• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Exhaust Question plus Machine Resurrection

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember what I said WAY back somewhere in this thread about electrical problems? Start with the grounds and then the connections. I followed that up with proper diagnostics will solve the problems where throwing parts at it will just cost money and aggravate the problems. A lot to be learned here. Don't get frustrated, you are in the learning phase. AND, especially this, you are actually listening to these guys who are actual experts on this stuff, That not only helps you out immensely but it also gives you a very high standing with the community here! You have no idea how many times we try to help people and they either say they will do what we ask and then do something else or they simply disappear after probably doing what was asked and fixing the problem but never thanking anyone.
Absolutely
I’m learning the best I can

Experience matters and is very appreciated!!

Yes, I’ve spent a bit on extra parts, but they will not go to waste.
Especially with a possible second machine.

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, the problem is not between K3-X2 and TB4-3.

What do we have between TB4-3 and TB4-12?

1. Wire # P59C
2. Canon plug J2, pin M
3. Wire harness, Plug K2 Pin M
4. Wire # P59B
5. Canon plug J16, Pin A
6. Wire Harness P16, Pin A
7. Wire # P59A
8. S7
9. Wire # P55F
10. Canon Plug J16, Pin B
11. Wire harness P16, pin B
12. Wire # P55E
13. J2, Pin B
14. Wire #P55D
13. TB4-12

Thats all there is.
First disconnect J16, (the wire harness to the S7. Put a paper clip in pins A&B. Try and start the set. If it starts, S7 is bad/Maladjusted.

If it still not starts, the you need to check all the wires and plugs listed above. When they go into and back out of plugs. Where the ring connectors hook to a TB.

Then drink beer. Or Paul Horn.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok
Had to check

Did a jumper wire on the S7 cannon plug as recommended.
It started
Took off jumper wire and reconnected plug
It started……”but” it had been a while and engine cooled off quite a bit.
Fairly cool day today.

Started engine and let it run for a while.
Shut it off and attempted restart and got the now usual click/clunk

Hooked up jumper wire as before and engine started right up.
Reconnected plug and no start.

S7 wins it.

Guyfang the master called it.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A second muffler will not be used.
With the extra length of pipe, will this create too much back pressure and cause the unit to run hotter than normal?
Should be no longer 4’ max.
my main mep003 has regular plumbing black pipe exhaust... The pipe extends horizontally to the back of the trailer to a 90 that clears the rear hoop, and then straight up as a 3-foot stack with rain cap .. On the top of the connection box I mounted an old-time pipe support to carry the weight.. When I want to close the tarp endflap i just rotate the stack downward .. There is about 6 feet of pipe in the whole exhaust and has never caused a temperature problem .. It's either 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" pipe, I don't recall.. It does not have a muffler , and as others have mentioned, what is very noisy is the clattering of the engine and whine of the genhead itself, not the exhaust .. I realize you have an 002, but noise-wise, same difference

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
my main mep003 has regular plumbing black pipe exhaust... The pipe extends horizontally to the back of the trailer to a 90 that clears the rear hoop, and then straight up as a 3-foot stack with rain cap .. On the top of the connection box I mounted an old-time pipe support to carry the weight.. When I want to close the tarp endflap i just rotate the stack downward .. There is about 6 feet of pipe in the whole exhaust and has never caused a temperature problem .. It's either 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" pipe, I don't recall.. It does not have a muffler , and as others have mentioned, what is very noisy is the clattering of the engine and whine of the genhead itself, not the exhaust .. I realize you have an 002, but noise-wise, same difference
It’s very loud and shakes like a rock crusher.
Still don’t like the exhaust in my face when I’m on that side of trailer.

Once the issues are ironed out, its main job is to sit and wait for an outage, so I’m not overly concerned about it.
If I would be using it more and towing it around to use elsewhere, then I would do something about it.

The issue tarps don’t exist anymore for these.
Will keep the bows and rig up an enclosure for it.

rickf

As soon as Guy read off that list of wiring and said that is all there is to it I about died laughing. I figured you were headed to the liquor store about then. A lot of people do not realize that to some of us this is no big deal, have diagram can repair. But to others a diagram and anything electrical, brings on the sweats and anxiety attacks. You have handled this better than anybody else I have ever coached on this forum, by far. And I am sur the spare parts will go far on the next one or ten sets you get. It does amaze me how and why the military makes anything simple so damn complicated when you really need simplicity in the field. My Grand dad had an old WWII gen set with a Willys or Dodge flat head engine. And it was as simple as those vehicles were to work on. As was the generator itself.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as Guy read off that list of wiring and said that is all there is to it I about died laughing. I figured you were headed to the liquor store about then. A lot of people do not realize that to some of us this is no big deal, have diagram can repair. But to others a diagram and anything electrical, brings on the sweats and anxiety attacks. You have handled this better than anybody else I have ever coached on this forum, by far. And I am sur the spare parts will go far on the next one or ten sets you get. It does amaze me how and why the military makes anything simple so damn complicated when you really need simplicity in the field. My Grand dad had an old WWII gen set with a Willys or Dodge flat head engine. And it was as simple as those vehicles were to work on. As was the generator itself.

What bothers me about the schematic is I don't know what all the symbols mean (yet) and understanding the detail flow.

I could show you the schematics of the Hydraulic Systems on a MH-47E Chinook helicopter and it would probably look Alien to you, while I know it by heart and fully understand it and it's workings, etc. or the Weight & Balance charts.
I totally understand the electrical systems also, but its not broken down to this detail. Not for us Aviators anyway.
That's what the wonderful mechanics are for.

I do pay attention and am always thankful for any and all help.

Guyfang

Staff member

I am one of those people who break out in sweat, and have often broke out in an anxiety attacks. I am Dyslectic. For years, I was in mortal fear of even looking at one. Then one day a very good friend, (thanks William Earl! ) sat down and walked me through a simple diagram. And every day after that, at work, we went through them, (MEP-115A) and after a while, it got better. Still not able to read them like some of the pro's here, but it is what it is. Start easy, work from there.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I am one of those people who break out in sweat, and have often broke out in an anxiety attacks. I am Dyslectic. For years, I was in mortal fear of even looking at one. Then one day a very good friend, (thanks William Earl! ) sat down and walked me through a simple diagram. And every day after that, at work, we went through them, (MEP-115A) and after a while, it got better. Still not able to read them like some of the pro's here, but it is what it is. Start easy, work from there.
I’ll learn the symbolically eventually.

Obviously I will try adjusting the switch first.
The threaded rod preventing me from taking the S7 cover off has a safety wire through it.
Don’t want to cut it off……unless absolutely necessary.

Is there a danger of screwing something up trying to adjust it with the cover partially on?

The TM says to set the clearance while it’s running.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0299.jpeg

I can get a Dremel in there.

Will cut rod “up to” the safety wire.

IMG_0298.jpeg
This is as far as I can get it off for the moment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks