• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Dies after 10 minutes

tkmo061

Purchased a couple of MEP-002As on a trailer and have started working on the first. Both were supposed to be in running condition, but have sat unused for some time. I had a bad IP in the first unit and just finished installing a new one. I was able to fire up the generator and after a couple of minutes it smoothed out and was running great with no smoke. The only load on the generator was a 300 watt work light on the convenience outlet. I adjusted freq and voltage and let the unit run. After about 10 minutes the unit started running rough and then died about a minute later. The cooling louvers had opened about half way at this point. I let the unit cool down and started it again with no issues. After about 8-10 minutes had the same problem. Ideas on what to try next?

Ryan

dependable

Did you clean out fuel system and change filters.. ect? Could be fuel system is gummed up. Happens a lot with these. Suggest you check out the WIKI. It may be you can clean out fuel system, unstick IP plunger and be fine.

Isaac-1

A couple of suspects come to mind,

1, back pressure from the return fuel line if clogged may be causing this:

2, bad oil pressure switch, if it is getting weak then it may be cutting out as the oil pressure reduces due to oil heating up.

tkmo061

Update: Tried to cold start the unit today with no luck. It wants to start but fails. Blue smoke during the initial crank then quickly turns to white. Fuel tank is clean, both fuel filters were replaced, water separator element cleaned, and the strainer on the fuel pump cleaned before swapping out the IP. I'm also getting a good return to the tank. I'm now thinking something let loose in the lines and clogged an injector or two. I'm assuming that is what trying the Marvel Mystery oil will address? I'm willing to give that a try before becoming an injector expert.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loosen/disconnect the fuel line, at the injector 1st, before you go to the injector, and see if your getting fuel there. But 1st, is the timing good? Did you adjust the valves ? Sometimes, that will tell you something!

Isaac-1

If you follow Rosco's suggestion, wrap a shop rag around the loosened fitting as the fuel can shoot away from loosened lines with considerable force.

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks