• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002a comes home.

EO2NMCB

Picked up yesterday from Rock Island, IL. GL rep there was great, had the set on the forklift ready to go when we got there. It was listed as scrap in last weeks sale, so it was a roll of the dice. Showing just under 1500 hrs. All fluids were drained, but today she fired to life on the first try. Want to say thanks to Speedmon for all of his post and wisdom on the 002, 003 sets. Made life easy with all the filter numbers, and what to do before the first start up!:grin:

Attachments

Isaac-1

Congrats on the generator, just one more bit of proof that GL classification means nothing. Let me ask did they weigh your vehicle before and after loading? I bought an 18 month old large networked HP color laser printer that was listed as scrap a couple of months ago, and had to be weighed in and out, I was told all "scrap" was handled that way (all the printer needed was toner).

Ike

EO2NMCB

Isaac-1, they didn't do any weight in or out, just put it in the bed of the dodge and away we went. Was nice that it was listed as scrap as no EUC was needed.

Carl_in_NH

Interesting - since the MEP-017A I bought was also listed as scrap - but required an EUC. It came through the process as scrap, too - because there was no normal paid-in-full invoice to download, one had to be emailed to me, and I was told by GL that was a normal process for scrap.

The auctions just closed on a number of MEP-002's here in Kittery, ME; I was bidding on a few - but there were no bargains to be had. I stopped bidding when I thought the price was too high - and yet they all closed for about 30% more than I thought was too much. That makes them more than three times as expensive as my MEP-017A - although likely worth more, given they are diesel and 1800 RPM - two key features I'm still looking for.

Given the way prices were going, I figured I was approaching the point where I could buy one or two further away and have them trucked in instead of going after the small amount that were local.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EO2NMCB, I'm happy to hear that you got a good one, and a "scrap" unit with no EUC is even better. I'm happy to hear that you find my posts helpful, I'm happy to share the little knowledge I have with anybody who would like to listen.

Carl, Keep watchin the auctions and trying...if you see any around Ohio, or PA that you want to bid on, don't be afraid to ask the SS network for pick-up and storage help. I would be glad to help out if you find one in my neck of the woods, I could try to help with a recovery, and storage until you could get around to getting it. And there are a bunch of others around who would help too.

Isaac-1

The laser printer I bought as scrap a couple of months ago had a standard invoice, I also won a MEP701A / MEP-016B 3kw diesel generator at almost the same time (next day, not scrap), but due to the EUC processing time had to make 2 trips to pick up (15 miles), I paid just under $500 after fees and taxes for the generator, today I watched 3 MEP-002a's (no ASK) end at another nearby locaiton, the cheapest one with over 4,000 hours on the meter went for about $700 before fees, and the highest with a low hour replacement meter went for about $1,000. Which is a lot cheaper than they were selling for around here 6 months ago.

Ike

Carl_in_NH

Thanks Speddmon and Isaac. I'll keep my eyes open - I'm really looking to get one of these diesel units before the cold weather sets in here in New England.

The MEP-002A's here all closed around $1300 - give or take a hundred or two, based on hours shown, condition, and whether they had an ASK (or most of an ASK).

Seems to me I can do better at one of the other sites and ship 'em here to New England.

Whoops - sorry for the thread hijack.

Congrats E02! You gotta love these beasts. I'm wiring up a solargizer attached to the outside of my barn to keep the batteries topped off. Something I think you may want to consider.

I have ANOTHER electrical question. What is the best way to determine if these units are producing good CLEAN electricity?

Carl_in_NH, $1300 is waaay too much for a single 002 unit alone. For comparison, I purchased 2 002 units (1 -3hr w/ASK unit and 1 - 200hr unit) for $1200

t~

Isaac-1

First off no generator produces clean electricity, at least not compared to the power company, newer inverter style units could potentially do better than traditional units like the MEP-002a. This is mostly due to the high voltage generation and distribution system which tends to smooth out the noise. As to seeing how bad the noise is on your set, just about any oscilloscope will tell you everything you need to know, either an old analog or new digital storage model will work, just don't expect it to look like line power. Ask the old ham radio and electronic repair people you know if they have one, or if you want to you can pick up a basic older unit that may work ok off ebay for under $100.

Ike

Monty

Congrads on the pickup, It's great to hear you had no troubles picking up the unit and it fired off right away for you.
I'm going to pick up mine next Wednesday from Rock Island hope I get as lucky as you.

Chad

EO2NMCB

Monty hope yours is as good or better. GL rep was great, but didn't get his name. Plan on the set being dry, No air, oil or fuel filters. Also the fuel lines had been disconceted. Only thing that was MIA was the grounding rods. Can you tell from your lot pics if it has a 135 painted on it any where? Mine was from the 135th chem co.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OBC,
Ike is right, you're not going to get a generator for home use that will give you grid quality power, unless you run the output through a power conditioner. They can be had, I've never looked into prices, but I can't imagine they are cheap.

On the other hand, at least for the MEP series of generators anyway, they are a "brushless" design meaning have a rotating field with an induction field exciter. This means that they will give considerably cleaner power than most of your bog box store brand generators. Personally, while I have mine online, I still run my computers and other electronics. As with your computer, you should have your TV, DVD and other high end electronics protected with a surge supressor. The electrical noise and voltage spikes are exactly what they are desinged to protect against. About the only time you should see any major spikes in the waveform would be when you are doing any motor starting, and that's not all the time.

Monty

mep 002

Monty hope yours is as good or better. GL rep was great, but didn't get his name. Plan on the set being dry, No air, oil or fuel filters. Also the fuel lines had been disconceted. Only thing that was MIA was the grounding rods. Can you tell from your lot pics if it has a 135 painted on it any where? Mine was from the 135th chem co.
I can't see anything on it as far as unit designators, it does have an interesting camo color.

Isaac-1

Based on the info over at olive-drab.com it looks like your generator is painted in the old 4 color camo layout introduced in 1975 which was replaced by the 3 color NATO scheme in the late 1980's. The regional color variation seems to be the one for Winter North America and Europe.

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks