• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A/M116A2 Recovery

Keith_J

Yes, I have identified running noise as being on the fans and the normal diesel noise which isn't damped due to the lack of a water jacket.

A lightweight "dog house" which simply drops onto the generator should shield these higher frequencies with minimal acoustic absorbing lining, probably 1/2" of fiberglass board.

This is also a weather shield which is why I am laminating it with light fiberglass mat and polyester styrene. Nothing boat-quality., just weather resistant.

storeman

Keith and Don,
I've been thinking along Keith's line of thought but have an opportunity to "supersize" so have adjusted my thoughts. Now new info and I'm curious.

I have an old outdoor walk-in freezer 8x12 from my store which likely won't sell as I close the store. So I plan to bring it home in pieces, reassemble it on the concrete pad under the deck (high deck), and put my 002a's in it along with shelving for parts and generator supplies. My plan is to use exterior metal vent grate, like a furnace filter grate to cover fresh air needs. Basically a hole with a grate over it to keep out pests.

If I understand what you are saying Don, instead of just providing a source for fresh air, I could build ducting from the grate to the units or near them for fresh air and support an exhaust flex line inside the ducting to cover exhaust and that this approach would further cut noise.

Correct?

Jerry :grd:

Last edited:

Roadracer86

I get it home first thing find any goodies. Open tool box I got 6 grounding rods with screw on ends with bolts for driving them, ground wire, sledge hammer, another thingy with handles and the jerry can set up along with 2 more long fuel lines and 6 other things I have no clue what they are yet.
Let me know if you want to sell one of those grounding rods; I could use one for the 003A I just got a couple weeks ago.

Keith_J

Keith and Don,
I've been thinking along Keith's line of thought but have an opportunity to "supersize" so have adjusted my thoughts. Now new info and I'm curious.

I have an old outdoor walk-in freezer 8x12 from my store which likely won't sell as I close the store. So I plan to bring it home in pieces, reassemble it on the concrete pad under the deck (high deck), and put my 002a's in it along with shelving for parts and generator supplies. My plan is to use exterior metal vent grate, like a furnace filter grate to cover fresh air needs. Basically a hole with a grate over it to keep out pests.

If I understand what you are saying Don, instead of just providing a source for fresh air, I could build ducting from the grate to the units or near them for fresh air and support an exhaust flex line inside the ducting to cover exhaust and that this approach would further cut noise.

Correct?

Jerry :grd:
Just duct the hot air and exhaust out from the generator louvers. These generators like to be a bit warm, 90-100 F, for stable frequency. Unless you are driving them very hard (over military rating), taking care of the exhaust air is more than adequate.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quiet Onan

I would be interested in that info.:)

Rick

When I go out to the other location I will take some pictures and write a narrative on the 3-5 and 10Kw On how I quieted them down. Generators with ASK and with out. Give me a week or so and I will post it for ya.

fireman5199

I've gotten an idea for the long fuel hoses that came with the unit. I was going to have my electrician put a small pipe through my wall when he puts my outdoor plug in. Then I was going to cap it off but when I needed the gen for long periods run the fuel hose through that to my heating fuel tank (#2 Diesel) on which I was going to put a T on the outlet so I could hook the fuel line to it.

My questions are. What fittings are on the fuel lines? And could the fuel pump draw fuel the 8-9 feet up from the basement floor to unit? Thanks.

Last edited:

rickf

I seriously doubt the pump would pull that far. It definitely would not be able to prime that much line and that much head.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want that fuel line to work I would pick up on more fuel pump from surplus and install it at the tee at tank to pump up to gen. feed power to pump from aux pump on unit so it only runs when need to fill .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks