• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002 Is it possible to permanently slave from a Deuce??

JOECOOL48

I have a MEP-002 that I really do not want to invest in two new batteries because of limited use. What I would like to do is run a heavy duty wire from battery box to rear of the Deuce, install a connection box, construct a set of jumpers to connect the truck to the generator. 1st question is it possible and safe? (2) if so what gauge of wire would I need. (3) what type of connection box and receptacles do I need. (4) Do I need to run both Positive and Negative wires from battery box or can I just ground the negative to the truck? (5) Should I disconnect once generator is running, and could I disconnect if I need to move the truck? (6)Is there anything else I need to be aware of. The generator does not have a slave connection.
IMAG1164.jpg

Jimc

i know this doesnt answer your question and im not trying to be a smart a$$ but by the time you bought the wire, connection boxes and everything you need to do the project not to mention your time involved it would cost far more than a set of batteries for your generator. not sure what you would be saving there.

Triple Jim

I have to agree, Jim. I got two of the cheapest group 24 batteries I could get at Walmart, and they're working great. I've heard about significant problems happening if the battery is disconnected from a running MEP-002A or -003A as well, although I haven't looked into that myself.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You blow the charginging circuit, as I recall, if the batteries are disconnected. Besides, you would be hard pressed to make up a set of jumpers, better the the slave set-up, both your truck and the Genny came with. All you need is the slave cable. BUT, AS ABOVE, a set of dedicated batteries are the way to go. Then, somebody, other then yourself, might have a chance to set up power, in an emergency, if your not around.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a MEP-002 that I really do not want to invest in two new batteries because of limited use. What I would like to do is run a heavy duty wire from battery box to rear of the Deuce, install a connection box, construct a set of jumpers to connect the truck to the generator. 1st question is it possible and safe? (2) if so what gauge of wire would I need. (3) what type of connection box and receptacles do I need. (4) Do I need to run both Positive and Negative wires from battery box or can I just ground the negative to the truck? (5) Should I disconnect once generator is running, and could I disconnect if I need to move the truck? (6)Is there anything else I need to be aware of. The generator does not have a slave connection.
View attachment 430083

1, Yes it is possible, but why? As stated it would be cheaper to buy two small batteries.
2, Since the generator starter wires are around a #4 or 2 awg wire I would think that would suffice
3, Any kind you prefer, since this is going to be nothing even remotely close to anything the military would have done it choice is up to you.
4, Yes, you need to run both
5, Should you, NO. Could you, yes if you don't mind having things to fix on the generator after you do.
6, If your generator charging system is not working and you try to disconnect the set while it is running, it will promptly stop running. If your charging system is working when you try to disconnect the set, your charging system will more than likely promptly stop working.

All in all, this is not a great nor a practical idea. It's only an 002a, get a couple of small lawn/garden type batteries that will fit into the battery tray and just use it as it was intended.

JOECOOL48

Thanks for all the information. I did not think that lawn and garden batteries would be enough to turn it over. The batteries I thought would be strong enough were around 90 to $100 each. thanks again'

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't say for sure that they will be strong enough, but since you live in GA, the odds of having a sub zero start are pretty slim. They might be just fine

dangier

I am using 2 lawn tractor batteries (275 cca) from Walmart in 3 of my 002a units. They turn the set over nicely down to +40 degrees. They fit the base well and I shortened the tie down bolts a little and cut thick black rubber spacers to locate battery in center of base. At $28.00 each one can afford to replace after a couple of years and hand down to lawn service (also use then on my ups backup). Also using #2 copper cables from Walmart. I buy one 54" cable and some copper ends and do all dc battery cabling on unit. I am waiting to see what happens when I try to start them at +10 degrees....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks