• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A Amp Questions

xjoutsider

I am looking for a power Source for my Lincoln 180 Mig welder looking at the product information. It looks like it only Draw 20 amp at 230V. Will I be ok to run it off an MEP-002a it is rated to 24 amps from what have be anble to Find.

I really new genertors in general.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It'll run your welder just fine. The MEP-002a is a fine generator. It will put out 24 amps at 240 volts all day long...and then some.

AceHigh

A ground rod is important. You would wire your load to the box on the side, but it does have 2 convenience outlets on the front. They seem to be good for 1000 watts or so on a good day.

Here is a pic of the MEP 003A panel, it is a 10KW whereas the 002A is 5. I think the wiring box is similar but others will be along to provide better info

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

It will run your MIG all day long. However the convenience receptacles as mentioned above, are not 230 VAC. You'll have to hard wire to the terminals, and the main breaker should protect the conductors to the load. Also as stated above, don't forget the ground rod...it's the only safe way to do it.

Biggles

So instead of starting a new thread I did the search function and stumbled on this old thread, is the 5KW MEP003A big enough to run my Lincoln Electric V350 pro? I can't find the actual amp draw for my welder but it reccommebded a 50amp breaker at 230v single phase. Does anyone know about the capabilities of that generator or if my welder actually needs that big of a breaker? I'm hoping to set up a mobile genny welder (similar to what pipeliners use)

Harleyd315

First do you have an 002 5kw or an 003 10 kw? I looked at the recommended breakers for your machine and it appears at 208V/3phase you would need #6 wire and an 80 amp breaker. I have a miller synchrowave 350 similiar to your lincoln and it runs 208V 1phase with a 125 amp breaker. I don't think I really pull that kind of ampereage except maybe when I weld 1/2 inch aluminum. If you have an 003 10 kw and wire it 3phase you would probably weld most medium materials but when you turn the machine up I think you will go beyond the capabilities of the 003. Just my 2 cents.

Biggles

I don't have a generator yet I have a line on a couple different ones in different sizes I'm just trying to figure out what size generator would be best for my purposes. It's seeming like the 002 is too small.

steelandcanvas

So instead of starting a new thread I did the search function and stumbled on this old thread, is the 5KW MEP003A big enough to run my Lincoln Electric V350 pro?
You may have a typo in your post, but I thought I might set you straight...the Mep-003A is rated at 10KW, the MEP-002A is rated at 5KW.

Biggles

Yes That was a typo I realize that, I was looking for an MEP003A but I found a 002A I am now beginning to think that the 003a will be borderline too small. I know where there is a 004a maybe I should go that route?

Isaac-1

The main issue with the MEP-004a for this application is it is a water cooled diesel generator with a somewhat oversized engine, as such it is prone to wet stacking when ran at less than about 75% load. How much of a problem this would be would depend on how often you would be operating at max output capacity on the welder.

Ike

Biggles

Max out put capacity of the welder? Rarely if ever. And I'm not sure I will ever need 15KW, I mean how often will I be trying to weld during a blackout with most of my electronics in the house running?

Isaac-1

All else being equal (same rpms, etc.) the smaller generator will consume less fuel than the larger one at a given load. Having said that the fuel economy difference between a fully loaded (5KW output) MEP-002a and a half loaded (5KW output) MEP-003a is not going to be all that much. A bigger difference would likely be seen between with each at 1 or 2 KW's

Biggles

All else being equal (same rpms, etc.) the smaller generator will consume less fuel than the larger one at a given load. Having said that the fuel economy difference between a fully loaded (5KW output) MEP-002a and a half loaded (5KW output) MEP-003a is not going to be all that much. A bigger difference would likely be seen between with each at 1 or 2 KW's
That makes sense, so it seems for my purposes I should be looking for an MEP-003A, this will have enough power to run my welder in most situations but not be so big that I have to worry about wet stacking, and at idle or on a low draw (which it would be for a good portion of the working day it will eat less diesel than the 004A.

I guess it's back to shopping for a generator and getting another set of TM's

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks