• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002a issue

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy. I got a nice mep 002a but it has some issue that maybe you guys can help me figure out.
1: The first three pics are of the fuel injection pump. I have circled silver colored plug that i had to put on since diesel was spilling out when I cranked. The question is wether a plug to bleed the fuel system goes there or a hose to return fuel to the tank.
2. The fouth foto is what looks like a ground of some sort. Its broken. Where does it go and what does it do?
3. The engine will not crank unless I jumpstart the starter. The fuel pump turns on and you can hear the actuator moving but no crank. Any ideas.

Thanks alot.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that 90* fitting should be plumbed with the return fuel line (passes under the generator head, and over to the first right angle fitting on the fuel tank).

Is there a number printed on the wire? Do you see anywhere this might have been mounted to? Is it a single wire connection only or is there another side not seen, with another connection?

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that 90* fitting should be plumbed with the return fuel line (passes under the generator head, and over to the first right angle fitting on the fuel tank).

Is there a number printed on the wire? Do you see anywhere this might have been mounted to? Is it a single wire connection only or is there another side not seen, with another connection?
Im going to check the cable number and report back. Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
I think the wire and broken part you are looking at is S7. The Start disconnect switch. That's why it will not start normally.

If you jump the two wires in the C-plug, it will start. But it will also give you "ring clash", the starter gear being clashed by the flywheel gears. Do you have the TM's and have you read anything in them?

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the wire and broken part you are looking at is S7. The Start disconnect switch. That's why it will not start normally.

If you jump the two wires in the C-plug, it will start. But it will also give you "ring clash", the starter gear being clashed by the flywheel gears. Do you have the TM's and have you read anything in them?
Thanks. I read about the start disconnect switch in the manual but cant find where its placed on the machine. It looks like its clips somewhere on the crank relay coil. Also, do you know how I can get a spare since its broken.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is where the fuel line runs, under the belly of the generator head, and up into the first position on the tank (if you are standing to the fill side of the tank).
Hi and thanks for your help. I was wondering if you could send me a foto of where the start disconnect switch connects. I have included a pic of mine. Many thanks

Attachments

Chainbreaker

Hi and thanks for your help. I was wondering if you could send me a foto of where the start disconnect switch connects. I have included a pic of mine. Many thanks
That part, which appears broken, is located underneath the Start Control Cover and is just one of several pieces located under the metal cover mounted just to the right of the injector & just above the oil filter on the backside of the cooling fan enclosure. You need to open up that cover and see what else might be missing/broken.

In the -24 manual it is located on printed page # 136, 137. (item # 7 Switch Assy With Connector) Reference # 209-0278

Ray70

Take a peek under the cover and let us know what is missing or broken. I probably have all the pieces of the S7 assembly, just let me know what else you are missing besides the broken spring tab in your picture and I'll take a look in my parts stash.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks. I read about the start disconnect switch in the manual but cant find where its placed on the machine. It looks like its clips somewhere on the crank relay coil. Also, do you know how I can get a spare since its broken.
Now you know who can maybe help, and where to look, when you want to see what parts are needed. The TM's are your second best friends. People like Ray and Chainbreaker, (SS forum) are your first best friends. This is an easy repair. But you need to read the TM, to adjust the S7 right. If you need help, let us know.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you know who can maybe help, and where to look, when you want to see what parts are needed. The TM's are your second best friends. People like Ray and Chainbreaker, (SS forum) are your first best friends. This is an easy repair. But you need to read the TM, to adjust the S7 right. If you need help, let us know.
Got her to crank but no fuel to the injectors at all. The fuel just comes right out the return line. I ordered a rebuild kit kt85166 from Ambac. Will report after its done.

Chainbreaker

Have you verified that the plunger guide inside the Injection Pump is not stuck or broken? Its a common issue on units that have sat for a while. Do a search here on SS and you will get several threads showing how to check it.

Chris454

BEING THAT I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS, HAVE YOU CHECKED THE PLASTIC BALL SOCKET TO THE RIGHT OF THE INJECTION PUMP? IT IS ON A LINKAGE(I DONT KNOW THE PROPER NAME OF IT). THAT IS WHAT WAS WRONG WITH MINE. UNFORTUNATELY I TOOK A BUNCH OF STUFF APART BEFORE I FOUND THAT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks