• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A no oil pressure

dkesler

Hello. 1st time posting.
I have a MEP-002A I bought in 2015, had it rebuilt and has been running well up to this year. After an extended trip this year, wherein the gen was not run for 6 months, it now will start, but will shutoff as soon as I let go the Start knob. Oil pressure gauge shows zero pressure. I disconnected it and blew air into it and the needle moves freely. The hose to it is clear. I checked the oil and it is full.

When starting the gen with the gauge disconnected, no oil is pushed out and there is no pressure felt from the hose. The manual says clean or replace the pieces in the oil bypass, and next is to inspect/repair/replace the oil pump. I also will check the oil shutoff switch for continuity, but without oil pressure it appears to be doing its job.

Before I split the gen and engine apart to check the oil bypass, I would like to have the parts on hand. Even if I don't need them now I'm thinking it can't hurt long term.
So besides Green Mountain and Ebay, to what other sources can I go for parts?
Thanks.

robertsears1

Sorry about the quote with nothing else. I was on an iPad yesterday and the whole first post popped up as a quote and I could not delete it until I was on the desktop.

Last edited:

Ray70

Your best friend when it comes to finding parts is the -24P manual. Find the PN you are in need of and do a google search, some things will come up available from all different places including right from Cummins as well as many engine / generator repair shops etc.
Note: try searching using both the ONAN PN as well as the NSN number, it all depends how things are listed.
If in doubt of the PN you can also often google the description, find the PN then search deeper by the PN.

Chainbreaker

... I would like to have the parts on hand. Even if I don't need them now I'm thinking it can't hurt long term. So besides Green Mountain and Ebay, to what other sources can I go for parts? Thanks.
Have you downloaded the TM's (Technical Manuals) located at the top of this pg. under "TM"? If so, go to the -24P (Parts Manual) & locate the OEM part #'s for the items you are seeking.

Then run a general search using PN's with appropriate description via a search engine such as Google, etc. You might find certain parts cheaper from a parts stocking warehouse vs the more common specialized sellers advertising on eBay, etc. Its good to have options.

Edit: LOL, Ray beat me to the draw by 1 minute & is essentially saying the same thing.

dkesler

Have you downloaded the TM's (Technical Manuals) located at the top of this pg. under "TM"? If so, go to the -24P (Parts Manual) & locate the OEM part #'s for the items you are seeking.

Then run a general search using PN's with appropriate description via a search engine such as Google, etc. You might find certain parts cheaper from a parts stocking warehouse vs the more common specialized sellers advertising on eBay, etc. Its good to have options.

Edit: LOL, Ray beat me to the draw by 1 minute & is essentially saying the same thing.
Yes, I have the manuals. Thank you (and Ray) for your input.

Guyfang

Staff member
Chainbreaker wrote:

I want to make a comment here. The part numbers in the -24P are not always the OEM part number. Take that with a grain of salt. I would say, often they are, but never bet money on it. You can look at the "REF Number", next to the part number. Its in parenthesis. It is also called a "FSCM", (Federal Supply Code for Manufacturers). It tells you who supplied it to the military. That may not always be the manufacturer. You can type it in your search engine and find out who it is. It can help locate parts. ALWAYS, if the FSCM is 30554, then that is MEP, Mobile Electric Power, and its usually, an Army made up number. Still worth a try when searching for parts.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take off the oil hose completely and see if it's not blocked.
When hoses get old and cracked, a chunk of rubber can block the line without fully detaching from the inside.
Hose will look good from the outside.
Almost acting like a check valve.
(Old Brake hoses have this happen all the time.)

I've seen it happen on older tractors.
Worth a check before tearing into engine.

Just a thought

Ray70

Agree with Tinstar, that hose is only a 1/4" ID and even smaller at the fittings, they can easily get clogged being a dead-ended line.
You could crack one of the oil cooler hoses or even loosen the drain plug on the filter housing and start the engine briefly, checking for oil pressure before ripping into the engine. Seems very unlikely to have oil pump failure while sitting unused.

Ray70

Looking at the -24P TM, the 002/003's oil pressure relief valve looks to be at the "end of the line", oil flow wise.
Therefore, even if for some reason it was stuck open, I would not expect it to result in NO oil flow/pressure because the bearings , passages etc. will inherently provide some restriction and some pressure. So before exploring the relief valve I would look at the front of the engine to see if you have any flow at all coming out of the pump. If not, look at the pickup screen and the pump itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks