• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP -002A Fuel Pump Needed, or not?

edgephoto

Well, I understand the "to each his own" stuff, I didn't understand why "as long as you don't need a ladder to reach the fill" line.
I live on a mountain, we get big winds, my tank is still relatively protected by my house. I feel for ya if you have to fear that your government would issue you a cease & desist order over a tank, I guess that's why I live "out with the cows" in Idaho. I don't think that a tank that has a bottom 5 or 6 feet off the ground is "up in the air", as people have been using gravity to feed fuel forever. Like you said, to each his own.
I did not intend to insult you. In my town a tank that is elevated 5-6 feet off the ground would attract attention. A 275 gallon oil tank with the bottom 5-6 feet off the ground would be 8-9 feet off the ground if laid flat. I don't think I could get my oil guy to climb a ladder to fill it. The state also has laws regarding outdoor tanks. I used to live in cow country and it was nice not having to worry about what the people working in town hall thought.

I will probably go with a 30 gallon drum. That and the day tank will give me 72 hrs or so of operation. Then if I can't easily buy more fuel I will just use oil from my heating oil tank. I am going to tee a fitting and pump off that tank so I can fill jerry cans. I will also use the pump and jerry cans to fill my 30 gallon drum. Diesel fuel is $.80 more per gallon than #2 oil. Not that 30 gallons is that big of an expense. I need to test my setup and the fuel. I may have to add anti-gel to the #2 during winter months.

rickf

I think you will find the #2 is already winterized in the northern states. Most oil tanks are outside so it has to be free flowing down to any expected low temps. And I have to agree with the elevated tanks. Here on the east coast they are very strict (anal!) about oil tanks. You can't have them underground anymore and they can't be elevated and OH, By the way, "We don't want it to be visible" either.

storeman

I'm having no problem with home heating oil here in VA and have not used additives. My 275 is generator only and fuel is 1-2 years old. Certainly wouldn't try that with gasoline and I don't draw off a filter at the bottom of the tank.

Triple Jim

Man, I'm glad I moved out of the DC area! Here in rural NC I could have 55 gallon barrels of fuel side by side on my property line instead of a privacy fence, and no one would care.

Incredilion

I did not intend to insult you. In my town a tank that is elevated 5-6 feet off the ground would attract attention. A 275 gallon oil tank with the bottom 5-6 feet off the ground would be 8-9 feet off the ground if laid flat. I don't think I could get my oil guy to climb a ladder to fill it. The state also has laws regarding outdoor tanks. I used to live in cow country and it was nice not having to worry about what the people working in town hall thought.

I will probably go with a 30 gallon drum. That and the day tank will give me 72 hrs or so of operation. Then if I can't easily buy more fuel I will just use oil from my heating oil tank. I am going to tee a fitting and pump off that tank so I can fill jerry cans. I will also use the pump and jerry cans to fill my 30 gallon drum. Diesel fuel is $.80 more per gallon than #2 oil. Not that 30 gallons is that big of an expense. I need to test my setup and the fuel. I may have to add anti-gel to the #2 during winter months.
Edge, I wasn't insulted, it's all good. Here, there's a lot of tanks, some people have huge ones, others have little ones, most people don't mess with a tank that's less tha 500 gallons, and the majority want gravity feeding, so the higher the better. Our oil guys that deliver, they are tough. If there's 2 feet of snow on the gorund, they chain up their tankers & drive through it. If a tank is high, you give them a ladder, and watch them go, becasue they're used to it. Sometimes it amazes me what folks have to live through in other areas of America to do things; I have Buyers come here & ask: "what do I need to do in order to cut down some trees on the property?" I tell them; get a Husky or a Stihl, and go to it". Then I ALWAYS get the same line:
"No, I mean, what kind of permits do I need, who do I need to talk to"?
Sad, to me.

edgephoto

Edge, I wasn't insulted, it's all good. Here, there's a lot of tanks, some people have huge ones, others have little ones, most people don't mess with a tank that's less tha 500 gallons, and the majority want gravity feeding, so the higher the better. Our oil guys that deliver, they are tough. If there's 2 feet of snow on the gorund, they chain up their tankers & drive through it. If a tank is high, you give them a ladder, and watch them go, becasue they're used to it. Sometimes it amazes me what folks have to live through in other areas of America to do things; I have Buyers come here & ask: "what do I need to do in order to cut down some trees on the property?" I tell them; get a Husky or a Stihl, and go to it". Then I ALWAYS get the same line:
"No, I mean, what kind of permits do I need, who do I need to talk to"?
Sad, to me.
I do not need a permit to cut trees. We are not that bad, yet. Most of the zoning laws are good. I do not want a windmill, 30 junk cars, etc next to my property. Enviromental laws are enforced here and are strict. Mostly the town just wants your money for a permit. I was adding a deck to my last home. I went to town hall for a building permit. I even had a detailed drawing. The clerk never looked at it. He wanted my $25 check. When I asked if he wanted to see the drawing he was honest. He told me " it is your deck, you have to sit on it. We just want your money."