• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 002 ip problem

diesel dave

have a stickey ip throttle linkage.that is the ip pump linkage won't move up when the start solenoid is engaged. thought i saw this covered in the past,but i can't find it.i assume it's varnished from sitting-although it's a 06 rebuild. can the ip be partialy disaembled and cleaned?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine was the same way. it turns out the problem was the linkage was binding on the solenoid. It took some careful bending and filing the hold the linkage goes through to make it fit better. I think this is a common issue with these sets. When I first got mine from GL and brought it home I did all the PM. Changed the oil, all the filters, blew the lines out etc. It was a new rebuild with only 2 hours, but I wanted to be sure things looked good. Anyway, when I went to start mine, it did not start. I knew it had to be something simple and it was. That linkage was binding. So while I cranked it over, I move the governor linkage and it fired right up. Be sure to check the Hz gauge to make sure the engine speed is correct. After you fire it up. Also check oil pressure to be sure it is within range.

steelypip

Yes, the IP is fidgety, but pretty simple as they go. If you can rebuild an automotive carburetor then you can definitely do this. There's detailed information linked in the wiki and the manuals section on the IP. If it's just stuck and binding you may get away without needing parts if you're gentle.

epitts

002a IP rebuild

A friend and I just rebuilt the IP on my 2a this week. I got a o-ring kit from Ambac, only could use two of the o-rings. Mine was binding inside the pump, I started by soaking in Berryman parts cleaner. It helped in getting the pump apart. Mine tuned out to have the dog bone looking part p/n GU8546 broken, you can get from Ambac. The hardest part of the rebuild was getting the spring retainer clips back in. We took a piece of 4130 tubing and cut the side out, then we use a bar clamp the compress the spring for the clips. I have not installed the pump yet on gen set. The Ambac has loads of info on the M50 pump.
http://www.ambac.net/ hope this helps.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,

Any luck with your injection pump? When you tried to move the injection pump linkage, did you unhook it from the governor arm? Maybe the governor arm is sticky (I suggest a couple drops of oil on the shaft where it goes in the housing can’t hurt). Another thing could be the shutdown solenoid above the injection pump could be stuck or not getting power. I attached a picture I saved from the site here and it almost shows how close the linkage is to the shutdown solenoid.

Attachments

diesel dave

it was the pump itself. tried soaking it. seemed free but after reinstall,wouldn't run. finally replaced with another ip. don't know if it's worth trying to fix the original.
thanks to all for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks