• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Fuel Strainer - How Tight?

LuckyDog

I cleaned everything in the fuel path from the tank to the IP.

When putting the fuel strainer back in, I couldn't figure out how tight to make the seat (retainer) that holds it in place. Too tight and I might starve the fuel flow. Too loose and I let too much crap and water through.

I tightened it up until I saw the cleaning fluid (Mineral Spirits) just squeeze out.

Should it be tighter or looser?

She ain't running right yet. So I am trying everything I can before spending money on an IP replacement.

jbk

i believe its a thumb type nut so hand tight will do. if your fuel, tank, pump strainers and filters are clean you will be fine. why do you think you might need a ip replacement.

LuckyDog

The plunger was stuck.
I pushed it back in, then (with a ratchet) cranked the motor over. Repeated until the plunger would move in and out by itself when ratcheting the motor.

That got fuel to come out the injector lines when cranking over with the starter. Haven't cracked the line recently, but last time I was NOT real happy with the amount coming out the front line. (#1)

Fired up, sometimes runs good and smooth for a couple minutes, then getts REALLY rough and slow. Blows Black, Grey and White smoke in various amounts out the exhaust.

Let it sit for about a minute with the fuel pumps priming and the whole thing repeats. Best run I got so far is 6 minutes.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the IP is just full of crud. I can't imagine a bad IP starting off good and then going bad after a few minutes. Any mechanical problem in the IP should be evident from the start. I would try a complete tear down and cleaning of the IP before I bought a new/rebuilt one.

LuckyDog

Speddmon, That is what I am thinking / hoping.

It those darn fittings on the pump that are preventing me from gettin' 'er done. (That and the winter weather)

Maybe this weekend I'll get pictures of the trailer it is sitting in. Sort of like a conastoga wagon. The trailer came with the racks. So, a friend and I used PVC Conduit to make some bows. Found a green tarp that does the trick. Now it at least isn't under a foot of snow. (But it is dark in there.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks