• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a fuel return line

BrutusM37

Where does the return line from the injection pump to the fuel tank connect on/near the injection pump?

Bought a Mep-002a a year ago, runs fine, carries a load, etc. Fuel return line (says “From Inj Pump” on tank end) was just dangling under the engine. Checked the TM but nothing definitive in the schematics. Is there supposed to be a tee fitting on top of the IP where the return lines from the injectors join and connect? Pictures attached.

If that’s the case, I’ll gladly buy one if someone has a parts unit available unless it’s a generic item. The next question is why did someone modify it?

13337875-8B3A-427C-A321-FA07C806CFAA.jpeg59D1B851-0D5E-4042-9B6D-EFBF3EF89917.jpeg

Ray70

You're correct, that fitting on top of the IP is supposed to be a Tee with the return line pointing forward.
It's a flare fitting, 1/4" tube I believe.
You can probably find it at a good auto parts store, if not I have them.

BrutusM37

You're correct, that fitting on top of the IP is supposed to be a Tee with the return line pointing forward.
It's a flare fitting, 1/4" tube I believe.
You can probably find it at a good auto parts store, if not I have them.
Thanks you for confirming my suspicion! By “front” you meant the control panel eng of the gen? I’ll see what I can track down. I wasn’t sure if it was some special fitting since it looks like 1/4” flare from the return line (as you mentioned), NPT into the IP, and AN/JIC to the tank return. Adapting to AN shouldn’t be hard since I have space in that direction.

Ray70

Correct, towards the control cube.
Only down side is that you may have to either remove some sheet metal or remove the IP to get the fitting in.
The vertical end is usually touching the underside of the sheet metal when installed.
Is the end of your return hose a Female JIC? I can't recall without going to look if that fitting has a male 1/4" JIC threaded into the side?
So you're going to end up with 1/4" Male NPT on the bottom into the IP, 1/4" flare tube on top and probably 1/4" Female NPT with a JIC to NPT adapter for the return line.

BrutusM37

Yeah, it’s pretty tight in there. Hopefully I don’t have to pull the IP but that shouldn’t be too hard (famous last words).

Yes, the return to tank line is female AN/JIC.

Thanks for the clarification on which is the front. I’ll have to spin the unit around in the garage so I look at the right end ;)

Thanks again for the help!

Guyfang

Staff member
Do I detect, an insincerity here? Since 1973, its been drilled into my head. Cooler/radiator, front. Control panel, back. That means the right side, is always the right side. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you civilians.

This is a very important fuel line. Because as long as it sends fuel back to the tank, you know its getting to the IP.

BrutusM37

Honest question with a touch of sarcasm. I didn’t know what was officially the front. Now I do.

And who are you calling civilian? When I was active my gens put out 425 kW each, I could parallel all three if desired, and I knew which end was the front (kinda obvious when they’re mounted to the hull of a ship).

Guyfang

Staff member
Honest question with a touch of sarcasm. I didn’t know what was officially the front. Now I do.

And who are you calling civilian? When I was active my gens put out 425 kW each, I could parallel all three if desired, and I knew which end was the front (kinda obvious when they’re mounted to the hull of a ship).
Et tu, Brutus? Could not help myself, had to toss that in here! 😂

I most humbly apologize! Had I known you were a Squid, I would not have included you in my statement. I am deep into Led Zep, good German beer and a long day behind me. Practicing my beer drinking for next week.

Rich, :D I figured nothing less!

Everyone stay healthy!!

BrutusM37

Et tu, Brutus? Could not help myself, had to toss that in here! 😂

I most humbly apologize! Had I known you were a Squid, I would not have included you in my statement. I am deep into Led Zep, good German beer and a long day behind me. Practicing my beer drinking for next week.

Rich, :D I figured nothing less!

Everyone stay healthy!!
No offense taken! However, I was a puddle pirate, not a squid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks