• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a and welding

tcastcas

hello all, im looking to see if anyone is using the -002a for powering a welder for light duty applications. the venerable lincoln 225 in the 70-100 amp range. dont know how the -002a will handle the initial arc strike. think the secondary on the transformer is 35 vac. within the output of the generator once the arc has been started. certain the transient spike is several times more than that when starting the arc.

Keith_J

Not an issue at all. I've run my Miller Dynasty 200 DX on 200 amps output burning 3/16" E6013 rods off my 002a. Sails right through it, even though that is 8.1 kW draw. You can run a 225 Lincoln all the way with an 002a, seeing how a 3/16" rod only lasts about 30 seconds at 225 amperes.

You will run into duty cycle limits with the welder long before you overload the generator.

Triple Jim

Unlike the Dynasty, that Lincoln is a transformer machine, and draws more current than the inverter type Dynasty. At full output, Lincoln says it draws 50 Amps at 230V, which is over 11 kW. tcastcas, I'd expect the Lincoln to run fine from the 002A if used in light duty applications like you asked about, but as you probably know. not at full output.

tcastcas

Thanks Jim, I was calculating the current based on the voltage of the secondary of the transformer. Most definitely light duty use only. My biggest concern was the transient current spike when striking an arc. Any idea if a dc welder draws less current or a shorter spike when striking an arc. Given it has the capacitors, reactor and rectifiers to absorb some of the current. Thanks much for your input and any advice. Love this forum, what a great place for real world advice.

Triple Jim

I've been welding a long time, both with transformer machines and inverter machines, and I never noticed any transient spike when starting an arc. Back when we used a lot of incandescent lighting, you'd think a current spike would dim the lights momentarily, like starting a big motor used to, but there was only a mild flicker while welding, as the current changed a bit.

With a transformer type welder, I would think that the very design of the transformer that lets you limit the welding current also limits the current when you drag-start, or stick a rod. In any case, I think it will be the welding current that will be your limit with the MEP-002A and that Lincoln.

Do you already have the 002A? If not, maybe consider an 003A, or if you do, an inverter welder for bigger work. Or as you said, do the low current jobs when on generator power.

tcastcas

thanks again Jim, ive had this welder for years and just recently pulled it out of the shed where it has sat for 20+ years. plugged it in and it worked great. Bought it used in 1980. already have the 002a. just been playing with its versatility. thanks again for the input!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC which is actually a little bigger "buzz box" than your Lincoln. It's running off a 50 amp 220 plug and I've never tripped the breaker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks