• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Engine Stop Solenoid

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a new solenoid from Drake Controls SA-2779-A and it does not have a return spring to force the plunger down to the stop position when the generator is in the off position. I am contacting them now about a return.
If the return does not go thru perhaps you can try to see if there is any commonality between the two solenoids. Use the guts from the new in the old one with the spring. I know this probably sounds too obvious.

Did you try cleaning the contacts? They look a little burned. Have to ask.

Chainbreaker

Just gonna toss this out there...

When it comes to spending Big Buck$ on "OEM replacement parts" I also consider purchasing a used -002a or -003a Gensets that are advertised as: "Not Running" or "As Is". Some gensets, especially on places like Craigslist, etc., can go for a few hundred dollars & you get everything: wiring harness, fuel pumps, gen head, control box, fuel tank, injection pump, etc. If you were to purchase each part individually your well over a grand plus in parts pretty quick.

Often you can end up with the part you need, albeit used, & if you should choose to eventually get the "donor genset" running you end up with a complete "spares set" or even a potentially working backup generator.

So far, everything that I purchased that was not running or alleged to have run x-years ago were fairly easy to get running. That way, I know every part is good and unit can be used either as a "roll in backup unit" or "parts donor" in time of "mission critical power outage backup needs."

With the -002a & -003a series parts listed on places like eBay have become much scarcer than ~10 yrs ago or gone up a$tronomically if you can even find the part you need.

2Pbfeet

I have been looking for that elusive "parts" unit for years and still have not found one near me. I thing Ray and Chainbreaker got them all!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
(y)(y)

I think local supply and demand seems quite variable across the country. I have never seen a "not running" unit within a couple hour drive of here. Almost the only MEPs that I see for sale locally are either out of state ads, and for wonderful prices...if you are the seller, like several times surplus wonderful. ($10k for an '803, plus shipping from out of state.)

Failing at doing the same thing over and over again is supposed to be the definition of stupidity, but I keep looking locally for that magic "not running" unit.:ROFLMAO:

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Guyfang

Staff member
Failing at doing the same thing over and over again is supposed to be the definition of stupidity.

No. I tend to call it tenacity. And find it a quality rare in in life.

The quote is: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results”, words widely credited to Albert Einstein.

2Pbfeet

Failing at doing the same thing over and over again is supposed to be the definition of stupidity.

No. I tend to call it tenacity. And find it a quality rare in in life.

The quote is: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results”, words widely credited to Albert Einstein.
Yes, yes, you are right.

Brain fart on my part. What is stupid is misquoting someone, especial Einstein.

You definitely called the tenacious part. I will call the insanity part on me as well.

I hope that you are enjoying Oktoberfest!

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Guyfang

Staff member
😂 😂 😂

The Fest is something everyone should see once in their life. I went twice, back in 74 and 76. I have almost no memory of both visits. I do have a picture of me hanging onto a set of the huge horses that pull the beer wagons. I drank, the first trip, a beer in 8 tents. That's 8 liters. Then what whipped me, was trying to convince a young lady soldier to hook up with us. She only drank vodka. Shots. I tried to drink beer and vodka. Not good. The second time I hooked up with people I had never seen in my life. After 7 beers and champagne, it was off to La, La land. You could not pay me to go back. Its too big now. Plenty of small fests going on around our town right now. And a liter cost 12-13 euro at the Fest. here, 4-5 euro. If I go to the store, 3 euro.

rickf

I was also there in 76!! I was visiting a friend in the Air Force in Wiesbaden. Well, I was going to show those Germans how a good ole big US farm boy drinks beer. Yep I showed them all right. I will say this, German people are very polite and accommodating, at least in 76 they were. A few of them managed to get me to a bench of the beaten track where I promptly passed out. A couple police officers would check on me once in a while to make sure I was still alive and once I was in somewhat of a condition to kind of stand on my own they helped me back to my hotel and even got me all the way to my room. Fantastic people, you would never get that kind of service here. I have not been back to Germany since unfortunately but if I made it back I think I would have steered clear of the festival.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the return does not go thru perhaps you can try to see if there is any commonality between the two solenoids. Use the guts from the new in the old one with the spring. I know this probably sounds too obvious.

Did you try cleaning the contacts? They look a little burned. Have to ask.
I looked them both over and I dont see anywhere to put a spring inside it to make it function like the original one. the body of the solenoid is a smaller diameter.

I did more troubleshooting and it appears my DC voltage regulator is charging the battery too high, i saw it get up to 30 volts. So maybe the voltage regulator went bad and wiped out the engine stop solenoid. I need to look into it more but i think i need a new voltage regulator and then I can look into the engine stop solenoid.

For the engine stop solenoid... is it just positive on one side and negative on the other? I think that is all it can be. When i checked for power on mine while it was running, I didnt get any power to either terminal that would go to the engine stop solenoid. I looked at the wiring diagram and cant understand why im not getting power. I tried tracing it around and still nothing. I also noticed that my volt gauge does not work now as well. It worked before.

I dont think it will effect anything if i run the engine without the engine stop solenoid, correct?

2Pbfeet

Well, I would be reluctant to do it unless it were an all out emergency.

Diesels that get overfueled are prone to runaway and catastrophic failure. For that and a few other reasons, I would have a plan to shut yours down if the worst happens.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Ray70

I wouldn't think 30V would cause a problem for the fuel solenoid.
The charging system is going to operate at 26-28V normally so I doubt the solenoid would be that sensitive to an extra 2V.
It is an indication that your DC VR is going bad, but probably didn't kill the fuel solenoid.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking for that elusive "parts" unit for years and still have not found one near me. I thing Ray and Chainbreaker got them all!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Three about 4 hours from you:

One about 3.5hrs away:

Further away:

rickf

Probably the only one out of the first group I would consider would be the last one and that is not really a parts unit if it runs and makes power. I am obviously further south than you think. I am 5.5 hours from your 4 hour picks. And that is the problem, with diesel at 4.50 a gallon and the truck getting 12-14-MPG that adds substantially to the price. I bought my units when they were only 350.00 in running condition!!! You can't touch a good running unit for 4 times that now. The parts machine in the one pic never showed the business side of the engine. probably a reason for that. It was probably just as stripped as the rest of it.

So STILL Looking for that elusive parts machine NEAR me. And I might add in here, at a parts machine price!!!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guesstimated based off Pemberton (your listed location). Either way, everything today either has had a squirrel orgy on it, or is gold plated. Good luck in the hunt.

Guyfang

Staff member
I looked them both over and I dont see anywhere to put a spring inside it to make it function like the original one. the body of the solenoid is a smaller diameter. You bought the wrong part.

I did more troubleshooting and it appears my DC voltage regulator is charging the battery too high, i saw it get up to 30 volts. But did it STAY at 30 volts? Are your batteries good? So maybe the voltage regulator went bad and wiped out the engine stop solenoid. NO I need to look into it more but i think i need a new voltage regulator Could be, but trouble shooting first saves money and then I can look into the engine stop solenoid.

For the engine stop solenoid... is it just positive on one side and negative on the other? Yes I think that is all it can be. When i checked for power on mine while it was running, I didnt get any power to either terminal that would go to the engine stop solenoid. I looked at the wiring diagram and cant understand why im not getting power. I tried tracing it around and still nothing. If the safety circuit is in safety mode, then you are not going to get and voltage at the POSITIVE terminal. The NEGATIVE terminal should show you no power anyway I also noticed that my volt gauge does not work now as well. What volt gage? AC? DC? It worked before.

I dont think it will effect anything if i run the engine without the engine stop solenoid, correct? Only if you let it over speed

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked them both over and I dont see anywhere to put a spring inside it to make it function like the original one. the body of the solenoid is a smaller diameter. You bought the wrong part.

I did more troubleshooting and it appears my DC voltage regulator is charging the battery too high, i saw it get up to 30 volts. But did it STAY at 30 volts? Are your batteries good? So maybe the voltage regulator went bad and wiped out the engine stop solenoid. NO I need to look into it more but i think i need a new voltage regulator Could be, but trouble shooting first saves money and then I can look into the engine stop solenoid.

For the engine stop solenoid... is it just positive on one side and negative on the other? Yes I think that is all it can be. When i checked for power on mine while it was running, I didnt get any power to either terminal that would go to the engine stop solenoid. I looked at the wiring diagram and cant understand why im not getting power. I tried tracing it around and still nothing. If the safety circuit is in safety mode, then you are not going to get and voltage at the POSITIVE terminal. The NEGATIVE terminal should show you no power anyway I also noticed that my volt gauge does not work now as well. What volt gage? AC? DC? It worked before.

I dont think it will effect anything if i run the engine without the engine stop solenoid, correct? Only if you let it over speed
The DC volt meter was not working. If the DC volt gauge is not working, could that be connected to or related to any of the other problems I had? Problems such as one thing went out and took the volt meter with it, or there is an issue in the wiring and now both are not working. All of the wiring is original and appears to be in very good shape.

It was higher than the 27.5 volts that was in the manual as the spec for the voltage... it was hanging out at 28-30 volts. My main concern with that is that the higher than normal voltage could cause damage to other components, such as fuel pumps or any other electronic board?

rickf

28 volts is a normal charge rate for 24 volt systems. 30 volts is certainly not going to "take out" anything. It is only 2 volts over spec. What you need to do is get into the trouble tree and start from the beginning and follow the diagnosis steps to the letter. If you start skipping over things you will just be chasing your tail. When it comes to a problem like this these guys that actually know this stuff will tell you exactly the same thing that you have got to follow the proper steps. Firing the parts cannon at it is just wasting money and hoping for a good outcome. Even if you get it to work that way it may not work for long if you did not correctly diagnose the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks