• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002 injector pump issue

Anthill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a MEP-002 with 12 hours on it. I removed the tank and flushed it, changed the fuel filters and cleaned the strainer and added Diesel 911 for good measure. I got it running but it was not running well so i cracked the injector lines and it was getting fuel from the injector pump on the #1 cylinder, but not #2. So I took the injector pump off and tried cleaning it and putting it back on. This had no effect, still no fuel from the pump for #2 cylinder, but had fuel for #1. I then took off the injector pump and replaced it with on from a unit that was running well, but still no fuel coming out for cylinder#2. I checked the line and it was clear there was no fuel coming out of the pump where #2 line is.

Any suggestions ????

Thanks,

Ant

Anthill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first few times at the injector, but the next few times at the pump. It starts hard but runs runs on #1 and with #2's line off there is no fuel coming from the pump.

Thanks,

Ant

jamawieb

That's weird. I would take the delivery valve spring out of the pump, then turn the fuel pumps on and turn the motor over with a socket. As you turn the motor over you should have fuel shoot out of the #1 and #2 port as you rotate it. Be careful because fuel will shoot out about 3 feet. This way you will see it working.

Anthill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The genset had a new Melton engine put in 10/2006, do you think it's possible that the cam is bad ? That's the only thing I can think of. I'd hate to tear the whole engine down and have it be something else. Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Ant

jamawieb

The genset had a new Melton engine put in 10/2006, do you think it's possible that the cam is bad ? That's the only thing I can think of. I'd hate to tear the whole engine down and have it be something else. Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Ant
I really doubt the cam is bad but you might want to look at the teeth and cam lobe on the cam shaft to make sure everything looks ok. I have a feeling it's going to be the button in the injector pump. If the button is way off, it could cause the pump not to function properly. I would try the flow test to check for the proper button size, it's in tm-34 on page 146 or 7-40. I do this anytime I have problems where I think the injector pump is the problem (which is 90% of the time). A lot of time I find the wrong button on the generators that were recently rebuilt or have low hours.

rustystud

What is bugging me is that he took a good running engines injection pump and installed it. The pump should be OK, no button problems or stuck valves or anything like that. It was from a good running engine. So that means there is something in this other engine that is messed up. Maybe the cam is bad. The lobe is worn down and not pushing on the pump. That is why at first I thought about timing. If it was say 90 degrees out the one would pump but the other would not. Not until it went 90 degrees more. But then it would put out for #1 and #2. So I'm back to a bad cam.

Anthill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the issue - the cam shaft sheared between the injector lobe and the injector timing gear. I can't believe it sheared with 6 hours on it, or that it was able to run like that.

Is this an interference engine ? If not I might try and slide a new cam in. Is it possible to put a new cam in without a complete tear down ? It has the access on #2 cyl side - would just have to pull fan and timing cover ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Ant

I will post a pic as soon as I can - have a meeting now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks