• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002 Output Voltage Problems

Scuffy

Howdy all! I'm actually posting this on behalf of my dad- who is the proud ( or not so proud! lol) owner of an MEP-002 that seems to have developed some problems. Not knowing how to operate this unit I'll do my best to describe the problem. And for the record I tried to search for this topic here but using the search bar yields a message that says the terms are too common... I'm not sure what other terms to use to narrow it down.

Using the starting switch to start and get the unit up to 1800rpm is easy enough but once it reaches this point and the start switch is released the output voltage drops to zero although the generator is physically running. If he turns the spring loaded start switch again- the output voltage returns. My dad wants to test/use the terminal block on the back side of the generator, the block with 3 contacts on it- connected to the 3 output wires of the regulator/rectifier but he does not know which of the 3 wires is which. I have looked through the pdf manuals that were supplied with this unit but I can't seem to find the correct diagram. They all seem to look the same- there is no banding or color difference to identify them. Now- my disclaimer: He is going off what others have recommended doing, assuming that the regulator/rectifier is the problem. This may not be the problem. Is this a common problem, has anyone else run into this problem before?

Guyfang

Staff member
Chainbreaker has given you the the right road to travel. Read up a bit, get smart a bit, and lots of the stuff that seems to be Greek will start to make sence. Also:

Is this gen set new to your Father? Or has he had it a while and it stopped working right?

Do you all have and know how to use a multimeter?

Scuffy

Howdy all! Sorry about the late response to this. Between work, schedules and the lovely weather up here in NE Ohio it's been a while since I felt froggy enough to hang out in the shed in an attempt to diagnose the problem. After a brief talk with my dad he mentioned that he does not believe it was any of the problems mentioned in the related posts that were supplied above. (Now whether he actually checked each out or he just came to this conclusion on his own I'm not entirely sure.) I did stop by today and take a very brief video of what is happening as I figured that it would be easier to see than to describe....

It seems to have output as long as the knob is turned to the start position but after being released the power drains from the circuit - as evident by the utility light eventually going out. That circuit does not seem to have power at any other point, only in the start position.

Guyfang

Staff member
Chainbreaker has given you the the right road to travel. Read up a bit, get smart a bit, and lots of the stuff that seems to be Greek will start to make sense. Also:

Is this gen set new to your Father? Or has he had it a while and it stopped working right?

Do you all have and know how to use a multimeter?

Triple Jim

When you hold the switch in the start position, DC is fed from the 24v battery system to the exciter field to get things going. When you release the switch, CVT1's X terminals should put out 3 phase AC to diode board A4 in the cabinet under the output lugs. The DC from that board then connects to the exciter field. For some reason there is no DC, or there is but it's not getting to the exciter. A bad CVT1, Bad A4 board, or bad wiring or connections could be at fault.

The regulator sends a control current though CVT1, terminals C1 and C2, to regulate the 3 phase AC that becomes the exciter current. If the regulator decides to overregulate it can kill the exciter current. Removing the wire from terminal 17 of the regulator and taping up the end, and then running the generator will rule this out. If the regulator is causing the problem, the generator output will now be too high.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks