• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a help

VA350

I have a MEP-002a that I am having troubles with. When I first got it I went through and replaced all filters and cleaned the fuel system prior to starting, everything looked good. When I went to start it everything was working properly, starter was turning over fine. It cranked over and almost started then the starter stopped cranking. At this point the fuel pumps worked and pre-heat worked but the starter wouldn't crank. Now I am not getting power to anything. So far I have replaced the relay, starter switch, and starter. Just swapped them from a MEP that is working. Any suggestions what else to look at?

mistaken1

Welcome to the site.

Did you download the free manuals? There is a trouble shooting section in them that may help.

So right now you have no 24V power to anything? DC Circuit Breaker?

Batteries good? Battery ground connection to the unit? Trace the positive wires until you find the point where voltage is no more .....

buck

There is a speed sensor that kicks the stater out when the engine reaches running rpm. It may or may not be the initial root of your problem. It's on the opposite side of the genny from the starter under a little oblong cover.

Mine also intially started and ran perfectly, then after maitenence acted like it had a low battery (starter kicking in and out). If out of addjustment enough it would not turn over.

I would guess that you now have a connection problem with one of your replaced items also, that you need to trouble shoot before getting to the speed sensor.

If you don't have one yet, do yourself a favor and get a TM for your unit and read through it a few times and get to know your genny.

Be patient and don't get discouraged, if it ran initially, you'll be able to get her going again. Get a test light and find out where the power break to your switch or pumps is at, fix that, then move on to the starter.

Of course, this is just my best guess. I'm still learning as well, but the frustration I'm sure you're feeling is still fresh in my mind, so I hope this helps.

When I get some time later I'll run out and snap a few pics of the sensor I had trouble with and post for you. Good luck.

buck

Yeah, sounds like you may just need to reset the breaker on your control panel for your power problem. Here are a couple of pics of the rpm sensor I needed to adjust on my set. Just remove the cover and adjust it with a screw driver if that's the problem. You can check it by having someone turn the switch while making the conection in the sensor with a screw driver.

These are great power units that will last for a long time if you keep them properly maintained.

Attachments

VA350

Thanks everyone for the responses. Right now I have the batteries and parts back in my running MEP. I know I have a bad starter solenoid so I will have to pick one up. Also when I was troubleshooting last night I was seeing about 18.5 volts at the circuit breaker and light switch with fully charged batteries. When I turn on any power, lights or master switch, the volt meter goes back to 0 volts.

buck

Not to keep on about it, but that's exactly what I thought was wrong with mine. If you're sure that's the problem, OK, I'm just trying to save you the headache I went through if it's not. That sensor cuts power to the siloniod when the engine is running so the starter can't engage with the switch. When out of adjustment it cuts power to the silonoid creating the illusion that it's bad. It just sound very much like what I had going on, so I'm sorry for dragging on if you do have it figured out.

By the way, if you find a parts source for these starters I'ld be interested in that information. Thanks.

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone for the responses. Right now I have the batteries and parts back in my running MEP. I know I have a bad starter solenoid so I will have to pick one up. Also when I was troubleshooting last night I was seeing about 18.5 volts at the circuit breaker and light switch with fully charged batteries. When I turn on any power, lights or master switch, the volt meter goes back to 0 volts.

It would help to know just exactly how you are taking these voltage measurements. When you take a voltage reading across the terminals of a switch or a breaker, you'll show voltage across the connections when the switch or breaker is "open" and 0 volts once the contacts close.

John

VA350

I got it figured out, bad connections at the starter and solenoid. I cleaned the connectors and reconnected them and now everything is working as it should besides the starter. Thanks again everyone. I should have known last night it was a bad connection.

Grega

Bad grounds and rusty connections are common since these gennys have been sitting outside since the 80s. I had a reciently aquired mep 002a that the frequency meter would read 60 one minute, 40 the next, then zero and then 60 again. Cleaned the 4 screws that hold the frequency transducer to the rear of the control cabnit. Now the meter works fine.

VA350

Buck, you asked about a source for the starters. I've found them at a couple places. Southern Automotive Wholesales Inc., Green Mountain Generators and I believe Delk's Surplus has them also. I've ordered generator parts from Delk's and they are great to deal with. I found Delk's thru this site.

Isaac-1

The starter on my MEP-002a that came from GL in June has a Southern Automotive label on it, so I guess that is where the military gets theirs at the moment.

Ike

VA350

Ike, I have a MEP-002a from GL that has a newer starter with a Southern Automotive label on it also. I found them on the internet and it looked like I could order directly from them. After looking further they look to be a government contractor and manufacturer. Has anyone tried to order from them? I tried contacting them without success.

Isaac-1

They sometimes run ebay auctions, selling parts, but have / had a strange exclusion with no in state sales in MI. I think I bought something from one of their ebay auctions a couple of years ago, but don't remember what. (oil cooler?)

CTXKIGER

Hi, I am having the same problem with a MEP-002A I just purchased. I noticed that someone had been into it before and left the cover off the rpm sensor in your pics. Would the RPM sensor also cause the unit not to prime? I can hear it trying to prime when in auxiliary fuel mode but not in the standard fuel mode. Also how do you adjust the rpm sensor.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.[

Jason

QUOTE=buck;1199383]Yeah, sounds like you may just need to reset the breaker on your control panel for your power problem. Here are a couple of pics of the rpm sensor I needed to adjust on my set. Just remove the cover and adjust it with a screw driver if that's the problem. You can check it by having someone turn the switch while making the conection in the sensor with a screw driver.

These are great power units that will last for a long time if you keep them properly maintained.[/QUOTE]

Isaac-1

I think both my MEP-002a and MEP-003a are missing that little cover also. For best results I suggest you start your own thread and describe your problem in detail there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks