• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002 supposed tomhold Hz with varying load??

Isaac-1

I would say that is a little more droop than optimal, you can probably tune it a bit better, but it is probably close enough for reasonable operation.

Ike

Ray70

I would think dropping to 58Hz at 100%+ load would still be acceptable. You might be able to adjust it a little better, but I don't think you need to worry about it too much. An electric dryer is a very heavy load for an 002. I think you'll see your breaker start tripping if you go much higher for an extended period of time.
I'm getting a bigger droop than that at less than 50% load, so I think I need to use the procedure in the TM to adjust the sensitivity star wheel. The other machine I have that shows almost no droop at all at 80% must be very well adjusted because that is better than the TM calls for, yet there is not even a hint of it hunting.
Maybe you could try adjusting yours a bit and see if you can get it a little better, but don't loose any sleep over it!

Jimc

the droop adjustment is the star adjuster on the governor arm, where the spring hooks to. if you turn the star adjuster so the spring is lowered on the arm you will get less droop under load. its kinda the opposite of what you would think. if you read the manual its a bit vague in how its worded and it makes you believe that raising the spring will give less droop but it doesnt. dont lower the spring too much though. on my 003 my spring is about 3/4 to the the bottom and at 110% it only droops .5-1hz. another issue that will cause excessive droop and bogging or slow reaction with a sudden load is the injectors. unless the injectors are tuned and the engine has 100% of its power available then with the governor your just compensating and hiding the real problem.

storeman

I was just curious if: 1) you fixed your machine , 2) what did you find and 3) Has your hair since grown back or is this generator continuing to cause you trouble?
Thanks
Ray
I would have sworn I answered this question a few hours ago, perhaps on another thread. I have no more hair to lose, but I did sort it out by stopping doing as you are doing....even worse, I tend to fool with 3-4 adjustments at once. Finally went to the TM and did the governor adjustment by the book. All is well. 2 cycles droop is fine.
Jerry

Munchies

Ray70. If your drooping that far you likely have other issues. Quick check.
If you load it down and its at max droop go push the throttle arm up. If it is maxed out already the governor is fine, and you have fuel issues. Likely injector spray or pressure issues.

CDR

Ray70. If your drooping that far you likely have other issues. Quick check.
If you load it down and its at max droop go push the throttle arm up. If it is maxed out already the governor is fine, and you have fuel issues. Likely injector spray or pressure issues.
That's a really good way to check

Ray70

Thanks for the tips guys. I worked on it last night and I'm on the right path. I can easily correct the droop by moving the linkage manually, so the motor is ok. My spring was almost at the top of its travel, just below the star wheel. I lowered it to 1/2 way and the droop is better, but then I could only get up to 57Hz and the throtle was maxed out. ( moving the spring also affects the throtle a little ) I was able to adjust the cable a little and back out the max speed screw a little, but it was rusty and then the head split off the screwaua. I started noticing a little hunting so I backed off (raised) the spring a little, which also gave me a little more throttle and it is running reasonably well now but not quite ideal. Someone replaced the throttle cable with one that is too long ( possibly an 003A cable) the entire cable assy is about 6" longer than it should be and seems improperly adjusted, so next step is to fix the broken high speed screw, correct the throtle cable adjustment and then try lowering the spring a little bit more to get it closer to 1-2Hz droop. Right now I'm getting about 2-3hz at 50% load, but at 61.5hz my linkage is touching the high speed screw right now, so that's got to get fixed first.

Munchies

Recommend to put a fresh throttle cable on it. Follow the guide in the mep-003a teardown refurb thread by JimC for some good readily available parts. Follow the TM step by step for adjusting the throttle cable and then the governor/droop, and you will have it just right.

Must follow steps and in order..

storeman

Ray,

You may be falling into the trap I did a couple of years ago. I tended to tinker with a lot of adjustments and get things more screwed up as I went along.

Length of the throttle cable 003 or 002 has no effect on adjustment. The 003 cable is an authorized replacement for the 002 cable, but not visa-verse because of length.

If you are adjusting the screw on the IP throttle arm which goes into the side of the IP, I think you are making a mistake. It is not part of the system for adjusting the governor by a user. That is why there is a wire secured to it and sealed.

If you are talking about the maximum speed adjustment accessed at the front of the fan shroud, you are on track.

Go back to the beginning instructions in the TM on adjusting governor.....lowest speed, highest speed, etc and if you start with the star wheel spring in the mid-range, you will get there. Just make sure linkage arm is free from friction from the plate the shut off solenoid is mounted on.

Jerry :tank:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks