• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002 new owner

trooper632

I have had good luck with all wal-mart batterys, but just started buying Energizer batteries from sam's about 20 bucks cheaper with 3 year full replacement warranty

pahunter

Noise levels

Both are noisy right next to them. But outside the garage with the noise directed away from the house it's not bad.

Via i phone app

5 feet away: 002 = 94 decibel ave
016E= 93 decibel ave.

Outside garage with door partway down

002 = 85 decibel ave.
016E = 80 decibel ave.

The 016E has a harsher sound but seems to be easier to dampen.

cucv1833

Both are noisy right next to them. But outside the garage with the noise directed away from the house it's not bad.

Via i phone app

016E= 93 decibel ave.

002 = 85 decibel ave.
016E = 80 decibel ave.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Yeah the 002 is a nice smooth sound and the 016D sounds like a jackhammer

derf

Via i phone app

016E= 93 decibel ave.

002 = 85 decibel ave.
016E = 80 decibel ave.

What scale/weighting are you using?

cucv1833

Well heres my little setup. I just ran it on my 30x40ft shop only I have not tried it on my house yet.. I had a 12amp heat gun running and all lights,recepticles,fridge running. load 20%. When my 240v water well kicked on it surged to 50% for a few seconds. I only ran it for 30min. The AC voltage is really stable and the Freq. is ok. around 60-65 hrtz depending on load.

At this point I do think the DC voltage regulator is bad. The staror checks out ok and I got 24v at the fuse and thats it. My batterys were at 24.9 before the test and now there at 24.5 after running 30 min. I did buy a 24v batt. charger though to get me buy in the meantime.

I cant wait to run it on my house for a good 4-5 hours to really check it out and get a full tank of fuel ran through it.

Attachments

cucv1833

Nice set up cucv, any issues servicing the genset when it's in the trailer?
Thanks.
No problems. Although a proper M116 trailer would be nice. You can see in the pic where the gen walked over to one side while running. Once I figure out how i will set up my aux fuel system. I may bolt it down center of the trailer again. Or not I don't plan on pulling it around just along side my house 30yrd away.

I just ordered a HARDY DIESEL 55 gal. Fuel drum kit so that's Probaly going to be my Aux fuel source. Any one every use this kit??

Isaac-1

Yes, I have one in my shed on the 55 gallon drum that feeds my MEP-701a, and one at work on a 450 gallon tank. Handy kit, but is really designed for a return fuel system, for the drum here at the house I have a small vacuum release valve from Lowes screwed into the second small hole (3/8 inch ?) leaving the 3/4 inch fitting on the drum available to refill it from 6 gallon cans (I use a small electric transfer pump for that).

Ike

p.s. Use black iron or stainless pipe for the dip tube, not galvanized, diesel will react with the zinc in galvanized pipe, also don't use copper for similar reasons (different reaction, google if you want to know the details.)

cucv1833

Thanks Ike,
I looked up the different metel problems with diesel. Thanks for the heads up. I think the kit comes with PVC or black iron pickup tube can't tell from the pic.
If you have time can I see a pic of your set up.

I was thinking about doing away with the drum return line being the aux pump has one going to the onboard tank. Or removing the aux pump return and hooking up the 55 gal return to the pump itself. Not sure.

Triple Jim

When using an auxiliary fuel tank, the auxiliary fuel pump is powered full-time, and fuel flow is controlled by the solenoid valve at its output. Fuel is pumped by the auxiliary pump into the onboard tank when the tank's float switch senses that the fuel level is a few inches from the top of the tank, and the solenoid valve is opened. When the float switch senses that the onboard tank is full, the solenoid valve is closed. The line from the auxiliary pump to the tank isn't a return line, it's the only output line from that pump.

The only thing the auxiliary fuel system does is pump fuel from an external tank to the onboard tank as needed to keep the onboard tank full.

It's a neat design, because if the auxiliary tank runs dry, you don't get air in the system as long as the onboard tank has fuel. Also, you can swap auxiliary tanks without bothering to switch back to the internal tank during the swap, since if the pump sucks air, it doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks