• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002 supposed tomhold Hz with varying load??

njjeeper

My 002 seems to work really well. However, when i run it with no load, i can lock in at 60hz and it stays rock solid. When I add a load, the rpm drops a bit and the Hz drops as well. So, i crank the throttle and bring it up to 60. Then i unplug the load and the hz goes way up as the rpm increases. Is this supposed to happen? If i hook it to my house with the fridge and such starting and stopping, do i have to adjust the throttle all the time?

Isaac-1

Typical performance for a mechanical governor should be about 2 hz drop from no load to full load, so general advice is to set at 61.5 to 62 Hz no load to allow droop to 60 hz under full load.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 002 seems to work really well. However, when i run it with no load, i can lock in at 60hz and it stays rock solid. When I add a load, the rpm drops a bit and the Hz drops as well. So, i crank the throttle and bring it up to 60. Then i unplug the load and the hz goes way up as the rpm increases. Is this supposed to happen? If i hook it to my house with the fridge and such starting and stopping, do i have to adjust the throttle all the time?
Maybe I'm mistaken, but you seem to be a bit confused as to how these sets operate. The Frequency (Hz) is controlled by the engine RPM. The whole theory of a 4 pole generator head is that is gives you 60 Hz at 1800 RPM's. NOW, you load ANY engine down and the RPM's drop. On a generator, the RPM's drop, so does the frequency. As Ike said, 2 to 3 Hz drop is just fine. Set the engine at about 62 Hz and leave it alone.

storeman

Speddmon,
Without intention to hijack and in support of OP, I have a similar problem with one 002a.

I have 2 now working perfectly at my home, but one at my store is frustrating as the devil. Any adjustment for load stability leads to racing when load is removed and if load (5kw heater strip) is added to by one 1500 watt hair drier; rpm go south to the peg. Remove the hair drier and back to 60 cycles.

Turn ac breaker off and engine races. Have attempted to adjust all aspects of governor linkage per the TMs but am pulling out what little hair I have left. Each change affects another part of the governor. I finally stumbled on the right combo for the ones at home, but this one is kicking my butt.

I suspect OP has a similar problem. This week I'll replace the governor spring with a new one but, if governor still is erratic, I'm lost.

Maybe you can help Op and others as well.

Jerry

Last edited:

storeman

Bob,
When I open the breaker, removing the steady 5kw load, the engine pegs at highest possible rpms. when stabilized running 5kw load and a bit more (1500 watts) is added, engine bogs and rpms peg at the frequency downside 55 cycles on the meter.
Jerry

Keith_J

This drop in engine speed (and output frequency) under load is droop, a function of the governor. Because of the limitations of mechanical governors, you either have droop or hunting. Hunting is variation of engine RPM after load is removed. This causes frequency to oscillate for several seconds to minutes after load is removed.

Get a good load bank and adjust the spring position with the star wheel until you reach an adequate balance.

DieselBob

Also if you haven't checked it yet I would make sure that the governor shaft #4 is free moving with Spring #17 removed. All the adjustments in the world won't help if this shaft doesn't move freely.

Attachments

storeman

Keith,
I have spent hours doing what you suggest. I can't get the droop adjusted. That is why I'm going to replace the spring and start all over again.

When you combine length of throttle rod (which I've toyed with and the other cable variables and the droop adjustment, I'm obviously way out of whack.
Jerry

storeman

Keith,
On second thought, I may pull the IP and clean the side throttle linkage. Seems free but who knows? That may also be an option to OP.
Jerry

njjeeper

Thanks guys! I do understand how these sets work with respect to frequency vs RPM. My issue is that the set doesnt correctly compensate for varying load, much like storeman described. I guess I will check the shaft and see if it moves freely. Not having a load bank makes testing a bit difficult....

Keith,
On second thought, I may pull the IP and clean the side throttle linkage. Seems free but who knows? That may also be an option to OP.
Jerry

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried adjusting the droop on my MEP-002A last week just to see if I could fine tune it better. I couldn’t seem to be able to adjust the droop screw (it lowers the spring on the governor rod) down enough to make the engine hunt. My linkage seems like it free and lubricated. When I bought the generator a year ago, I PM'ed the snot out of it and it seems free and well lubed. According to the TM, it should be at 61.5 hz no load, but under load it should be come to 60 hz. It was very hard trying to get the linkage not to stick on the shut off solenoid. One of the ways I got it not to stick was by bending the governor arm and by attaching the linkage at the very end of the slot on the governor arm. According to the TM, the linkage should be set to about 5.5 inches from the center of the studs on the link. I did not see in the TM where it made reference to where to set the linkage on the governor arm seeing that it is slotted. It would be nice to get it tuned to where I can set it at 61.5 hz and it only drops 1.5 hz from no load to full load. But I never got a hunting out of the generator… not like a quick acceleration, then a quick deceleration, quick acceleration, quick deceleration…. That would be hunting, correct? I am just wondering if my linkage is not at the correct length or at the correct position on the slotted governor arm.

jbk

tm5-6115-585-34 change 6 7-5. shows the linkage adjustment. somthing like 1/4 free play. also clockwise rotation of the spring decreases droop counter clockwise rotation then will increase droop.
i just got done with a 003 of mine that wouldnt stop surging under load. i had to bend the gov. arm up. also somone had misadjusted the linkage to the gov.arm. anyway alot of trial and error. have you a good load bank on hand so you can apply a heavy load and a good digital meter. try to get somthing like 59 hertz when a large load is applied. most of the sets i have got have the droop set quite wide 58 hertz.

Last edited:

storeman

Tom and Jim,
If I had hair enough to pull, it would all be gone now. I chimed in way earlier about governor frustrations and things haven't gotten any better on one of mine.
Jerryaua

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how badly bent is bad? i had to bend my arm out a little to get mine to not rub on the shut off solenoid. that rubbing problem is so frusterating. my generator was bought with only 2 hours on it, practically brand new. but when i bought it, the governor did not seem to work quite right.

jbk

if its bent a little down or up its hard to notice. of course side to side is easier. touching the sol. at rest is ok. take a look opening the hood a seconed while running and under load.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bent my governor rod to the side a little bit. When I first tried to start it, it was definately touching and was hung up on the solenoid. Maybe i just need to play around with the droop more. After that is set, is set, I can adjust the throttle cable like the TM says, pushed all the way in is at something like 56hz and all the way out is at like 64 HZ. Those numbers are not exact per the TM... but its close to that. As you guys know, the max high speed adjustment is at the front of the generator next to the air intake.

Ray70

Hi Jerry, I know this is a little old, but was wondering if you ever fixed your Hz droop problem? This is the same issue I was mentioning to you in the other thread this morning. I put that digital meter on 1 of my machines yesterday and load tested it and it only droops about .5Hz at 80% load [thumbzup] then the 2nd unit will droop about 2-3Hz , which I would say is acceptable. The 3rd machine however...:sad: at first it would go from 61.5 at no load to pegging the meter low and continuing to bog at around 50% load. I moved the adjustment on the slotted arm to the far end of the slot and it got better. Now it will droop about 4-5 Hz at 50% load and at least it will continue to run and not keep bogging further and further under constant load. Next step is going to be turning down on the star wheel to see if I get any improvement. I was just curious if: 1) you fixed your machine , 2) what did you find and 3) Has your hair since grown back or is this generator continuing to cause you trouble?
Thanks
Ray

Rapracing

When I was experimenting with load on my 002 the other day I had it running at 28-30% and 61hz. My wife started the dryer and it spiked to 105% and dropped to 58hz. Does that sound normal? I called in the house and had her shut the dryer off and it went right back to where I had it set.

I would think there are few things that would cause this type of spike. I know when my deep well pump started it would spike for an instant to 50-55% and if the hz meter moved it was fast enough I couldn't see it happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks