• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A AC (exciter?) question

PJDiesel

I have an interesting situation, trying to determine if it's common and if there is a fix.

Resent Letterkenny tier 2 reset, 2.8 hours on the ticker. When I start it up it won't show freq/volts unless I toggle the starter switch back and forth into the start mode once or twice. Produces power and holds pretty steady under a light load after that.

Kinda stumped. I printed out the instructions on "flashing", but not sure if I might just have an issue in the switch itself.

Runs like a TOP and puts out power as it should once you play around with the switch.

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited:

epitts

My 002A had 10 hours since reset and the Hz meter is intermittent at best and when it does work is off. I use a Kill-O-watt meter and leave it pluged in all the time. I set the Hz and volts to what I want when warm and leave the throttle set.

PJDiesel

Hmm, we aren't on the same page. I have a Killawatt, it's showing a perfect and steady 60HZ/120V.

Problem is, if I don't advance the starter switch beyond the resting point a few times (after it's running), I get.... nothing.

Isaac-1

Sounds like a field flash issue, may just be low residual magnetism from lack of use. My MEP-002 will fail to build voltage on normal start up about 1 in 5 times, then just requires one simple turn back to the start position to flash. If it does not improve after a couple of hours of running under load, it may indicate a problem with your voltage regulator needing more than the typical amount of residual to build voltage.

Ike

PJDiesel

No problem. This is actually a back up unit for me. I'm torn between keeping it to make sure we get through this cluster F of a storm, or letting it go.

I sold 5 in the last 4 days including an 003a early this morning.

PJDiesel

Thats about what I am reading at this point. Any connections I should check, I went over the switch, nothing out of the ordinary noted there.

Should I be manually "flashing", with a battery, would that tell me if I had a VR issue?

Sounds like a field flash issue, may just be low residual magnetism from lack of use. My MEP-002 will fail to build voltage on normal start up about 1 in 5 times, then just requires one simple turn back to the start position to flash. If it does not improve after a couple of hours of running under load, it may indicate a problem with your voltage regulator needing more than the typical amount of residual to build voltage.

Ike

Isaac-1

I certainly would not sell my last generator (or my next to last generator, or perhaps my 3rd to last generator) with a major storm on the way. The simplest thing to try is run under load for an hour or so (in this case I have read reactive load (motors) are better than resistive loads (heaters)) and see if it improves. After that it would probably be simplest to measure the residual output voltage with the AVR disconnected and compare to a known good MEP-002a to see if it is low output, or low sensitivity and go from there, one other thing to check is the diodes on the rectifier bridge, but only if you have a good diode tester that will measure forward voltage, etc.

Ike

Last edited:

PJDiesel

I certainly would not sell my last generator (or my next to last generator, or perhaps my 3rd to last generator) with a major storm on the way.

Ike

Supply and demand. I've had as many as seven 002a's and a few 003's at a time listed here in Maryland since late August. Lots of tire kickers and dreamers, lots of total idiots who don't realize they aren't "portable". Could have had one for $1.500 to $1,900 depending on condition and with/without batteries.

Now? Dunno, people are willing to spend $750 for a $299.00 Tractor Supply generator, would it be unethical for mine to be worth $2,400 to someone who should've planned ahead?

Last edited:

derf

I think the MEPs are supposed to flash the field every time you start them. Check the relays. If you're getting it to flash by repeatedly wiggling the start switch then you probably have a wacky relay or loose connection.

PJDiesel

I think the MEPs are supposed to flash the field every time you start them. Check the relays. If you're getting it to flash by repeatedly wiggling the start switch then you probably have a wacky relay or loose connection.

Any ideas which ones? I can hear a clicking, like a relay when I rock the switch forward and it starts to show voltage.

Munchies

Clicking is normal.
Voting bad switch, then bad diodes. (some multimeters do a forward voltage drop test), then bad VR.

I didn't raise my prices during Isaac. Went up slightly on my last lot simply due to increased recovery costs.

Keith_J

I have an interesting situation, trying to determine if it's common and if there is a fix.

Resent Letterkenny tier 2 reset, 2.8 hours on the ticker. When I start it up it won't show freq/volts unless I toggle the starter switch back and forth into the start mode once or twice. Produces power and holds pretty steady under a light load after that.

Kinda stumped. I printed out the instructions on "flashing", but not sure if I might just have an issue in the switch itself.

Runs like a TOP and puts out power as it should once you play around with the switch.

Thanks,

Phil
Terminal 27 on Switch 1 feeds both the starter relay and the field flashing, since it starts, you should have voltage to the flashing circuit.

Check wire P57C16 from TB4-10 to A1-8, then the diode CR2 from that terminal to A1-7. Follow it down to the exciter coil.

Sounds like a dirty connection on a terminal board between the engine circuits and the sustainer diode bridge fed off the control voltage transformer.

PJDiesel

I actually sold this unit yesterday, with full disclosure of the possible issue(s). I don't suspect it to be anything major, like Keith said, probably a bad connection.

Luckily, most of the people that have been buying from me aren't clueless as to the internet and troubleshooting. I just ran out of time to look any further into it myself.

Don't know about you guys, but this kind of things bug the schit out of me, I lay in bed thinking about MEP issues sometimes......

Keith_J

As long as the starter cut-out is working properly, using the start position on S1 to reflash is no big deal.

Once the field is established, current through CVT1 sustains the field. Which means the issue is probably not in the regulator.

CVT1 has two basic functions, one is for field current, the other is measuring the output current. So it increases field voltage with increased output.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supply and demand. I've had as many as seven 002a's and a few 003's at a time listed here in Maryland since late August. Lots of tire kickers and dreamers, lots of total idiots who don't realize they aren't "portable". Could have had one for $1.500 to $1,900 depending on condition and with/without batteries.

Now? Dunno, people are willing to spend $750 for a $299.00 Tractor Supply generator, would it be unethical for mine to be worth $2,400 to someone who should've planned ahead?
Don't forget about KARMA; Most distributors and retail sale outlets don't have to rely on a user site like this to figure out how to maintain and make a profit on what there selling, especially during an emergency. Thanks for running the prices up at GL auctions as well. WOW, maybe it is just me, but you got a set of *****!!!:oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks