• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002a Mobile hook up

xjoutsider

If i wanted to my MEP-002a tralier mounted genset for a 240 source for my welder. I would need wire that has 4 wire. one to L1 and one to L3 to create the 240 one to L0 for the netral and the last for the ground.

I assume i need to drive a grounding rod. (not sure where to source)

Can I just wire a receptacle directly to the wire comming off the generator?

Thanks
James

jimbob1111

I have been using a Hubbell 50 amp Spyder Box (temporary power box) & the 100' 50 AMP twistloc cable.
You shouldn't have any problems wiring a receptacle to the gen, it has 1 inch split bolts.
My 175 amp Hobart mig welder puts the load meter @ 90% on my MEP002A
You can get a NEW military 3 piece ground rod kit shipped for $120 off Ebay. Just search for "MILITARY GROUND ROD ASSEMBLY"
HMFG

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also find ground rods from any electrical supply house, but many of these are copper coated steel. My GI ground rods that came with my MEP-003A are solid copper or bronze, but I don't know if all of the GI rods are solid copper.

jimbob1111

Hi,
That is a generator inlet box, you wouldn't want to use that. You would want the female version of that. You want the receptacle that matches your welder plug.
HMFG

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also find ground rods from any electrical supply house, but many of these are copper coated steel. My GI ground rods that came with my MEP-003A are solid copper or bronze, but I don't know if all of the GI rods are solid copper.

54reo has the GI ground rod kits. All of the GI ground rods I have seen were copper coated steel. FWIW, I keep two of the commercial 8' rods on my gen trailer for those occasions where I can drive the rod into the ground and leave it when i'm done.
Almost forgot, I have new in the box ground rod slide hammers. See below.

xjoutsider

The welder currently does not have a plug on it. Thought about making a extension cord to hook in between the gen set and the welder. That would make this box work. But I am up to suggestions that are not going to cost me an arm and a leg

jimbob1111

Hi,
I'm not a electrician, but as a general rule, the hot side of a electrical connections is female. That way you can't touch the exposed & energized metal prongs of a plug.
Check with any surplus or warehouse sales places in your area, keep a eye on ebay & Craigslist. Last year I bought a pair of much nicer, new 50 amp generator inlet boxes, $75 for the pair,with free shipping on ebay. I got the "LIKE NEW" 50A spyder box & 100' foot cord from Craigs List for $275
If your gonna spend money & make a extension cord, make one that will plug in and be useful anywhere.
Just my opinion, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY
HMFG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks