• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A and -003A WIKI Started

PeterD

The rated output on the Wiki is the same for both, and should be different since the 003 variant does produce more power. (The MEP-003 numbers seem incorrect?)

But... Fantastic job even with a few minor problems. (and being a writer I appreciate how difficult it is to get everything right the first time!)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice and informative. I was impressed to see the link to tpub with the parts interchange listing. I had never seen that one before (While it is wrong in a place or two, and NOT your fault), It's still good information to have.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a problem with the WIKI FAQ section I noticed...

[QUOTE="MEP 002a and 003a WIKI]
  • Can I get 480VAC three phase out of this?
Short Answer: NO
Long Answer: The generator head is a 12 lead. Therefore, theoritically you could re-wire it for 480. You would also need to re-wire the voltage regulator. I don't think you will find much help here for that. After the conversion, it would no longer be a MEP.[/QUOTE]

The generator head on the MEP-002a and 003a is indeed a 12 lead head, but the coils are wound to be 120 volt coils each....that's how you get the 120/208 volts 3 phase configuration and the 120 volts only....two coils from each phase are hooked up in parallel. with re-configuring the generator head the most you could get out of that head would be 240 volts 3 phase Delta. As it is from the factory, the most you can get is the 120/208 3 phase wye or 120/240 volts single phase. There is no way you could get a higher voltage from it without some MAJOR re-engineering.

Isaac-1

Looks good, here are a couple of tweak suggestions:

Mention the output voltages are switch selectable

Label the 240V 3 wire output a 120/240V 3 wire to not be confused with 240V delta 3 phase 3 wire

Similarly mark 208V as 120/208V 3 phase

Include frequency tolerance % since you have voltage tolerance %

Mention the onboard convenience outlet ratings, and the output lug connection (most people are accustomed to civilian generators which tend to have connection outlets available for their full output in this general KW size range.

Ike

LuckyDog

Loads of thanks

Thanks for the inputs.

Peter, I think the outputs are correct. Please look again.

Ike, I added the switch selectable and convenience outlet info. Thanks. I don't know the outlet rating though. What is the CB rated for? 15 or 20 amps?
What is the frequency stability %?

I just copied the "general" info from the manual introductions.

Speddmon, I agree changing to 480 three phase is a MAJOR re-engineering. That would probably make the 120 convience outlet 277V also. I tried to infer that it CAN be done but DON"T ASK US HOW. Of course, I believe almost anything can be done with enough time and money.

Also, Speddmon, you're classified add for the spin-on oil filter kit has expired. I wanted to add that to the WIKI. What's your plans for the kits?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the inputs.

Peter, I think the outputs are correct. Please look again.
I edited the ratings after Peter pointed it out...they are correct now.

Ike, I added the switch selectable and convenience outlet info. Thanks. I don't know the outlet rating though. What is the CB rated for? 15 or 20 amps?
What is the frequency stability %?
I believe the CB is rated for 15 amps, but I'm not sure of the frequency stability %, I would have to do some research to find it.

I just copied the "general" info from the manual introductions.

Speddmon, I agree changing to 480 three phase is a MAJOR re-engineering. That would probably make the 120 convience outlet 277V also. I tried to infer that it CAN be done but DON"T ASK US HOW. Of course, I believe almost anything can be done with enough time and money.

Also, Speddmon, you're classified add for the spin-on oil filter kit has expired. I wanted to add that to the WIKI. What's your plans for the kits?
I should have been more clear in my post. It's not that it can be done with some major re-engineering. In it's factory configuration it CAN NOT be done. It would take a re-wind of the generator head for it to be possible. The coils of the head are only 120 volt coils, not 240 which would be necessary to achieve the 480 volt output. You probably could do it with the existing head, but you would need to double the excitation voltage and change the regulation voltage to double the voltage output, and I don't think that is even possible with the factory equipment.

As to the oil filter adapter kits, the ad wasn't closed, but the link in my signature line was wrong somehow. I corrected it, so it points to the right ad now. And I still have them for sale.

LuckyDog

snip... It would take a re-wind of the generator head for it to be possible. The coils of the head are only 120 volt coils, not 240 which would be necessary to achieve the 480 volt output. You probably could do it with the existing head, but you would need to double the excitation voltage and change the regulation voltage to double the voltage output, and I don't think that is even possible with the factory equipment. ...snip
First off, I would love to take this to another thread if you want. It is very interesting and informative about generation of AC voltage.
Second, I have NO intentions of trying this with my MEP.

For 480 three phase, the phase to neutral voltage is 277. The coils could be reconfigured from parrallel (as the are in the TM's) to series as shown here.
Look at the Series High Wye. Each coil would only have to be bumped up to 138.5 Volts. It is still only a 5k or 10k machine, so, the amperage would keep going down as voltage went up. I don't know if 6 or 12 Amps at 480 three phase is even useful.

The Voltage regulator would still need some reworking. The selector switch would need to be rewired or bypassed. And probably some other problems I don't even know about yet.

Looking forward to your reply.

LuckyDog

Very nice and informative. I was impressed to see the link to tpub with the parts interchange listing. I had never seen that one before (While it is wrong in a place or two, and NOT your fault), It's still good information to have.
Speddmon, can you put the corrections into the wiki? Could save me/us some time when I/we go hunting for parts.

And thank you for correcting the outputs from PeterD's comments. (That's what happens sometimes when I cut and paste)

PeterD

I have to admit, that creating this Wiki has motivated me to consider creating one for the MEP-004 sets. I may not be a total expert on them, but I sure can get the ball rolling. :lol:

Last edited:

LuckyDog

Go for it!!!

I am not an expert either. Most of what I put in the wiki either came from this site, or things I found. I did it to try and put all the wonderful information here in one spot. (OK, I am lazy. I got tired of re-searching.

The wiki actually represents EVERYTHING I know about the generators.

I am about to learn how to fix an IP. I have great fuel flow into the IP. I even have a nice stream coming out the delivery valve on the IP: but only drips going back to the tank and nothing coming out the injector lines.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speddmon, can you put the corrections into the wiki? Could save me/us some time when I/we go hunting for parts.

And thank you for correcting the outputs from PeterD's comments. (That's what happens sometimes when I cut and paste)

I noticed the WIKI when you first made it, but before you announced it...at that time I couldn't edit the WIKI, but after you made the announcment then I could edit the content. I believe anybody can edit or add to it, but I'm not sure.

Also, you are absolutely correct, and just happen to have caught me in a blond moment (I'm not blond by the way). I wasn't even thinking about a 480/277 wye connection. I was only thinking or a 240/480 delta connection for a re-wire of the generator. If you wanted to do a 480/277 wye connection, you could make a high voltage wye connection, and using the factory equipment, you could easliy get 416/240 wye. If you cranked the voltage adjustment knob all the way up you would be darned close to 480/277 without any mods to the regulation at all.

Been a while since I've been here.

This is an outstanding effort. Thanks for your work in getting it started, it can certainly be massaged IF NEEDED by all the experts we have as members.

t~

3dAngus

Sweeeettttt......

Recommendations as follow:
Remove all content about conversion to higher voltages. No one, even an engineer, should attempt.
Just buy what you need and avoid the suggestion of lethal home made remedies with high voltages.

Also, a quick start kit with turn on procedures, ie. circuit breakers, swithches, fuel priming, glow plug useage, etc would be helpful for the person buying a new one. I just bought a MEP-003 this week and it is amazing the amount of surfing you have to do just to turn one on.

Still not sure what the DC circuit breaker to the batteries does, or which direction in goes on, either pushed in is ON, or pushed in is OFF, and then what ON and OFF really mean. I tried starting mine and there was absolutely no power to it, so I'm still trying to find the right data to switch on the batteries and connect power to the gen in the first place. All interesting stuff. And yes, I have been reading multiple Tech manuals. I found, for clarity, you have to read the schematics due to the ambiquous language used in the battery hookup and circuit breaker between it and the gen. Simple language always works best.

Once experienced, or you do it once, all the language makes perfect sense. NOT BEFORE!!!

Great work. Thank you!

PeterD

Still not sure what the DC circuit breaker to the batteries does, or which direction in goes on, either pushed in is ON, or pushed in is OFF, and then what ON and OFF really mean. ...

Generally the breakers, when pulled out, are off (open circuit) and pushed in are on (closed). And generally the circuit breaker disconnects everything from the battery and can (on the MEP-004) be used as an emergency shutoff, since it removes the DC power from the circuit that energizes the fuel solenoid in the injection pump.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is correct for the 002 and 003 as well Peter.

If the DC breaker is pushed in and you still don't get any power to anything, try turning on your panel lights. If they come on, and you have nothing else, then you have a faulty master switch. If they don't come on, then you have either a faulty breaker, batteries hooked up wrong, or an open (broken or disconnected) wire somewhere.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a suggestion for the WIKI. Anytime anybody edits the WIKI, use the "Discussion" tab at the top and make a post about the changes that were just made to the WIKI. Those posts stay with the WIKI and allow people like me to see what has been changed, added or removed without having to read the whole long article and try to figure out what has changed.

I have gotten several automatic e-mail notifications that the WIKI has been edited, but I have no idea what has changed or been added. Simply because it's such a long WIKI and hard to remember everything.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweeeettttt......

Also, a quick start kit with turn on procedures, ie. circuit breakers, swithches, fuel priming, glow plug useage, etc would be helpful for the person buying a new one. I just bought a MEP-003 this week and it is amazing the amount of surfing you have to do just to turn one on.

I'm not going to say that is not a good idea because it is, BUT. I don't think the WIKI was started to take the place of the TM, and almost all of those things are covered in chapter 2 of the -12 TM.

It's always good to read through at least the -12 TM (operators level) to familiarize yourself with any new piece of military equipment, especially a generator, or you could get yourself or someone else injured by not knowing what you are doing with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks