• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002 Tripping DC Control Circuit Breaker

mrcarman

I ran my MEP-002 for about 15 minutes this afternoon and then it stopped. Prior to that all gauges and systems seemed to be operating fine. I noticed the DC Control Circuit Breaker was tripped. Now when I reset the DC Control Circuit Breaker and I move the control knob from Off to anything other than Preheat, the DC Control Circuit Breaker trips. I've check the TM and this forum for solutions. I found one post related to that breaker being thrown when moving to the Start position but nothing about it being tripped when moving to anything other than Off or Preheat. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Triple Jim

I'd start by looking for a short in the glow plug circuit, since they're active in positions other than off or prime, but then you said it first tripped while running, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe clarify what positions trip the breaker, because there are two prime and run positions, the start position, and the preheat position.

Last edited:

mrcarman

Thanks, Triple Jim. I actually bungled the description of the problem. (I have corrected it.) It should have read that the breaker trips on anything other than Off or Preheat (I said Off and Prime, but that was wrong; it trips on anything other than Off or Preheat). Maybe the fuel pump circuit?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen the master control switches fail and cause this, also seen a few capacitors on the fuel pumps cause the same issue.

I'd disconnect the 3 fuel pump wires and see if it trips. if not, plug them in one at a time and see which one(or more) is causing it. You can cut them out and directly feed the pumps without it. They help keep he output "clean". Not needed for our usage.

You did have batteries connected all the time it was running, right?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly

mrcarman

I am trying to follow Doghead's instructions and have a rookie question: Are both of the connectors in the pictures connectors that can be disconnected? If so, how do they disconnection? Twist, pull? The fuel pump wiring runs through both these "connectors" so it seems like either of these would allow me to disconnect the fuel pumps and hopefully isolate the problem as Doghead suggests. Thanks.

IMG_0109.jpg IMG_0110.jpg

Last edited:

Jimc

In the first pic there are 3 rubber connectors there. They just pull apart. Disconnect those 3 and you will have taken your pumps offline.

mrcarman

I've seen the master control switches fail and cause this, also seen a few capacitors on the fuel pumps cause the same issue.

I'd disconnect the 3 fuel pump wires and see if it trips. if not, plug them in one at a time and see which one(or more) is causing it. You can cut them out and directly feed the pumps without it. They help keep he output "clean". Not needed for our usage.

Doghead, that was the problem. Thank you very much for the assistance. I did as you suggested and the first regular pump was the one causing the problem. What is the best way to bypass the capacitor on that pump? I'm assuming just cut the wire in and out of the capacitor and splice them together? Any recommendations on best type of spice to use on that wire to maintain the integrity/waterproofing of the wiring in that area?

Jimc

Yeah get rid of thise capacitors. If you look at my refurb thread i did a post with pics 2 days ago where i removed mine. To make it easy though you can cut the wire and use a butt/crimp connector and use some heat shrink around the connection.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, just cut it out and splice. If you look at Lowe's or Home depot, they should have waterproof wire nuts or butt-splice connectors.

A normal butt-splice and some shrink tube should be sufficient.

Glad you found the issue!

Triple Jim

If you're ever going to use the generator to power emergency communication equipment, especially HF radios, you'll see why the capacitors were originally installed. As a ham, I cringe just a little when I hear about taking them out. I realize that most of these generators won't be asked to perform around communication equipment, but in a real emergency you never know what will be needed, and diesel engines are inherently nice and quiet to radios, compared to spark ignition engines.

mrcarman

If you're ever going to use the generator to power emergency communication equipment, especially HF radios, you'll see why the capacitors were originally installed. As a ham, I cringe just a little when I hear about taking them out. I realize that most of these generators won't be asked to perform around communication equipment, but in a real emergency you never know what will be needed, and diesel engines are inherently nice and quiet to radios, compared to spark ignition engines.
Good to know, Triple Jim. I guess if it became relevant, since I have bypassed only one of the three capacitors, if I needed "quiet" operation, I could just disconnect the fuel pump without the capacitor and again have "quiet" operation. Does that sound right?

Gnoz

Why do I have to flash my generator every time I start it to make it start producing power?

Keith_J

Flashing the field is usually not required, auto field flash was added due to the 1800 RPM and smallish rotor on the 002 and 003A. There should be enough residual magnetism in the field to bootstrap.

my Lima MAC on the 1031 SECM generated power the first time I ran it, only 1.6 hours on the Hobbs meter since 1989. No electronics, just magnetic amplification. Flashing procedure for that one is frightening.

Gnoz

But if I do not flash the field pf my MEP 002 for a few second, it will not produce AC output. Do you have an idea what the problem might be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks