• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002a and mep 003a test runs

Magneto

Another way of load testing can be done very cheaply. It is not for the faint of heart but if you are flipping load switches anyway you are not too far from the hot source....
I have used this method for testing gensets to full load at 40 kw

Fill a PLASTIC garbage can with tap water, about 20 gallons for a 10 kw genset.
Don't make a mess!
Put 2 rods, can be 1/2 pipe, on opposite sides, vertical, full length of the container, (in the water ) clamp in place

Connect #8 THHN 90 C wire from one phase of the 220 genset output to one rod and the second phase to the other rod for a 10kw or smaller genset.
Now you have 220 potential between the rods but will have little current flow even if you used tap water.

Connect an amp probe on one of the wires, use a known accurate one to check against the genset amp meter / load meter

Start the genset and warm up
Note the amp reading

Start adding common table salt between the rods and note the amp readings
Load will increase with salinity
2~ 2 quarts of salt will do about 175 amps in 30 gallons of water so 1 quart or less of table salt should be plenty for 10 kw
Open breaker when done testing (load test on breaker)

Dilute and do over if needed....

Notes;
Water will get hot and steam
Don't touch the water :drool:
Adding salt slowly will increase the load gently

Isaac-1

Usually when someone mentions wet stacking they are refereing to the whole series of conditions that occur when a diesel engine is ran at low load, the oily buildup in the exhuast is just part of the end result that starts with build up on the wiper rings in the cylinders which leads to polishing of the cylinder walls, and then blowby problems, These problems seem to be most common on turbo charged water cooled diesel engines, although it is possible even with an air cooled normally aspirated unit like the MEP-002 / MEP-003. If caugt early it can mostly be counteracted by running the engine at near full load (80%+) for a few hours. Advanced cases may require engine rebuild to cure. Wet Stacking is commonly found in standby generators that are test ran weekly without load year after year.

Ike

lonegunman

If you have a MEP-002 or 003 before you try to boild a garbage can of salt water, I'd go for some safer. If you built a small power box with a four outlet box and a couple of pieces of romex to power each outlet seperately you can plug four things into your trusy MEP.

I used two 1500 watt space heaters and got 50% power use on my 002 with no problem and safely. Wetstacking is really common on MEP-004 and bigger since they are ran monthly to charge batts and not loaded often. Air-cooled gens always seemed to run hot enough to avoid that problem. Besides the engine damage, they unit won't load normally when it is wet stacked and will want to stall from all the back pressure and exhaust problems when you need it loaded. If they don't puke then you get a couple of hours of burnt carbonized and oily crap flying out of the exhaust and some smelly running until it is sorted out.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom,
Can you recommend something besides heaters that I can annually test my set with? I currently hook it up to the house, which takes time (I have to move it out of the shed). I'd prefer to do it in situ. Thanks!
Whats up Steve. Could try a large animal. Wonder how electro fryed gator would taste.

Last edited:

dirtyfingernails

James,
I see you've cornered the market on big military vehicles. I need to make time to get out and see your toys. I am envious!! The only green stuff I have are trailers and gensets. I hope things are going well.
DFN

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks