• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A engine on a log splitter

sewerzuk

So...

I purchased an -002A a few months back from Fort Lewis. It had taken a tumble at some point in its life and was pretty banged up, but for $180 I figured it would be good for spare parts for some other -002's and -003's that I own. It was missing the voltage regulator and a few other small parts, but after some tinkering I managed to get the engine running. I figured I might be able to use the engine for something...

I have this hydraulic log splitter that my grandfather built years ago; it worked fine, but it had an antique gas engine that occasionally required extra attention; after sitting, it required a shot of ether, a battery charge, points filed, etc. to get it running. So, I WAS planning on buying a newer engine to replace it with. My spare -002A engine got me wondering if I could make it work...

One long weekend and the project is finished...so far it works great.

Here's how I went about doing it:

I stripped off the old wiring harness and set it aside, then lifted the control box and fuel filter assembly off. I pulled the fuel tank off, and then lifted the engine and generator off of the skid. I separated the generator from the engine and then took a look at what I had spread out on the floor.
I took the rotor out of the generator; I set it in my band saw and cut the flywheel side off of it. It was about 2.5" in diameter, so I chucked it up in the lathe and turned it down to a little less than 1.5", to fit the hydraulic pump adapter. I pressed the adapter on and then welded it into place.
I sat the engine on the splitter chassis and then bolted up the pump, and shimmed up the engine mounts in order to line up the crankshaft with the hydraulic pump shaft. Then I made a mount for the flywheel side of the engine (I had to remove 1 pair of motor mounts from the generator head, so the motor needed another mount to keep it from rocking back and forth).
Once the motor was bolted down, I made up a bracket to hold the factory fuel strainer and one filter, and I bolted down the fuel tank.
I made up a battery tray and holddown out of some 1" stainless flat bar and bolted in a couple of group 51 batteries.
I took the wiring harness and cut off all of the plugs and wiring associated with the generator, and plugged in all of the engine control plugs. Then I got to work on the control box...
The cover of the control box is conveniently separated into engine and generator sides, but the rest of the wiring and components aren't as segregated. I thought about putting the entire box on the splitter, but the thought of a bunch of unused meters and switches didn't appeal to me. So, I broke out the saw and basically cut the generator section out of the box, and then TIG welded the box back together. I spent about 6 hours with a schematic, and pulled out all of the unnecessary wiring and components, and consolidated all of the connections to one terminal board. About 50 zip ties and a few ring terminals, and it was all back together. And, amazingly, it worked on the first try. I left the oil pressure and temperature safety features installed...basically, the engine operates the same was it did when it was part of the generator set. I made up a simple bracket to bolt the box to the splitter, and then bolted the throttle cable to the side of the box.
An hour or two with a body hammer and a couple of dollies took most of the major dents out of the tins, and a can of black paint covered all of the bare metal.
An air filter assembly from a skid steer filters the intake air.

Overall, the swap went pretty fast...probably 20 hours of my time. I only had to buy the batteries; the rest of the parts and materials were sitting around my shop. So far, the engine seems to work excellent in this application. I was worried that the loss of all of the mass in the rotor might cause the engine to "hunt" when it wasn't under load, but so far it seems perfect.

Here's a link to a video of the splitter in operation:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ND56kvOrbk[/media]

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a pretty ingenious use for a spare piece of military equipment that you had lying around. My only moment of shock and awe was when I read that you chopped up the generator head rather than use your impressive fabricating skills to make an adapter plate. Otherwise, good work.

Heavyopp

Thats definately interesting and your hydraulic ram certainly moves fast. I'm curious how this will work under load with the slow 1800 rpm's of the hydraulic pump. Definately not going to reach full pressure but I wonder if that will matter with all that extra horsepower.

Tonage on a splitter is all relative to pressure from the pump and the diameter of the ram.

Definately interested to see how it works out under load.

sewerzuk

That's a pretty ingenious use for a spare piece of military equipment that you had lying around. My only moment of shock and awe was when I read that you chopped up the generator head rather than use your impressive fabricating skills to make an adapter plate. Otherwise, good work.
Thanks! I had originally planned on making my own adapter plate, but the generator head was full of rust/water/etc. and, although it may have still worked, I figured I was better off hauling it in for scrap. Hate to have a pile of parts lying around that may or may not work, and I will likely never use...

I did save all of the parts that were good from the generator side of the control box...frequency transducer, meters, transformers, etc. The main breaker box itself was smashed, but I also kept most of the parts from it, including the CVT, rectifier, etc.

sewerzuk

I'm curious how this will work under load with the slow 1800 rpm's of the hydraulic pump. Definately not going to reach full pressure but I wonder if that will matter with all that extra horsepower.
Hydraulic pumps are positive displacement pumps, so they will build maximum pressure at almost any RPM. If you run them at a slower RPM, they simply move less fluid, making the driven components move slower. However, the VE4 I pulled off of there had a maximum governed speed of 1800-2000 RPM, and its operating speed was 1400 RPM. So, I'm actually running the pump slightly faster with the -002's engine.

tenmilebay

Great job! Enjoyed the video and pictures. I won a mep-003 awhile back on GL which is missing quiet a few parts. Would like to put the ole girl back together if possible. Good to see that you made good use of your unit! TMB

sewerzuk

ran it for a few hours this weekend; what a great improvement over the old gas engine! Easy starting, uses about 1/2 of the fuel, faster ram cycle times, and more compact footprint. Worth every second of time I spent on it. Has me wondering if I can get my hands on some more super-cheap "junk" -002's and -003's to replace other small engines I have around my house...

sewerzuk

Thought I would post an update on this thing...so far, I have split 9 cords of wood with it for myself. My neighbor split a little more than that for herself. I loaned it to a friend, and he and his family split 14 cords of wood in 2 weeks!! It has seen several smaller jobs, too.
The MEP-002's engine has worked out perfectly. Zero repairs, problems, etc. It uses about 1/4 the fuel of the engine it replaced, starts every time without difficulty, has more power than the old engine, and is significantly more compact. No complaints at all.

steelypip

Very nice - looks like a complete success on all fronts.

I'd never had the fan shroud off mine, so didn't know the oil cooler was such a thing of beauty. No wonder they take forever to get warm...

sewerzuk

I had a large hemlock tree blow down during a storm about a week ago. The tree came down across a creek on my property and blocked an access road easement for a local logging company. So, I turned the tree into firewood! Over 4 cords of wood from one tree! The splitter has run through dozens of cords of wood with zero problems; I shot a minute or two of video of the splitter at work on this tree. It destroys those giant knots in the hemlock rounds!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4vP9mlDI08[/media]

sewerzuk

Great use of old iron, all you need now is ear protection and a grapple hook!
Thanks!
It may not show in the video, but I always wear the little foamy ear plugs when I'm cutting/splitting wood.
I am considering some kind of a log lift for the splitter; as it is right now, I either have to lift the logs up myself, or sue the tractor and pallet forks. It would be much more efficient with a lift built into the splitter.

NJ_Toolnut

Sewerzuk,

I am in absolute awe of the electrical/electronic, engineering, welding, fabrication and machining skills you demonstrate on all of your projects. Well done! The 002a engine does not even sound like it is laboring! I split about 4 cords of mixed aged hardwoods myself last fall, the "hard" way (using an axe and a sledge and wedges). Recovering from such opportunities to get exercise now takes longer than it used to when I was younger. If the opportunity presents itself, I would like to build a splitter similar to your unit. Would you happen to have the pump specs for pressure and flow rate and the length and inner diameter of the hydraulic cylinder?

KEF791 has a YouTube channel with excellent videos and is also a machinist and fabricator. He built a splitter with a hydraulic lifter you might want to check out. If you incorporate a lifter into your unit, you are required to update us with a new video!

Stan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks