• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A hookup through subpanel

Brad900

I have a detached garage with a 100amp subpanel. It would be easier & quieter if I could keep the gen near my garage. Is there a way I can hook up my gen through the subpanel to feed my house( I know I have to have the main breaker off) or is that against code becuase of no transfer switch & possible backfeeding

Thanks

Jimc

Thats exactly what i do. I feed my shop which is 600ft from my house then it backfeeds up to the main panel. Is it against code with no transfer or lockout, probably but who is checking and as long as you know what your doing no harm will be done. Just always remember when the power goes out first thing you do is turn the main off. Once the main is off you can do what you want.

quickfarms

It is against code due to the possibility of back feeding.

A panel interlock kit is only about $20 for most panels.

If you have to ask how to do it then you should follow the code. I would not install a power inlet plug unless you use an interlock or transfer switch.

That being said it will work as long as you turn off the main breaker first

Brad900

Thanks for the responses. The interlock is $150 for my panel but it would not work for what I wanted to do, it would if I never wanted power to my garage. I guess I will install a inlet box with a dedicated line, breaker & interlock

Jimc

Yes in our setup it wont work and in mine i cant even run a dedicated line to my main panel because its 600ft away. I am forced to be careful. Is no real big deal for me though since i know whats going on. I would never want anyone else to start up the gen though and try to power up the house.

212sparky

You can put a pin lock on that traps the key so when the main is on, the input breaker is locked out. You turn off the main, lock it off, pull the key then unlock the input breaker. Then all is safe.

quickfarms

Professional electricians use manual lockouts and temporarily hard wire the generator to the panel.

I recommend interlocks or transfer switches for those people that are not very familiar with electricity and are not comfortable working with it.

The last time an inspector inspected my work his only comment was that "he has never seen an installation were each outlet was a home run to the panel because it would be to costly."

Be very careful with electricity. It is dangerous and can be deadly. If you are not 200% confident that you understand what you are doing you need to hire a professional. The electrical code was created to protect everyone and is evolving based on experience and technology.

Jimc

Actually thats an interesting idea rob. Basically a lockout for seperate panels. Is that a common way to do it? Is there a kit available for this or do i need to design something up?

212sparky

I will look up the part numbers Monday. It is common place on our high voltage switch gear to be able to source from separate ring services as well as different generators.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last time an inspector inspected my work his only comment was that "he has never seen an installation were each outlet was a home run to the panel because it would be to costly."
You ran a home run for each outlet? He's right, it's awfully expensive as high as copper is and it makes for a lot more connections in the panel.

With that said, I'm guilty myself of making more circuits than needed. I do it mainly so I can isolate different parts of the house easier.

quickfarms

You ran a home run for each outlet? He's right, it's awfully expensive as high as copper is and it makes for a lot more connections in the panel.

With that said, I'm guilty myself of making more circuits than needed. I do it mainly so I can isolate different parts of the house easier.
It was for my shop

212sparky

this is what i was thinking of. breaker control lock.jpg

Circuit breaker locks work similarly to those used on transformer-rectifiers. The lock is usually either a single one-tumbler lock or a single two-tumbler lock. At least one tumbler will be keyed the same as a lock on the corresponding transformer-rectifier ground switch. This key would be released from the circuit breaker only when the lock bolt was extended; thus assuring that power was turned off. The transformer-rectifier ground switch could then be "unlocked" and moved to the appropriate ground position. The two-tumbler lock is used when a panel switch lock is used on the transformer-rectifier control panel. The extra key is released when the lock bolt is retracted, the key released is used in the control panel switch lock which when turned to the proper position allows the controls to be switched on.

quickfarms

this is what i was thinking of. View attachment 438299

Circuit breaker locks work similarly to those used on transformer-rectifiers. The lock is usually either a single one-tumbler lock or a single two-tumbler lock. At least one tumbler will be keyed the same as a lock on the corresponding transformer-rectifier ground switch. This key would be released from the circuit breaker only when the lock bolt was extended; thus assuring that power was turned off. The transformer-rectifier ground switch could then be "unlocked" and moved to the appropriate ground position. The two-tumbler lock is used when a panel switch lock is used on the transformer-rectifier control panel. The extra key is released when the lock bolt is retracted, the key released is used in the control panel switch lock which when turned to the proper position allows the controls to be switched on.
That is neat. Where do you find them? The only down side is that if someone uses the spare key you could have problems.

212sparky

Usually any electrical supply house can order them. You can always get rid of the spare key, since one is captured At all times. They also come wirh single lock versions. It was the first picture I found of the system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks