• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Injection pump disassembly / repair

Ray70

Once installed, leave injector lines loose and bleed them out a bit. Once you get fuel up at the injectors tighten the lines and fire it up.

BlackhawkMTP

Assuming this is the original pump for this machine and it sounds like you took it out without setting at #1 PC first?
If so, yes get the motor to PC on #1 compression stroke and put the 1/8" drill bit onto the hole in the pump to align the gear and slap it back in.
Remember the o-ring around the body that seals to the block and make sure the original shims are reused.
That should get it done. If in doubt you can perform the static timing test, but generally not needed if it's the original pump going back in.
Yeah I didn't set the #1 PC before I took the pump off. Where is the hole in the pump in reference to looking at the pump in the installed position?

I know that the # 1 Cylinder is on the blower side. Am I correct in assuming that the longer rocker arm is the intake valve and the shorter rocker arm is the exhaust valve?

Last edited:

Ray70

Looking at the pump from installed perspective on the left side there is a flat head screw with a copper washer, directly opposite the throttle lever, threaded into the base flange.
Take out the screw and install a 1/8" drill bit, butt end first and turn the drive gear until the drill fits into the slot cut in the gear.
Then put the pump in with motor on PC mark.
Don't forget to reinstall the screw and washer, or you will soon have a wet mess!
I believe you are correct on the longer rocker being intake, but verify by seeing which aligns with the intake runner.

BlackhawkMTP

Looking at the pump from installed perspective on the left side there is a flat head screw with a copper washer, directly opposite the throttle lever, threaded into the base flange.
Take out the screw and install a 1/8" drill bit, butt end first and turn the drive gear until the drill fits into the slot cut in the gear.
Then put the pump in with motor on PC mark.
Don't forget to reinstall the screw and washer, or you will soon have a wet mess!
I believe you are correct on the longer rocker being intake, but verify by seeing which aligns with the intake runner.
Thanks Ray! I will report when it's running.

Guyfang

Staff member
Assuming this is the original pump for this machine and it sounds like you took it out without setting at #1 PC first?

RTB

If so, yes get the motor to PC on #1 compression stroke and put the 1/8" drill bit onto the hole in the pump to align the gear and slap it back in.
Remember the o-ring around the body that seals to the block and make sure the original shims are reused.
That should get it done. If in doubt you can perform the static timing test, but generally not needed if it's the original pump going back in.

BlackhawkMTP

So I did the timing line up procedure and then bleed the fuel lines. When the generator attempts to start it blows a little white smoke then a heavier black smoke as it is trying to start then dies out and the starter is still cranking.

Doesn't seem like it is wanting to start.

Is there a chance that I have it a full rotation out of time?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The TM tells you that if it will not start, after reinstalling, that the pump might be 180 degrees out of time. Then you should time the set again, pull the IP out and rotate it 180 degrees, until the the IP lines back up, and reinstall. Something to consider. This has happened to me several times. And that is how I fixed it.

BlackhawkMTP

The TM tells you that if it will not start, after reinstalling, that the pump might be 180 degrees out of time. Then you should time the set again, pull the IP out and rotate it 180 degrees, until the the IP lines back up, and reinstall. Something to consider. This has happened to me several times. And that is how I fixed it.
Thanks Guyfang, I will give that a shot tomorrow morning.

Ray70

Good work! Glad you were successful! You should have a very dependable machine from here on out! One last word of wisdom.... If you expect the machine to sit for any extended period, read some of the posts here about the quality ( or lack there of...) with today's low sulfur diesel / HHO.
To prevent any further issues with you IP it's always a good idea to treat you fuel with additional lubricants, algaecide and cleaner to help combat the issues with today's fuels. Modern fuels will not last any where near as long as the old stuff could!

Ray70

Mr4BtTahoe, could you please provide your contact's info at Ambac? I called today and was told by Heather , "Unfortunately we no longer sell to the public"
She knows I have bought direct before but said I have to go through an authorized dealer from now on.
I would like to try going through your contact because I know GM charges over twice what I was paying to go direct to Ambac.
I also emailed D&W Diesel up in MA. for pricing to see if they are any cheaper.

Thanks
Ray.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks