either. That switch will keep the solenoid from engaging also. If your solenoid is engaging, then your troubles are limited to maybe a bad or loose ground (something that is good enough to allow the solenoid to pull in, but won't allow the starter current to flow), or the contacts in the solenoid are bad. The solenoid is nothing more than a large relay to handle the starter current, the contacts could be bad enough to not allow the current to flow to the starter.

derf

Check the little "pull to shut down" circuit breaker? You have to push it back in to reset it.

Make sure the click you hear is from the starter solenoid. If it is and the starter doesn't spin, then you have a bad connection or wiring issue or bad battery. Could the click you are hearing be from another relay or solenoid?

derf

Schematic shows:

CB2 (pull to shutdown, push to reset breaker), it looks like "CR2", but the symbol is a breaker not a diode.
K1 Start Relay
K3 Crank Relay
K5 Gov Sol (this should be the lockout that keeps the starter from being engaged when the engine is running)

in the circuit.

Mep 002 starting problem

Hello all,think I found the problem.I was checking diffrent items that could have been the problem.I removed the cover from the starter lockout switch opened up the points with my inger to make sure they weren't stuck together and moved.I turned it to start and the starter engaged.
I believe now all I have to do is get the gap set properly.Boy,that was painful.Thanks for all of your responses.metalworker393

jeepin

For future searchers of this thread - I wasn't saying the oil pressure switch was in the starting circuit (its not). what I said was if you manually turn the starter by jumping it the set still wont start because to start S1 (the starter switch) has to be in the crank position to bypass the safetys that shut the set down if it is in "prime run" and looses oil pressure.

the original question metalworker asked was
>>I don't think it's the starter.I jumped it out last night and it cranked the engine over.It still wouldn't start though

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks