• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 002 & 003 engine rebuild kits available?

Hello all and how is everybody doing.I recently picked up 2 002 gensets and 2 003 gensets.I have only 1 of the four that will turn over but havn't started it yet.(003)The other 003 is siezed up,and will not turn at all.
Of the two 002 units,one turns by hand a little rough.I put some marvel oil in the cylinders to let it soak in for a few days.The other one would only turn a fraction but it moved.I drained the engine,no oil but i did get two gallons of water out of it.(oh boy).I did put some marvel oil in that one too.Then proceeded to slowly turn the engine back and forth.I removed the glow plugs and water shot out of the hole as I turned it a little more.
So what I am looking to find out is there replacement engine parts available from aftermarket companies?What I would be looking for are oversize pistons,new engine bearings gaskets etc.
I contacted a company called Melton engine services in Burlington NJ (not too far from me) and got a little sticker shock at the prices they want for a complete rebuilt engine.
Another problem I have is the 003 units don't have an engine ID tag on them as to identify the exact model.The 002 units have the Onan tags on them.Providing they are the correct tags to those engines.
Any help would be appreciated,metalworker393

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Club, where every purchase is a "crap shoot". I'd be asking myself about the condition of the generator - like whad did they do - sink-em? Is the generator compromised too? How is the fuel tank?

The short answer is that there are lots of these sets around that have absolutely nothing wrong with them. Consider yourself well stocked with spare parts, and try to find one that is a runner, and purchas it.

Again, welcome to the club. All that glitters, is not gold. There is a reason for the low prices. Don't giive up.

Isaac-1

They are not exactlyDJB's/ DJC's instead the MEP-002a is a bored out version of the DJB, I think 3.5 inch bore instead of the 3.25 of the DJB, Onan would call it a DJE on the civilian market, The MEP-003a would be a bored out DJC, which would be called an DJF if they had ever offered it on the civilian market (they did offer an RDJF which used a radiator cooled version of the same block). This applies to engine internals anyway, there were assorted mil changes also.

Ike

MEP 002 & MEP 003 engine rebuild kit

Isaac have a question.If the piston design is the same between the civillian and military just diffrent outside diamiter, could the military block be sleeved to use a civillian piston?Just a quick thought.

Isaac-1

I am not an expert on these, as I do not own one (yet), this is not a military or civilian version thing, but instead is a matter of the military version being compared to the wrong civilian model. As civilian models were built with both 3.25 and 3.5 inch pistons, the 3.5 inch 2 cylinder models were the DJE family and the 4 cylinders would be the xDJF (RDJF and MDJF on the civilian market as they never built a plain DJF which would be air cooled like the MEP-003). There are lots of somewhat major differences in the military and civilian engines, of course the 12v vs 24v electrical system, but also such things as the starter mounting and I am fairly sure the military used a steel oil pan and the civilian used aluminum which seems a bit backwards to me.

Ike

p.s. be prepared for sticker shock on Onan parts prices

Last edited:

edgephoto

There is a rebuilt engine for sale in the classifieds. Pretty reasonable. It is for an MEP-002.

You may be better off buying another generator and parting yours out. If it has water in the cylinders I would wonder how it got there and would be concerned about the gen head being any good.

I did see a guy in CT on craigslist selling a 400Hz model a couple weeks ago.

screejunk

We would definitely reduce the price for an exchange depending on what is being exchanged. Shipping is an ugly reality depending on where a person is located. If a complete unit was returned for exchange (identical to the unit purchased), I would provide a $200 credit. But shipping would wipe that out and this would only make sense if you were in the area and could drop it off (either near Halifax, VT or Burlington, NJ where we have locations). Alternatively if you're too far away, I would provide $250 credit if you removed all of the small parts of the engine, put them in a box and shipped them to me (Injector Pump, Injector lines, Injectors, Governor, Starter, Starter Solenoid, Oil Switch, Exhaust, Shroud, essentially ALL the small parts and Tin that can be removed except the block)...You could then do what you'd like with the engine block (scrap it?). GMG can get good shipping rates to ship you a new engine anywhere in the US.

Triple Jim

Thanks for that. It's interesting that you would give a bigger credit for the parts than the whole unit, but I understand that it takes labor to remove parts.

screejunk

The extra $50 is payback for the effort of parting out the unit :-D Sometimes less is more! Send a private message if you have any detailed questions. The labor savings of installing a brand new engine is significant vs rebuilding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks