• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002A and mep 802A comparison

Hoolio

I'm going to purchase another genny.. The OLD Homelite is getting cantankerous to start out in the cold.. 10 horse 5K with wind-up start.. My buddy has a Mep 2A and loves it.. Another has a Mep 3 and it's for sale.. But I'm looking to a 5 K Mep 2A or the newer Mep 802A for fuel savings.. Does anyone care to address the differences other than air cooled or liquid cooled ?? Thanks .. Great Forum .. lots of good info.. And yes, I did the start relay improvement on my M-1031 pick-up.. Hoolio [ Roy ] ..

Ratch

Check out the thread in this forum titled something like "Considering swapping my 002 for an 802". I'd link it, but can't from my phone.
It's filled with opinions, and sprinkled with some facts. :)

Obviously, being water cooled adds a maintenance item, but that also helps reduce running noise.
The 802 is very quiet compared to the 002, but I think it's sometimes overstated. I still have to raise my voice to be heard around it.

I have both an 002 and an 802, and I find myself continuing to favor the 002.
Check out that thread, lots of helpful info.

Milhouse

802A is much better for parts availability, the fuel pump on the 002a is no longer made, and expensive to get parts for, most times it has to go to a machine shop for rebuild, its prone to failure, and most ones that have been sitting have broken parts in that pump that can't be replaced easily.

Isaac-1

I have to strongly disagree with the most of the time, and prone to failure comment, also rebuilt injection pumps for the MEP-002a / MEP-003a sell in the $300 ballpark which is fairly good for injection pump pricing.

Milhouse

In the last 3 lots of MEP-002 and 003a units we purchased, which had been sitting for 2-3 years after being rebuilt by letter kenny, out of 30 generators, about 50% of them had a broken piece in the pump, its a manufacturer defect, if it sits the fuel gelling causes a small retaining spring on the plunger shaft to stick to the housing, and it strips out or breaks when attempting starting, the military guys periodically run the sets, and they get broken during this run. We pull off all the fuel pumps before attempting start and clean them to free up this clip. You can't buy just the clip, and yes rebuilt pumps are currently about $350-$400, when you can find them, during shortages I have seen them (and paid for them) as high as $600-$750. I'm simply stating, parts for that generator are no longer made new, so you have to rely on surplus.

cuad4u

I have an 002A and an 003A. Unless your commercial power goes out a lot, probably the last thing you should worry about is fuel consumption differences between the 002A and the 003A or between an 002A and an 802. If you have a small to medium size house and do some serious load management, the 002A will definitely fill the bill. I have a 4200 sq ft house. During the January 2014 ice storm (rare in SC) I ran my 003A 98 consecutive hours. I also closed off the second story of the house (separate heat system) to reduce electrical demand. With just a little load management the 003A ran the oven, stove top, 3HP well pump, two refrigerators, 4500 watt electric water heater, lights, TV's, washing machine, electric clothes dryer, dish washer, and even the vacuum cleaner. Other than hearing the 003A running, we did not know the commercial power was out. Again the last thing I was concerned about was fuel consumption. "Your mileage may vary".

Last edited:

jamawieb

In the last 3 lots of MEP-002 and 003a units we purchased, which had been sitting for 2-3 years after being rebuilt by letter kenny, out of 30 generators, about 50% of them had a broken piece in the pump, its a manufacturer defect, if it sits the fuel gelling causes a small retaining spring on the plunger shaft to stick to the housing, and it strips out or breaks when attempting starting, the military guys periodically run the sets, and they get broken during this run. We pull off all the fuel pumps before attempting start and clean them to free up this clip. You can't buy just the clip, and yes rebuilt pumps are currently about $350-$400, when you can find them, during shortages I have seen them (and paid for them) as high as $600-$750. I'm simply stating, parts for that generator are no longer made new, so you have to rely on surplus.
I believe your referring to the plunger guide breaking when fuel is not cleaned out of the pump. The plunger guides are readily available from AMBAC and most other parts you may need are also available. I just bought 12 plunger guides and spacer for the delivery valve last month for the units I rebuild.

lxawolf

802A is much better for parts availability, the fuel pump on the 002a is no longer made, and expensive to get parts for, most times it has to go to a machine shop for rebuild, its prone to failure, and most ones that have been sitting have broken parts in that pump that can't be replaced easily.
I am not sure if your referring to the 24V electric fuel pumps or the Injector pump. My MEP-003a had 3 non functioning electric fuel pumps. I was able to get almost direct replacement pumps. The only difference in the new with factory warranty Fawcett Purolator pump was; a stainless steal outer housing not OD Tan or green, lack of inline electric capacitor filter, and 1/8 NPT female inlet and outlet, not the male on the original pump. Just took a 1/8 NPT brass pipe nipple. I personally would go this route, not used or new old stock parts. However just my personal opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks