• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a leaking oil at the filter

TheManiac

I didn't see anything in search on this, I've been working on my mep and got it running well but I'm getting an oil leak looks to be where the filter canister meets the engine. I replaced the filter and gasket with the recommended fram filter before running.

I noticed the bolt through the canister doesn't spin freely (seems to want the canister to spin with it). I was able to get it snugged up but the leak continues, not sure if the bolt is bent (doesn't seem to be with bare eye) or if there is something wrong with the gasket channel.

Any ideas? I tried taking it back apart and cleaning the gasket off in good shape, I didn't take the gasket out and clean under it (a mistake). I think my next step is to replace the gasket and make sure all surfaces are clean but the fact the canister and bolt don't seem to fit nicely still has me a bit concerned.

Any help is appreciated!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it apart, remove the gasket and be sure it and it's groove or channel is clean and not damaged. Be sure you re-assemble it according to the TM.

derf

If it were mine and I was keeping it I would look into the spin on filter adapter made by another SS member.

jbk

if its a new gasket remove and flip it so you have a new surface. if not get a new gasket.
examine the can edge be sure its not bent anywhere.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best advise is the spin on filter. Today I had the same problem with my MEP-005. It seems to be a standard ritual with these types of filter housings. I finally gave up today, and will try again tomorrow. One of the keys is to make sure the can turns freely in the groove as you are snugging it up. This assume the gasket is correct and good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks