• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Blue Smoke

Racky

Ok I finally got to work on my 2nd generator. I found a stuck IP plunger and a broken plunger guide. I was able to get plunger free and replace guide installed new o rings.I installed IP and got the generator running It first was surging and making lots of blue smoke. The surging stopped and the blue smoke slowed down but did not stop. Any help with this as always is appreciated.

Thanks
Racky

Jimc

Not sure what effect it will have but when you put the plunger guide on the plunger shaft, there was a dot in one side. That dot needs to be facing a certain direction.

Jimc

here is a pic of my broken one.

IMG_1064.jpg

i dont see the dot on mine here so its on the other side but it is there and should be on all of them as jerry said. somewhere in the manual it shows the dot and which way it needs to be when you reassemble. im not even saying this is your problem. i just thought i would mention it since you had all that apart. if you didnt see the dot then you have a 50/50 chance you got it right and since its not running right now it would be a good place to start.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The blue smoke indicates your burning oil. Is this the first you got it running? My bet would be the rings need to loosen up. I'd put a good load on it and see if that would help the rings heat up and expand.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
All the drive washers have a hole in them. That hole looks like a loaf of bread. 3 "square" sides and one with an arc. Wish I had a pic of one to post right now.

storeman

Gimp,
Are you referring to the infamous "bowtie" washers you sent me? Center looks like a bread loaf? Black in color with elongated ends/arms? Racky, is that what you are referring to? It does not have a dot on it and it doesn't matter facing up or down. The block does matter.
Jerry

Last edited:

Jimc

ahh, drive washer. the bowtie. the center hole that turns the plunger is "D" shaped. if that is what the op is talking about then yes no dot on that lol. i agree with the running it too. if everyone remembers even after i went completely through mine i had all sorts of strange stuff goin on when i first fired it up. crankcase blowby, smoke, etc. took about 30-45 min of good hot running to get everything all set and now runs perfectly clean.

broken but only pic i had on hand

image.jpg

your right gimpy. looking at the ambach manual they do call that a plunger guide

Last edited:

Racky

Epitts yes that is the part I found broken also Gimpyrobb hooked me up with a new one. I finally got back to the generator tues afternoon. I let it run under load it still smoked the exhaust actually burned your eyes standing a fair distance away. So I decided to recheck the pump timing guess what I was 1 timng mark off. Well I retimed the pump and guess what the smoke cleared up and it ran so much better. When I was letting it run it blew out the fiber gasket right under the injector adapter on the number 2 cyl. I shut it off and I am now waiting for parts.

Racky

Racky

I put it all together it smoked at first than cleared up. I was letting it run without a load while I was cleaning up the tools and it suddenly shut down. It was very hot cooling shutters were wide open. Well tomorrow is another day.

Racky

Jimc

Well under no load mine can run for hours in these temps and the shutters dont even come close to opening. When i first got done rebuilding mine and i fired it up first time and my pump wasnt right it was dumping tons of fuel in the engine. it got hot real quick. Under a no load condition i cant think of anything else that would cause overheating that quick.

Racky

When I took the pump apart it had a very light varnish coating inside . I am going to make a educated guess that my injectors are the same. I will be removing them later today to take to the diesel shop. I hope thats it if not I will pick his brain. I will keep you guys in the loop.

Racky