• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A hz dropping under load

Ray70

The Fram filters (oil and fuel) fit correctly, but some of the WIX and NAPA filters have wrong gaskets and wrong size holes through the center (oil) from what I've read. If you aren't hearing any return fuel to the tank you might have a restriction somewhere down stream from or at the injectors. The slow click of the fuel pump seems about right. Once the system is pressurized they slow way down and just click a little. Also, do as Isaac1 suggested and add in some ATF or cleaner, then start it up and give it a good hard workout and see if things improve.

Jimc

just as a note, out of 4 generators that i rebuilt last year, thats 12 injectors total.....i had every one gone through by storeman and there wasnt a single one that was in spec. they were all out. even if they are clean you cant expect a spring that has been compressed for 30 years to still be holding the same psi as it should. if its off just a little then engine power will suffer. you could have one sticking or popping at a low or very high psi and not atomizing properly. not saying this is your problem but it never hurts to remove your injectors and have them tuned. its easy to do and inexpensive. if it turns out not to be the cause then you are out very little and you have narrowed your search.

Chrispyny

just as a note, out of 4 generators that i rebuilt last year, thats 12 injectors total.....i had every one gone through by storeman and there wasnt a single one that was in spec. they were all out. even if they are clean you cant expect a spring that has been compressed for 30 years to still be holding the same psi as it should. if its off just a little then engine power will suffer. you could have one sticking or popping at a low or very high psi and not atomizing properly. not saying this is your problem but it never hurts to remove your injectors and have them tuned. its easy to do and inexpensive. if it turns out not to be the cause then you are out very little and you have narrowed your search.
I agree entirely.

I'm having a similar issue with mine. My thread is long gone but i won my auction for my '93 002a with 89 hrs on it in april. Went thru the entire machines fuel delivery system from top to bottom. Got it running easily. Built a load testing station , and put everything aside for another project. Now summer is nearing its end so i pulled out the generator this past saturday to start it up and put a load on it to see how it did. I put a hair dryer and a dual bulb halogen work light on the machine for a total of 2200 watts and it bogged down from 62 hz to 55 hz immediately. Upon reading this thread sunday night, i removed the blower cover for good access to the star adjuster on the governor. I found the spring was at its top most position on the star screw adjuster. I have since moved it down to dead center but havent tested the machine yet as i have 2 other household projects i'll be wrapping up shortly. I hope this resolves my droop issue.

On a lighter note, i also sent my injectors off to storeman for a rebuild. If i remember correctly, neither were off more than 1000 psi from spec. I think one was only off by like 200 psi. Storeman may chime in if he remembers. But my machine only had 89 hours on it so we didnt expect the injectors to be off by much.
Regardless, in my opinion its very very smart to get the injectods out of the machine, out of the heat sinks, adjusted properly by storeman, and reinstalled with liberall amounts of antiseize between the injector and aluminum heat sink. I now have the security of knowing that part of my whole ststem has been gone thru completely.
Good luck with your issue. If tou dont mind , i'll post my results later this week as well. I love this site !

Jimc

Even 200 psi is significant. 1000 off or even set to 1000 is extremely low. Mine varied from 1200 to 2200. They are supposed to be 1750 if i remember right.

toypar

I finally had a chance to change fuel filters and drain and refuel with fresh diesel. It seems to run a little better. It still drops from 62.5 hz to around 59 with a 75 percent load. The droop adjustment seems maxed out. When I put a 85 percent load it drops another hz. I am able to manually control the throttle to keep it at 60hz. I messed with the governor spring by lowering it halfway between the pivot point and the star wheel. Seemed to work way better, but it always ends up right below the star wheel and my problem continues. Anything over 100 percent load and it drops rpm and can't recover. I'm guessing around 6.5 to 7 kw and it falls on its face. My gauge was reading 110 percent load. For some reason the governor doesn't seem to be compensating by giving it full throttle. Maybe my injectors are popping off too low. What is a ballpark figure to get the injectors tested?

Jimc

toypar just send a msg to storeman and he can let you know a price. i dont know what he currently charges. he was always really reasonable with it and a quick turnaround. for the gov setting i remember reading the manual and it was a little confusing on which way to move the star wheel to increase and decrease the droop. it seems opposite what you would think. i found on my own generators that lowering the spring on the corkscrew adjuster decreased the droop and made things react quicker. my 003 after i had the injectors done and adjusted that i have only a 1hz drop from 0% to 125% load.

Jimc

sounds like the gov is doing all it can to compensate for a weak engine due to...........

my 003 would start puffing black at 80% and shut down at 90%. once the injectors were done i can max the gauge at 133 with no smoke.

Last edited:

cuad4u

I agree that getting your injectors "done" is the next step. I have two 002A generators that have rebuilt IP's and rebuilt injectors. Both will run 8000 watts all day with no complaints.

toypar

Update to this thread. Injectors were popping of 300psi low. Had them adjusted and after install and governor adjust generator seems to run a lot better than before. When I load it down with a 4500 watt bot water element, 120v 15a 1.7 hp air compressor and 1200 watt heat gun it only drops about 1hz. Meter shows about 110 percent load. After about a minute hz start dropping to about 50hz until I shut the heat gun off. I calculate about a 7500 watt load. Does this sound normal? Is the compressor really drawing more load since it isn't straight resistive load? And possibly really putting a 125 percent or so load?
It does run a lot better than before and will actually sure past 130 percent.